MERGED--> Does anyone else love the new video for Sometimes?? + Sometimes video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
Does anyone else love the new video for Sometimes??

Has anyone seen this video? I think it's about time!!! the best video for U2 for ages.. I love the beginning and I love all the bits with Bono singing on the streets in his MOFO hood...
WOO HOOO Bring on Cardiff.. hahaa

The Mofo hoodie!!:wink:
Yep - the singing at the start, as he's walking along the street, the silent reflecton as he's laying on his bed, the way he walks into where the rest of the band are playing to start the 'siiiiiiiiiing' part and especially the bit that's similar to in the One video, where he says - "You say...." and then just stops miming and looks to the camera!
I can't recall which line that happens, but it's another great moment, in this great new video!

And who would have thought it? U2.com coming up with the goods!!:huh:

Ur right LuvandPeace - bring on Cardiff, see you there!:wink:

Aardvark, I think you mean during the "And it's you.." part, leaving Edge to do the "when I don't pick up the phone" bit.

Anyway, yes. Adore this video. *goes to watch it again*

Yeah what a rocking clip, i felt most of the vids for ATYCLB were boring, this time around they are all good like Achtung Baby.. yay!

Did you get GA Aardvark, every other concert I tried to get tickets for sold out before I could even get to the choose tickets page, I was so f**ked off with Ticketmasters website. I wanted to go to Dublin, Paris and Amsterdam..

LuvandPeace1980 said:
Did you get GA Aardvark, every other concert I tried to get tickets for sold out before I could even get to the choose tickets page, I was so f**ked off with Ticketmasters website. I wanted to go to Dublin, Paris and Amsterdam..

Got seating tickets on the 1st Tuesday that they came out. Pretty good ones too by the looks of it. (They bloody well should be to, given the price!):wink:

should I be scared of GA tickets?? I aint really been to a massive concert before.. I mean I don't want to end up dead heh

Uh...I must be out of the loop here. Where can I find/see this new Sometimes video? I had no idea it was even out.

-Miggy

Best. U2 music video. Ever.

And I say that for completely personal reasons.

Axver said:
Best. U2 music video. Ever.

And I say that for completely personal reasons.

I agree with you totally Axver. The last truly 'great' vid they did, for me, was Stay...(tho I loved Lemon too!)
This tho - is just something else. I love it.

Ok - just watched the video.

Is it just me or does the song sound 'sped up.' Did they do this to make it shorter, and more radio friendly? Have I just drank too much caffeine? From the moment the song started playing in the video, the song sounded a bit faster than normal. Did anyone else notice this? If this is true - it really, really sucks.

-Miggy

Miggy D said:
Ok - just watched the video.

Is it just me or does the song sound 'sped up.' Did they do this to make it shorter, and more radio friendly? Have I just drank too much caffeine? From the moment the song started playing in the video, the song sounded a bit faster than normal. Did anyone else notice this? If this is true - it really, really sucks.

-Miggy

It is true that the single version is slightly sped up (I don't know the exact comparison of beats per minute). I barely notice it, and when I do, I find it feels more like the live versions - which are sen-bloody-sational, to put it lightly.

I dont think so Miggy. Im pretty sure it's the same length as the single (radio edit) that was released yesterday. And that's just a little shorter, right at the end of the song. The 'ding-ding' bit....

Aardvark747 said:

I agree with you totally Axver. The last truly 'great' vid they did, for me, was Stay...(tho I loved Lemon too!)
This tho - is just something else. I love it.

For me, there are some videos that I think are really great for all kinds of reasons - perfectly relevant (Sweetest Thing), great location (Streets), hilarious footage (Gloria), et cetera - but this? This one touches me like no video has ever done. It's the notes at the start. I could have written that to my father.

I love this video. I watched it several times last night. It's incredibly emotional, and moving. And it's beautifully shot. I love the contrast of the black and white footage with the color scenes of the band in the Gaiety Theatre. And Bono's handwritten words about his father made me cry. "I wish I had known him better." For personal reasons, this line really resonates with me. :sad:

By the way - I also agree with the majority of posters - this is one of U2's better videos. My favorites out there are 'Please', 'One', 'Beautiful Day', and...yeah I think that might be it. Most of the 80s videos are rubbish, in my opinion. I just like the 'attitude' of the 90s/00s videos so much better. Most of the ATYCLB videos were not very good, however. Oh yeah - 'Stay' is a really great video. I don't know how I feel about Bono ripping himself off when he mimics the 'One' video's 'don't sing some of the lyrics while they are being sung' thing in the SYCMIOYO video. Meh.

Edit: "The Sweetest Thing" also really, really rocks. U2 with a sense of humor! I loved it.

I wish both Elevation videos were never, ever made. I wish the 'Walk On at a football game' video was shot in the face in the middle of an empty street. It's that bad.

Last edited:
Miggy D said:
I don't know how I feel about Bono ripping himself off when he mimics the 'One' video's 'don't sing some of the lyrics while they are being sung' thing in the SYCMIOYO video. Meh.

jeeez...I love that bit!:drool:
It's been long enough now for him to be able to do it again imo!:wink:

Miggy D said:

I wish both Elevation videos were never, ever made. I wish the 'Walk On at a football game' video was shot in the face in the middle of an empty street. It's that bad.

I thought there was only one Elevation video?

I loved Beautiful day and the first Stuck (the "bono in a van" one), Elevation was okay - a movie soundtrack video - I thought Walk on in Rio was a bit boring. I prefer the US version, even though I only saw brief snippets from that one.

Yeah - don't forget the horrible, embarassing 'Elevation Tomb Raider Mix' video...showcasing Edge's blue screen adventures with Miss Angelina Jolie. Come on guys - you made the friggin' JOSHUA TREE. Please never do that again.

Miggy D said:
Yeah - don't forget the horrible, embarassing 'Elevation Tomb Raider Mix' video...showcasing Edge's blue screen adventures with Miss Angelina Jolie. Come on guys - you made the friggin' JOSHUA TREE. Please never do that again.

:mad:
Awful vid!!!!!!!:madspit:

Aardvark747 said:

:mad:
Awful vid!!!!!!!:madspit:

Understatement of the year award goes to Mr. Aardvark747!

It is seriously the worst video U2 has ever made. It even trumps the really amateurish ones they made in the early 1980s. Those might have been technically poor, but at least they had dignity. This video had no dignity, and it just...well let's just say that it 'undid' a fair portion of U2's reputation in roughly 4 minutes. An impressive feat. I remember the first time I saw it. There was The Edge, our man, running and jumping along to Tomb Raider footage...I mean...yeah, there are no words. I just sat there, in stupefied awe, wondering what the hell was going on. Before I knew it, the video was over, my pants were gone, and I had bruises all over my legs.

-Miggy D

Last edited:
The video is such a "feel good" video for long time fans like you and me who understand what Bono went through with his father and the origins of the song and the band.

But will that video win new fans for U2?

Will it catch the attention of the teenage crowd who compose most of the pop music consumers?

Will that video help bring the song up the charts, both in singles and video categories?

You got Bono walking with the hood, Bono in the room, and the band in the opera. Three entire scenes.

I don't think this video will cut it with the MTV TRL crowd.

But it sure is a "feel good" video for longtime fans like me and makes the four plus minutes of my time worthwhile.

Cheers,

J

Jick - some good points. I don't know if I would categorize the video as necessarily 'feel good.' It's a fairly sad video, and towards the end Bono looks as though he is going to start crying. The song itself isn't really a happy song. Sure, Bono's dad is the reason he sings, but his dad is gone, and Bono says, matter-of-factly, that he 'can't make it on his own' now that his father has passed. Not my definition of feel good.

Good video, though!

I've only seen stills, but hooded Bono gives me the creeps :yikes: Bono in a hood reminds me of Emperor Palpatine and the unibomber. :lol:

jick said:
The video is such a "feel good" video for long time fans like you and me who understand what Bono went through with his father and the origins of the song and the band.

Will it catch the attention of the teenage crowd who compose most of the pop music consumers?

Will that video help bring the song up the charts, both in singles and video categories?

You got Bono walking with the hood, Bono in the room, and the band in the opera. Three entire scenes.

I don't think this video will cut it with the MTV TRL crowd.

But it sure is a "feel good" video for longtime fans like me and makes the four plus minutes of my time worthwhile.

Cheers,

J

Who gives a shit if it doesn't 'cut it' with the MTV TRL crowd? If they don't appreciate it, they can go fuck their ignorant, mentally deficient selves.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Who cares?! Let them continue to buy the shite they like, and leave the 'real music' to the rest of us.
It's not like u2 are gonna miss a few hundred teenagers pocket money.

Miggy D said:

Yes, much worse than the "hey let's do nothing but sit in a diner" aka If god will send his angels or "let's do something no one will ever get. but it's cool, it's art." aka Last night on earth.

U2 only made embarassing videos up to Joshua Tree time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom