More or Vertigo's guitar ( and Edge's style of guitar playing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceane

Refugee
I don't want to bring up the argument of the (now closed) thread again, but reading those posts made me think about Vertigo's guitar signature and Edge's guitar playing in general, so I wanted to comment on it.

When I first heard the 'solo' in Vertigo, I first thought "Wow, this is simple, to say the least. Why didn't Edge pull out a 'real' solo in there?" But the fact is, it's now the part that I'm waiting for in the song, and it just makes me want to put my arms up and jump!

As it has been said many times already, the question has never been how 'complicated' or 'innovative' a particular sound of riff is, but how it makes the listener feel, or how well it fits with the song. This has always been Edge's force, to play a lot when a lot is needed, and sometimes to let just a note or two do all the work.

About 10 years ago I heard WOWY on the radio, and when it came to the last part when Edge comes in with those very simple chords and Larry starts again, I thought "Wow. This is IT. This is exactly what I wanted to hear there." I literally had my 'U2 Revelation' at this moment, and my entire love story with U2 can be drawn back to those three simple chords, essentially supporting the base line. I was just blown away, precisely because it was not trying to be complicated just for the sake of it.

It's like Keith Haring's work (American painter). In a way his paintings are very simple, almost childish, and he was made fun of at the beginning by some art critics because of that. But there is something in his paintings which just goes straight to the point, and that's why (among other things) he is now so famous and has touched so many people. When I look at these paintings I see all the most basic, important things in life: love, peace, friendship, joy, and that is also how Haring saw them I supposed given how he named them.

Now, I'm not comparing The Edge to Keith Haring, because as we all know, he has often relied on more than simple, straight-forward chords, and has played very complex guitar melodies too. But only when it was necessary to bring out the right emotion. Same can be said of Bono's singing and songwriting. Although he has used deep metaphores often, sometimes he will say the most simple, straight-forward thing, but he always sings it likes he wants to tell us "Listen, this is important."

I think Vertigo is the perfect example of that kind of straight-forward, not overly complicated guitar playing, and probably why we all love it so much.

(Ok, so I almost didn't post this because Edge is now on Interference and this really looks like sucking up, but I mean it... )

I totally agree with you. Some U2 songs, or parts of them, take time for me to realize how perfect they are. I’ve been quite enthusiastic lately, I’m not usually like this so happy and throwing so many :up: out there, if Edge ever noticed me he probably thinks I’m an ass kisser or that I just want his attention or something. :lol: But the thing is that it feels so good to listen to a new song from my favorite band and it helps that it kicks ass! :wink:

So here’s another one --> :up:

:lol:

For me his guitar sounds like a cross between the Boy era and Acthung Baby. Now how many people would have gone nuts here if someone had come in before we heard it and said that? Most would have said that it going to be awesome then. Well, it is! :) Its just like most of U2's albums, something a little different, yet you know its U2.

I completely agree with you. The Edge's riff in "Vertigo" is a perfect example of how "less is more." Just think about it - if he had have put a solo in there, the song would have sounded completely different. "Vertigo" isn't really a solo-song, in my opinion.

The Edge has his own style and comfort level in his playing. Oh I don't think he's afraid to branch out, but I do feel he's committed to a certain style of playing that just doesn't incorporate the "solo for solo's sake". His guitar playing has always served the song, and not his own guitar heroics, so I think that those (in other threads) who are looking for something "innovative" or "new" only need to look back at their catalog to see that this is a newer style for the Edge, and just because the riff is simple doesn't mean that he and the band haven't broken new ground.

You know it's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't these days for U2.

In some ways I agree with GibsonGirl regarding the "no real solo" in Vertigo, but I think there was a nice interlude too for a hard hitting solo. I think what he played fits in nicely with the song so I am not too disappointed.

I love Edge's guitar solo in VERTIGO, flows so well with the song. Its barely 3:00, so a longer, more complicated riff wouldnt fit as well. It kind of reminds me of I WILL FOLLOW, thats not a difficult riff to play on guitar but damn, its sounds good.

Make no mistake, Edge can solo very well. Listen to the One tree Hill on New Years Eve 1989, listen to Desire Rotterdam (does some awsome solo going a million miles an hour), all the bullet the blue skies, and so forth. He's just too contempt with the melodical guitar style, which suits U2 perfectly. If he wanted to be the Slash, he could ;)

I would be surprised if we got more than 3 Edge solos on the whole album. Although Miracle Drug sounds like it has one, so that is cool. I think All Because of You might have one, but that is just a guess.

Vertigo will probably have an extended ending like "Exit" or "The fly - Boston"...
It's just that kinda song that won't stop at the "yeah yeah yeah" 's...
Edge will chop down a moutain
Joy to all

Last edited:
silenus said:
Vertigo will probably have an extended ending like "Exit" or "The fly - Boston"...
It's just that kinda song that won't stop at the "yeah yeah yeah" 's...
Edge will chop down a moutain
Joy to all

i SO hope the exit that they do this time around is like the rattle & hum exit.. heck they need to bring back in god's country or helter skelter as well

shaun vox said:
where the hell is the guitar solo in vertigo?????????????????????????

You're right, there isn't an actual guitar solo in Vertigo, which is why I put the word 'solo' inside quotation marks. I was just referring to the bridge part were the guitar is more proeminent.

And of course Edge can do solos... But the fact that he doesn't make them inevitably in every song makes them more powerful. And they're always very melodic. I've always hated guitar players who just go like "Look dude how many notes I can play at the same time !!:der: !!"

It's just that it's been so long since he had an extended kick-ass solo (like in Bullet, SBS, New Year's Day, Acrobat, and Fly...or my personal favorite from If You Wear That Velvet Dress)...i'm ready to hear one or 10 new ones (of course, they have to fit the song and flow, et al).

ATYCLB didn't have many to feast on...

oceane said:
I've always hated guitar players who just go like "Look dude how many notes I can play at the same time !!:der: !!"

Oh yeah. Those and the ones who do like a hundred and twenty bars of gratuitous musical masturbation to drag their solo out for as long as humanly possible.

...v.v.glad Edge is not like that! :D

Renne said:

Oh yeah. Those and the ones who do like a hundred and twenty bars of gratuitous musical masturbation to drag their solo out for as long as humanly possible.

...v.v.glad Edge is not like that! :D

Yeah, I always sort of appreciated that U2 never did that thing live where every musician goes through a big solo to impress the crowd, one after the other... Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, it can be fun sometimes, but I always thought this was kind of showing off...

Who knows, maybe on this tour we'll the part where Larry goes crazy on his drum for 8 minutes and the crowd cheer him like he's a Rock God...:wink:

A Larry Mullen Jr. 8 minute drum solo!?

Well, we can dream, LOL- maybe that's the 'buried instrumental'! :wink:

Judah said:
It's just that it's been so long since he had an extended kick-ass solo (like in Bullet, SBS, New Year's Day, Acrobat, and Fly...or my personal favorite from If You Wear That Velvet Dress)...i'm ready to hear one or 10 new ones (of course, they have to fit the song and flow, et al).

ATYCLB didn't have many to feast on...

I am not one for throwing around solos either, but I also think ATYCLB could have used more. There is that brief one in When I Look at the World that almost made me cry the first time I heard it. Just beautiful.

bsp77 said:

I am not one for throwing around solos either, but I also think ATYCLB could have used more. There is that brief one in When I Look at the World that almost made me cry the first time I heard it. Just beautiful.

Totally agree. The only frustrating thing for me is that, when I hear it I always want it to be longer. I can actually imagine an extended version of this solo in my head that sounds sooo good. When I get technically proficient enough (still learning and developing my guitar skills) I am going to play my extended take on it and share it with everybody here.

edge knows exactly which notes sound good. he looks for them and only uses them to make a feeling or a mood. i love it!
the only person i can play guitar like is edge which i dont think is a bad thing.....i guess if you drown yourself in something youll come out smelling like it
didnt edge say he didnt like long solos anyway "a load of wank" if i remember right

Reggie Thee Dog said:
The Edge has his own style and comfort level in his playing. Oh I don't think he's afraid to branch out, but I do feel he's committed to a certain style of playing that just doesn't incorporate the "solo for solo's sake". His guitar playing has always served the song, and not his own guitar heroics, so I think that those (in other threads) who are looking for something "innovative" or "new" only need to look back at their catalog to see that this is a newer style for the Edge, and just because the riff is simple doesn't mean that he and the band haven't broken new ground.

You know it's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't these days for U2.

In some ways I agree with GibsonGirl regarding the "no real solo" in Vertigo, but I think there was a nice interlude too for a hard hitting solo. I think what he played fits in nicely with the song so I am not too disappointed.

Excellent post. I've used the term "serve the song," too. This is why I love U2: everything they do is make the song better. If Edge needs to step up, he will. Same for Bono, Adam, and Larry. Bono isn't going to wail becuase he can and Edge isn't going to solo, just because he's the guitarist in a rock band. They only do it when they have to; when it enhances the song. Everything else is secondary. There isn't nearly enough of this mentality going around today in popular music.

If you're looking for a band that plays big solos then U2 is not the band to go for. That is not what the Edge does. What he does do is use a perfect minimalist approach with amazing effects to create atmosphere. The bridge sections in Vertigo are perfect examples of this - ringing guitar sounds which were one of the things I was really hoping to hear on the new album and what in my opinion makes Edge the greatest guitarist ever. Who cares how fast anyone's fingers can dance over the fretboard if they can't make the sort of sounds you want to hear - thats what matters, and that's why I dont think it's OTT to call Edge the greatest guitarist ever.

:edge:

"When I first heard the 'solo' in Vertigo, I first thought "Wow, this is simple, to say the least. Why didn't Edge pull out a 'real' solo in there?" But the fact is, it's now the part that I'm waiting for in the song, and it just makes me want to put my arms up and jump!"

I agree absolutely. It is a very big sound and quite joyous. Recently my favourite LIVE song has become Bad - in terms of notes played one of the most stripped back pieces of guitar you'll come across but incredibly effective.

I saw the DVD of Taking Lives the other day. I wouldn't recommend the film as its a nasty piece of work but the opening credits where you see the film company logo as Bad starts and you here Edge's guitar come in, chiming away, sounds like nothing else.

And the best thing about U2's music is that it improves with repeated listening! I can't think of an album of theirs that I like less now than when I first heard it. If Edge was showing off with flashy Solos here, there and everywhere you'd soon get tired of hearing them again and again. I think they work best live as little one-offs to personalise the show.

I'd better stop now as I'm probably going off topic
:silent:

Back
Top Bottom