My undying love for Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicBono

ONE love, blood, life
If you don't like Pop, go away (no, it doesn't count if you like one song from Pop, everyone loves Gone).

If you feel the need to insult ATYCLB everytime someone says "Pop," go away.

If you think Pop is way better than the overrated nonsense known as sliced bread, then stick around.

I made this thread because Pop is my favourite album ever (yes, even more than Achtung Baby) and it's possibly the most underrated U2 album as well. When it comes to Pop, most U2 fans seem to acknowledge Gone and maybe Please as good songs, and that's it. Well, there's 10 other good songs on there folks, and it's about time they had an a:censored:tion thread.

Discotheque - The song that got me into U2 in the first place. It's in my top 5. A perfect start to a perfect album; a fun rock song with a cloud of darkness. Features one of Edge's best riffs ever. And come on, admit it: you love the boom-cha's. The Best Of "new mix" ruins the song by taking out the boom-cha's. Oh, and the video for this song rules.

Do You Feel Loved - A very, very underrated song. The rhythm section is :drool:, especially the bass. Also has some great lyrics. The whole feel of the song is very dark and funky. Do you feel loved? No, that's not the impression I get from this song, but I sure love it. It's a shame U2 didn't play it more live. The live version I have is pretty good and I'm sure if U2 had continued playing it, it would have improved.

Mofo - "Lookin' for to save my, save my soul." Welcome to the dark and beautiful world of Bono. Like Do You Feel Loved, Mofo is driven by the superb and rockin' rhythm section, but what really shines here is Bono's surprisingly confessional lyrics - "mother, you left and made me someone." There's that guilt theme, which continues throughout the album, paticularly in Gone. Mofo became one of U2's best show openers and improved live with an awesome riff during the chorus (thank you, Mr. The Edge).

If God Will Send His Angels - A beautiful and overlooked ballad of sorts. People knock the lyrics; I praise them. "Jesus never let me down/You know Jesus used to show me the score/Then they put Jesus in show business/Now it's hard to get in the door."

Staring at the Sun - Commentry on the troubles of Ireland, continued later in Please. An overall good song, and I actually like the acoustic version played live. The video has some beautiful imagery.

Last Night on Earth - This song kicks so much ass live. Great riff, great chorus, and fuckin' amazing ending live with an extended rock-out solo from Edge. Interesting lyrics with some truth - "The less you know the more you believe."

Gone - The one song that almost everyone agrees is classic from Pop. Do I even need to talk about it? The bass is fantastic (note: the bass is fantastic on Pop, period. In fact, this is by far Adam's best record, and probably Larry's too. Overall brilliant rhythm section), the guitar is god, and Bono sings with power some of his best lyrics. A personal favourite of mine - "You're holding onto every little thing so tightly/til there's nothing left for you anyway." Live I think it was best on Elevation tour.

Miami - Probably the most unfairly hated and underrated U2 song ever. When my friend first heard Pop the first thing he said was "Miami is a great song," and that's how I feel about it too. Again we have a kickass rhythm section and a bizarrely simple and wonderful guitar riff. People hate it mainly for the lyrics - get over it. Miami my mammy may not be the most insightful phrase ever, but it makes for a badass rock song, especially live. Live Miami was incredible.

The Playboy Mansion - Again, unfairly underrated. Again, great bass. The only Pop song that unfortunatley didn't get played live, though it got a glorious snippet at the end of Streets ("There will be no time for sorrow"). I'm not sure if people hate the title or think the song is too slow or too un-U2 or what, but I personally think it's a wonderful song. Very R&B, which is interesting for U2.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Rather than hated, this song is generally just overlooked, which is a real shame, because it's beautiful. The bridge especially, with Adam's pulsating bass and Edge doing some beautiful Edge-type stuff. Some people complain about Bono singing the first part too low, I think it's very sexy :drool: Probably U2's sexiest song along with "Your Blue Room."

Please - U2's most politically powerful song since Bullet the Blue Sky. Out of all the songs on Pop, this one definitely improves the most live, and even though Discotheque is my favourite song from Pop I'd rather see Please live. The bridge is magnificent with Larry's SBS-style drumming and some rather eerie and still relevant lyrics. The end is mind-blowing, with Bono just going nuts vocally and Edge beautifully soloing. Plus the segue into Streets is possibly the best segue they've ever done (Running to Stand Still is pretty close). On the album this song is good, live it is U2 at their best.

Wake Up Dead Man - "Jesus, Jesus help me. I'm alone in this world, and a fucked up world it is too." It doesn't get anymore brutally honest than that. Maybe the reason I love this record so much is because I can identify with the spiritual doubt. At any rate, this is U2's second best closer (I have to give props to Love is Blindness) for an album. And have you heard about all the shit hidden in this song?! It's madness! The entire song "Van Dieman's Land" is buried in there! Pop unfinished my arse. If Pop was unfinished, I wish every U2 album was unfinished.

So here's one for the underdog. Here's one for the best motherfuckin' album on the planet (note: this is called an opinion. Let's not have any of this "ogm ur stating ur opinyon as fact, dummy").

Here's one for Pop.

Discuss :wink:

I love Pop, but I never really liked Gone as much as other people here do. :shrug: :confused: I can understand why they might like it though.

Discotheque....I think just as important as the Boom Chas are the not enough!s that play during the end. Whole ending to the New Mix was hideously underproduced. :madspit: Considering I love the dense production of the studio version, it's unforgivable!

Unfortunately, my copy has started getting skipping during Mofo and Staring at the Sun. :( Only one solution-

buy another copy! :wink:

agree hands down. 8 out of 10 days, this is my favorite U2 album (AB nudges in there sometimes)

i can't understand why its bashed so much. from critics i'd expect it, but not from within the actual U2 fan community!
i've just come to peace that i'll never understand it. it's a shame U2 apparently feels the same way though, by not playing any of the songs live anymore. it seems like they are catering to the consences that it was a failure. i'm love to hear even a single song from it live on the vertigo tour.

AtomicBono said:
If you don't like Pop, go away (no, it doesn't count if you like one song from Pop, everyone loves Gone).

If you feel the need to insult ATYCLB everytime someone says "Pop," go away.

If you think Pop is way better than the overrated nonsense known as sliced bread, then stick around.

oMG!!!!1 i H8 P0P!!!!! iT mIGHt eV3N bE as bAd aS tHAT abOMInaNaTiON kNOwn AS ATyCLb!!!!!111one

LOLZ!

No but I really like Pop. It is an interesting change compared to what U2 had done in the past but musically and lyrically, while different, it wasn't bad. It isn't my favorite album but I do listen to it occassionaly and I rarely skip through any songs.

Heh, I listened to that one again recently after a bit of time having heard it, and I was once again reminded of why I like the album. There are so many great songs on there...I really don't dislike anything off of there. "Wake Up, Dead Man" is a song which I keep forgetting about how good it is until I hear it. "Discotheque" is just fun. "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" is sexy. "Staring At The Sun" and "Gone" have fantastic guitar going in them...yay, Edge, those are definitely a couple of great examples of your talent :yes:. "Please" has great lyrics and a great, albeit sorta creepy, video to match. "Miami" is just quirky. "If God Will Send His Angels" is sad, but beautiful. And so on and so forth.

Yeah. It's a good little album :up: :).

Angela

Why do the critics hate it so much?

Hey AtmoicBono was this thread inspired by my comment in the War vs Boy thread? :D

I have SATS and WUDM. SATS sounds so much like Feel Good Inc it's not funny. But it's an awesome song! WUDM grows on me with every listen. I really like the feel of that song.

I think PoP it's not bashed around here. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are much more, usually by PoP fans.

IMO: HTDAAB > PoP > Atyclb

But of course, this thread is only abot Pop.

This album is usually in 6/7th in my U2 album chart, so I don't :bow: it but I also don't dislike it. I like it, without loving. It's U2, with new sounds, some crap tunes but also some gorgeous tracks.

I must say that Miami must be one of the worst songs I've heard. Probably the 2nd most horrible song they made, after Elvis Ate America. Sorry Miami lovers :(

I also think that Do You Feel Loved and Please have some great lines but they are both too much overrated.

Now that I've talked about what I don't like, it's time to show some love.
Discothèque is a cool funky song :dance:

Mofo, Last Night on Earth and Gone are three great rockers :rockon: The best of this album :yes:

Staring at the sun is a solid song. I've always thought that it was a missing hit, because this song it's catchy as hell.

The Playboy Mansion is, IMO, the most underrated U2 song ever. This song is just lovely and the melody is pretty cool. My 3rd or 4th favourite here.

IGWSHA has great lyrics and beautiful melody but when I heard it, I always think that something lacks... it's a solid song although.

IYWTVD is another underrated song IMO. :drool: Lyrics and :drool: mood.

Finally, WUDM. This used to be my favourite in this album, now I don't care as much as I did. The lyrics and the hidden sounds make this song interesting but the rest is a bit boring.

Well, it's all I have to say :wink:

I never liked Miami, but yesterday, I played the entire POP-cd 5 times in a row for the first time in ages (instead of just playing my favourite ones) and I really REALLY liked Miami.

I love POP, my second favourite U2 album after Achtung. I listen to it more than any other album, and I like that it explores a "crisis of faith" if you will.

I think there are a few Bono moments on that album that we won't be privy to again. Talk about opening a vein and letting it all out! God bless him.

Share the Bono love!

Discotheque -
Do You feel loved +
Mofo -
If God Will Send His Angels -
Staring at the Sun +
Last Night on Earth -
Gone +
Miami -
The Playboy Mansion -
If You wear that velvet dress +
Please +
Wake Up Dead Man +

That's 6 out of 12 - an average album. :wink:

Stunning record, I think it's unfinished quality (well, but u2 standards anyway) actually adds to the power of it. For all the electronica elements in it, it's actually a pretty raw sounding record, just listen to Please and Wake Up Dead Man. It also has some of the best rythmic moments of u2's career, Do You Feel Loved is one of Adam's bass moments, and Please wouldn't Please without the Adam and Larry show on the drums and bass.

I also like the tone on the album, for all the frills, it's u2's darkest album to date. Even darker than AB in my opinion. There's next to no postive energy on this album at all. It also contains so of u2's strongest lyrics (funny how that is, with Edge co-writting ever song with Bono).

When Bono talked about at the time HTDAAB being a 'dragon' or a 'monster', he forgot they had already made one, and it's name was 'Pop'. It's a beast of a record and is my favourite album behind AB. It was u2 freed from making commercial sounding records (ala ATYCLB and HTDAAB) and it suits them. I'd love to hear them tread this path more often.

Pop 3 brillant songs, 5 great, 1 good, 1 average, and 2 stinkers, overalll u2's worst but still good all the same

Discotheque. Good, I prefer best of version.
Do You Feel Loved. Excellent
Mofo. Ok
, awesome live
If God Will Send His Angels. Very Good
Staring at the Sun. Good song, tho Im not a huge fan of it.
Last Night On Earth. Excellent, the best track.
Gone. Excellent
Miami. Ok
Playboy Mansion. Very Good
Velvet Dress. Excellent
Please. Very Good.
Wake up Dead Man. Excellent

5 Excellent songs
3 Very Good songs
2 Good songs
2 Ok songs

I love Discotheque (more than best of, cause the boom chas make it ;)), Last Night On Earth, Gone, Mofo and Do You Feel Loved. The others I love as well apart from Miami and Playboy. (I'm trying to like them though!) I think it's a really good album, I hate when people just put stuff down without appreciating it.

I LOVE Discotheque, Staring at the Sun, Do You Feel Loved, and Mofo on the album. I LOVE Gone, Please (especially the Popmart Please > Streets) and Last Night on Earth live. The rest of the songs are so-so. I'm really a fan of the concept of Pop and Popmart. My bedroom is a Popmart theme and every inch of my wallspace is devoted to giant Popmart and Pop posters. While it may not be my all time favorite album, I appreciate the fact that U2 was willing to step out of their niche and try something new and do a pretty damn good job!

I always loved Gone, but it's always been hard for me to listen to. It's not a song I would put on repeat. I guess it's not nice enough on my ears (a lot like Bullet), but I understand why it's great. Like Bullet.

Disco - Wicked, fucking attitude.
DYFL - Wicked, proper funk.
MOFO - Motherfuckig Rock and Roll.
IGWSHA - Gorgeous, the perfect comedown after MOFO.
SATS - Nice sounds. A boring song but when a song like that, which is so radical in the guitar sound yet isn't one of the best on the album, you know you're overall onto a winner.
LNOE - RAWK.
Gone - Top song, overrated but still great.
Miami - The epitome of badass U2. One of the best songs they've ever made.
TPM - Worst song on the album. By no means a bad thing
IYWTVD - Musical sex.
Please - Drowning man passionate? Please.

And Wake Up Dead Man.. never has Bono been so spot on about the world around us. Never has a song wrapped up an album so perfectly. That cameo falsetto at the end is one of the best few seconds in music history.

Yet, this is only the thrid best album in U2's collection, tied with UF behind the Joshua Tree and Ach-TUNG!

I love Pop. :heart:

I would probably rank the songs as:
Please
Wake Up Dead Man
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
Discotheque
The Playboy Mansion
Staring at the Sun
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Gone
If God Will Send His Angels
Last Night on Earth
Miami

I agree with what amerrydeath said about Gone and Bullet...both good to great songs that can be hard to listen to sometimes.

I love this album. My sixth favorite album by u2(which is very respectable) My favorites form the album

Discotheque, do you feel loved, mofo(best), staring at the sun, last night on earth, gone, please, wake up dead man

I :heart: Pop! It was also my first new U2 album experience, since I became a fan in '95 (I don't count Passengers :wink: ). Speak of the devil..."Discotheque" just came up on my iPod. :D

sans Miami and Playboy Mansion and I think this would probably be my favorite U2 record. maybe I'll make a burnt copy with those two songs taken out.

Back
Top Bottom