MERGED-->Full track listing on U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reggie Thee Dog said:
I can't believe "Original Of The Species" made it!!! That's awesome!!!

I have the same feeling if only because we have been hearing about this song for so long. Some article compared to to something Bowie might have done during Aladdin Sane period.

However, the myth of "Full Metal Jacket" will live on. When Bono first mentioned it, he SAID it was a provisonal title. "scorching 45" "song to lead off the album" I wouldnt feel cheated, it's probably on the album as Vertigo. That's the way Bono does it, Beautiful Day reportedly had several names too.

RademR said:
Its pretty cool "One Step Closer" made it, I think thats a ballad. He wrote it with Liam Gallagher. Its a shocker cause he mentioned it like 3 years ago and hasnt come up since. So theres one ballad down, didnt Edge say there would be two? People will look at the list and think "Sometimes you cant make it on your own" would be one, but thats definetly not. A magazine article (I think Q) said its a rough rocker, when Bono played it for them he was dancing around.

Yes SYCMIOYO was mentioned as a song that slowly turned into a "skyscraping rocker". Same article that mentioned OOTS.

I don't think we should be worrying about what happened to songs. Full Metal Jacket may be Vertigo, Tough may be Sometime You Can't Make It On Your Own, Xanax and Wine may be Miracle Drug. But if not, so what? We had never heard any of those songs, maybe they were left off because others were better. The point is, we don't know. Let's be happy about what is there, I am sure the album is going to be great.

not sure why u all thought some of these titles were final??? where did this all come from...sit back and let the band put out the albums

ericbunny said:
not sure why u all thought some of these titles were final??? where did this all come from...sit back and let the band put out the albums

It came from U2.com

I think Origin(al) of the Species has been bouncing around as a title since Pop! Although it's probably evolved <g> a lot since then...

November 4, 2002: During an online chat hosted by BBC personality Jo Whiley, Bono spoke about a new song tentatively called "Full Metal Jacket": "Edge brought around a CD of a new tune. It's just a provision title, "Full Metal Jacket." It's the roughest, it's the mother of all rock and roll tunes. I don't know where it came from, but it's a remarkable guitar thing. You want to hear it. It's a reason to make a record. This song is that good."

February 14, 2003: In an Oscar Awards article appearing on page 25 of the current issue of Entertainment Weekly, Bono talks about the band's Oscar nomination as inspiration to finish a new song: "We've got a song up on the burner called 'Native Son.' The best way I think we can celebrate is to just finish out what we're doing: Make this song a scorching 45. The molecules in the air are vibrating quite nicely as a result of that phone call."

Can we be sure these two are the same song?

Last edited:
I"ll be a happy camper with 1 more rocker on the new album. For some reason I have a feeling this album is going to be AB part 2.

I think what's exciting about titles mentioned long ago making the final cut is the fact that the band has had time (three or more freaking years) to perfect them. There had to be something about them that made the band stick with them. Everyone knows the trials of putting WTSHNN together. Apparently half the Joshua Tree sessions were spent on that song and I think everyone can agree on it's greatness. Then again, there is a song like One which took like two days to finish.

As for Miracle Drug and Xanax and Wine - they are two different songs. Ignoreland, a poster with contacts with the band, was the only person i know to ever talk about the song. He is the one who talked about the "butt kicking" guitar riffs and strong lyrics. Around three weeks ago he snuck in a post that said they were different songs and that he "didn't know what became of the song. It was one of my favorites."

Actually yes. It was probably "Full Metal Jacket" as the demo on Edge's CD. As soon as Bono sang something over it, it became Native Son. U2 have always operated this way. That's why it's best not to worry about some song being "left off" when it's probably called something else.

Bands have to name tracks they are working with SOMETHING.
Or else they would be lost in the studio. That's what the chalkboard/billboards full of song titles are for. Doesn't mean they are all songs, moreso ideas.

It's speculation, but I don't understand the fasciantion with FMJ. In that article, 2 years ago, Bono himself said it was provisional. In that case, there was absolutely zero chance of that particular title ever making it on the finished album. Of course the song is probably on there somewhere, good guesses are Vertigo, but that isn't certain either.

Maybe it was trashed altogether? I doubt it. I just with the mythology of that "song" would die, we've probably all been listening to it 100's of times the past 5 days.

U2girl said:
But isn't "Sometimes you can't make it on your own" the song Bono sang at his father's funeral? That would suggest it's a ballad, or am I thinking of the wrong song?

I think he recited the lyrics to the song at the funeral, it is dedicated to his father. I dont think he sang them.

I'd bet Full Metal Jacket/Native Son is Vertigo...when Bono was talking about it two years ago, it sounded like he just had the instrumental, no lyrics...once the lyrics were written, you had to name it Vertigo... :wink:

i also think metal jacket is vertigo.

i like the tracklist. i was still wishing for 12 tracks though :(. I sure hope we get songs clips soon on u2.com!!! (they seem to be working hard today!)

w00t! A tracklist! Now we can argue over which song is better than the others even though we have no idea what most of them sound like!!:hyper: :wink:
I think I'll agree with the Edgie poster guy who said (in one of those rambling threads) many of the titles surmised previously were actually working titles. Only they really know which songs turned into what...

I´m very disappointed my friends :rant: :down: :banghead: because I heard rumors said the band ( AT LAST !!! ) will finally throw an album with 14 songs :bow:, but now is the same thing...again :sad:

I still don´t understand why U2 is so fond of releasing 40 minutes-long albums ?. Ok, in the 80´s I can understand it, because the band must record for vinyl, but then in the 90´s, Atchung Baby was 55 minutes long, then Zooropa was 50 minutes long, Pop was 60 minutes...and ATYCLB... just 40 minutes !!!! :yuck:

so now, after 4 years, a looooooong waiting, a lot of rumors, fake news, stolen CD´s, etc , we´ll just have another 40 minute album ??? :banghead:

COME ON U2, don´t show you´re dying !!!!:sad:

Evalicious said:
My sister just fell over! She ran into a wall!

No, those two are definetly b-sides. Bono said so in a interview in 1982. He said "we have just wrote a couple of great songs, but we're holding on to them because I think they'd make great b-sides if we ever release an album in 2004".

I seem to have misplaced the link to that interview, but you can trust me on this one.:|

Full Metal Jacket is there....it married another track and had a baby which is on the LP

Mother of all rock tunes is:

Vertigo.

Its only obvious the favourite of the band would be released first as a single and first on the album.

Thats what I think.

Thanks for clearing that up The Edge. Lord knows this discussion would have gone on forever if you didn't step in!!!

Back
Top Bottom