Mercy is NOT unfinished?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finished or unfinished dont mean shit to me.. Its a nice song.

Yimou, I guess you and I are on the same page when it comes to U2! Very true...Finished or not, it's still one of their best songs in a very long time! And I know you are the ZOO TV man, so I like you even more. :wink:

I have to admit that most of times I agree with Jick's opinion. His points of view are identical to my ones, and I think that he has very strong and objective comments.

However, I think (and Jick is not the only one here, there are few more other members here) that some members of Interference are always putting the other fans down and putting irrelevance in other member's opinion. It feels that they are "masters" of this forum and the others are submissive to them and their opinion is not taken seriuoly, and they're jocked. This thing's got to stop. Stop treating us like we're less fans of U2 than you or that your knowledge about the musical industry is superior that ours, ok? As fans of a band that like to promote peace, it is not supposed to get in these little wars, don't you think? Just learn to accept the others' opinion

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Aygo said:

However, I think (and Jick is not the only one here, there are few more other members here) that some members of Interference are always putting the other fans down and putting irrelevance in other member's opinion. It feels that they are "masters" of this forum and the others are submissive to them and their opinion is not taken seriuoly, and they're jocked. This thing's got to stop. Stop treating us like we're less fans of U2 than you or that your knowledge about the musical industry is superior that ours, ok? As fans of a band that like to promote peace, it is not supposed to get in these little wars, don't you think? Just learn to accept the others' opinion

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I have been thinking the exact same thing, and i especially have one member in mind,, Anyway, good point :up:

Guys, I was not reffering to a especific member. I ain't nobody to take the others as bad persons or something like that. I just, took Jick's example (not with the intention of offending you, eh Jick...) to show as some members are bad treated here.

It was not my intention too, to turn this post into kind of a bash to Interference members.
But what I said in my previous post was just to show that these kind of situation really make me sad... And I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one thinking this way (Thank you guys...!).
I do not post in this forum frequently as you can see, but I like to express myself when I feel that I have to (this is a forum, or it isn't?).

And the most ridiculous thing is that most of the times, some moderators seem to agree with that "masters" (sorry, I didn't get another expression, I'm not inspired today), and they let these people put the other fans down. Why?
Moderators, please pay attention to this. It isn't really hard.

Thanks for reading this (too extended, ok) commentary. I hope you understand us...

Aygo said:

And the most ridiculous thing is that most of the times, some moderators seem to agree with that "masters" (sorry, I didn't get another expression, I'm not inspired today), and they let these people put the other fans down. Why?

I fully agree..

I do agree too. Everyone has the right to express their opinion without fearing to be put down by the so-called experts on this board. This "you are a 90's worshipper because you luv AB the most" comment is really starting to get on my nerve particularly.

jick said:

Didn't I just say the music and chord pattern was reminiscent of the song by A Flock Of Seagulls? I did analyze the music too.

I see more fallacy in your reasoning when you conclude that the song "clearly wasn't worked on as hard" (this is without proof or basis). Mine is an analysis, yours is a conclusion of fact.

And the "undeniable massive potential" of the song has nothing to do with the main point of this thread which is whether or not the song is unfinished. But it does seem from your tone that you are in agreement that the song in unfinished but you just want to skirt the issue so that you will not agree with those here (myself included) who contend so.

Cheers,

J

I insist that it clearly wasn't worked on as much as the other songs because:

a) shitty sound quality
b) it doesn't have an ending
c) it doesn't have an intro

So, jick you're contending the fact that U2 work more on an album song than a B-Side/Rare track? You have a hard case there.

The fact that the music is reminiscent to whatever the hell Flock of Seagulls wrote does not prove anything. The riff for "Vertigo" is reminiscent to "Get Free" 's chorus by a shitty band whose name I can't quite recall at this moment.

The reason I even mentioned "massive potential" is because I see that it wasn't worked on as much as the album songs and yet it still rocks the hell out of 4 or 5 of them. Regardless, I am still quite content with the songs current state.

the one stanza that is brilliant is

"I was ripping the stitches
I've got two hands to rub
I'm diggin the ditches
of someone else's luck"

Jick is right in that the song is unfinished, but I have no doubt that it is mercy. Just look at the U2 book....mercy is all over the place.

I agree with the people who posted that Mercy rambles and the lyrics aren't stellar, even taken as a whole. Bad also "appears" to "ramble" but actually comes off more cogent because the images/ lyrics (whether by accident or on purpose) make a cohesive picture/ theme.

I also agree with jick... also someone thought "Mercy" was innovative while post-Pop era songs were less so. LOL. Oooookay.

MrBrau1 is also correct. jick is a robot.

One Step Closer isn't GREAT but I believe its more acceptable if you consider it the way Lillywhite considers it which is more of a instrumental type song or a transition song.

Last edited:
Has there ever been an unreleased song in U2's catalog which has generated this much interest even when we're not completely sure if this is Mercy or not? I personally love the rawness of it and wouldn't be shocked if a re-worked version
shows up on album, but didn't Bono say at one point that this was the best b-side ever. And we still don't have an official word if this truly is Mercy, my guess is what we have is an early version and if there is a final copy, it's probably amazing!!

I find the lyrics very nice, well constructed and consistent. Just because it uses simple vocabulary and simple scheme of rhyme does it have to "look like a 9th grade poem"?
In fact, me and other fans have already thought in "Mercy" (if this is really Mercy loool) in another God-about song. There are too many biblical and religious references.So it could be like many other U2 lyrics as a religious song can be read as a love song. I think this is the case. But as Bono say, every song has free interpretation, and that's not an important thing...

I agree when fans here say that the song sounds unfinished, mainly beacuse of its structure. If you pay attention to the structure it not very normal as a usual U2 song, and the last stanzas seem to be floating in the poem and not having a real connection (although the poem makes sense in its whole).
I think that the song was already pre-concepted, it has an intro (guitar-synthetized) Miracle Drug-like (with identical chords and notes in the beggining - I have already played both songs and I got this) and the last stanza is perfect as the outro part of the lyrics.
What I guess is that in the 2nd half of the song the structure doesn't seem defined.

If it was rearranged and well produced it would be with no doubt one of U2's best songs ever. It has got potential.
What we don't really know is what took the band to put it out of the final tracklist or not to give it a better production work.

zoocarolina said:
Has there ever been an unreleased song in U2's catalog which has generated this much interest even when we're not completely sure if this is Mercy or not?
There's no doubt that this is "Mercy." The lyrics are in the deluxe edition of Bomb, right under the words "Mercy" (twice, even).

One thing that no one is mentioning is that J claimed some of the lyrics in Mercy were influenced by Bon Jovi. If Interference had a town square, J should be taken out into the middle of it and shot for this most high treason against the band.

NOTHING U2 has ever done, or will ever do could be influenced by that cheese metal generic band. It's bad enough to call yourself a fan of their white bread high school music, but to claim U2 would be inspired by any of their embarassing excuses for music is shameful and without any basis in fact. Because U2 supposedly once saw a Bon Jovi show when the two bands were in the same town, J thinks they're buddies, which is total bullshit. They probably felt sorry for them and put in an appearance so as not to appear rude.

You want to know what band U2 respects and enjoys? That would be Radiohead. I remember Bono's comments about the show played in England under the tent a few years ago. He was using some pretty complimentary language, the likes of which he has NEVER used to describe Bon Jovi (if he's ever bothered to comment on that shit at all).

If you're going to analyze U2's music, fine. But leave the poisoned speculation out of it because some of us think a lot higher of the band than you do, and certainly don't care to read about pseudo-connections between them and bands that don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

laz

lazarus said:
Because U2 supposedly once saw a Bon Jovi show when the two bands were in the same town, J thinks they're buddies, which is total bullshit. They probably felt sorry for them and put in an appearance so as not to appear rude.

:lmao:

jick said:

Xanax and Wine would sound just like any other U2 song. When they turned it to Fast Cars it became bold and insightful with the Middle Eastern flavor on it - which goes well with the lyrics "in the desert to dismantle and atomic bomb." U2 have always tried to make their music fit the context of the lyrics. Xanax and Wine failed, Fast Cars clicked.

Cheers,

J

When they play Fast cars during the tour, will they play it in the style of the album version, or xanax and wine.

lazarus said:
One thing that no one is mentioning is that J claimed some of the lyrics in Mercy were influenced by Bon Jovi. If Interference had a town square, J should be taken out into the middle of it and shot for this most high treason against the band.

NOTHING U2 has ever done, or will ever do could be influenced by that cheese metal generic band. It's bad enough to call yourself a fan of their white bread high school music, but to claim U2 would be inspired by any of their embarassing excuses for music is shameful and without any basis in fact. Because U2 supposedly once saw a Bon Jovi show when the two bands were in the same town, J thinks they're buddies, which is total bullshit. They probably felt sorry for them and put in an appearance so as not to appear rude.

I'm glad someone took note of this.

I have my own animosity towards Bon Jovi since they have taken a liking to mimicking the real hero of Jersey, Bruce Springsteen. It's almost like they needed to salvage their career when the heavy metal hair band era of the late 80's ran its course, and copying Bruce was what they came up with. Truly sad.

phanan said:

I'm glad someone took note of this.

I have my own animosity towards Bon Jovi since they have taken a liking to mimicking the real hero of Jersey, Bruce Springsteen. It's almost like they needed to salvage their career when the heavy metal hair band era of the late 80's ran its course, and copying Bruce was what they came up with. Truly sad.

I dunno if they strictly 'copied' Bruce. But I was watching a show the other day, 'The top 50 Influential Men in Music' - and Jon Bon certainly kissed The Boss' ass to a great extent. Saying that there wouldn't of made music without his influence.
I cant think what no. Bruce was in at now.....Possibly just outside the top 10. (Bono was no.6 btw):wink:

Aygo said:
Guys, I was not reffering to a especific member. I ain't nobody to take the others as bad persons or something like that. I just, took Jick's example (not with the intention of offending you, eh Jick...) to show as some members are bad treated here.

It was not my intention too, to turn this post into kind of a bash to Interference members.
But what I said in my previous post was just to show that these kind of situation really make me sad... And I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one thinking this way (Thank you guys...!).
I do not post in this forum frequently as you can see, but I like to express myself when I feel that I have to (this is a forum, or it isn't?).

Thanks for reading this (too extended, ok) commentary. I hope you understand us...

:up:

I could think of a few "masters" as you call them, too.

Back
Top Bottom