melon/Whortense: the new zoomerang96/deathbear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
As my final tribute to deathbear/zoomerang96, I post tis thread as a question, a suspicion, as to whether events have taken place over the last 13 months for a passing of the torch between two originally unlikely parties: the entity originally known as "zoomerang96" and the one originally known as "melon."

Veterans will recall that zoomerang96 was originally a rather serious-minded member of www.interference.com who frequented Free Your Mind and posted/took part in the most merited of political and religious threads, one of which attracted the membership of melon via disagreement, who has come to be one of the most respected debaters the Left has to offer in Free Your Mind. Since that time, "zoomerang96" has fallen into a lousy state of ego-ridden multiple personalities posting weird, uneventful and humorless posts in an attempt to gain popularity. Gone are the savvy debate skills, replaced with nothing more than a meaningless collection of threats and radiohead lyrical excerpts.

It seems of late that melon has taken on similar personalities via his own multiple handles; we have "Ass Hare," which was begun during an alleged melon absence that never occurred, and we have "Whortense," "Malibu Whortense," a satire of cheap Hollywood fashion I suppose, and "Ormus" who is indeed a skilled theology debater based on a Zoroastrain prophet.

We still have the traditional "melon" posts of the utmost seriousness, and it is not to say that the new handles do not offer certain subliminal critiques of today's society. But some of the Whortense posts are as odd as those of "Supreme Cutlas," and seem all-the-more unlikely coming from melon. Some research into the matter revealed that the name "whortense" came from the imagination of "deathbear" when he was only 5 years old (I think he is only 7 now) and shared with melon. I think that explains much of the similarity between the 2 entities; perhaps they entered a mutual, private agreement that when deathbear leaves for Europe or wherever, melon, via "whortense," would carry the torch of silliness. I think that plan will work, only I hope that the debate-mode "melon" will remian.

Another possibility which crossed my mind a few weeks ago was that diamondbruno8/"Diamond the U2 Parrot would pick up the tradition as he has the silliness, the indecipherable lingo, and the over-delusional ego characteristic of deathbear. But something didn't seem right. The delivery wasn't there. Instead, it came in the form I would have least expected it, the genius of the ever-serious melon.

It will be an interesting 6 months of an open-ended airplane ticket to Europe, to say the least.

~U2Alabama

You know what I think? You put waaaaaaay too much thought into that.

True, skeek, but not intentionally; the thought has been evolving as I have visited this place over the last few weeks. I felt the need to go ahead and express it.

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 10-28-2001).]

interesting points. i should make it clear that my ticket is open-ended for 6 months, thoughy i doubt ill be there that long. in fact, i really want to be home for christmas. so, it is only fair for you to know.

i leave tommorow morning. im excited/nervous as this will be interesting.

------------------
-death bear

You forgot Bathtime Fun Whortense.

I tend to agree with Bama's theory. Just as rougerum was the inspiration for deathbear's persona, deathbear was an inspiration for Whortense. I believe that the multiple Whortense's are the only ones capable of inheriting the throne of inspired chaos that deathbear leaves behind. Of course I would much rather have both deathbear and Whortense but that is not possible. Bama, I don't think you have to worry about "debate-mode melon" disapearing into Whortense, although, I think that melon will continue to focus more on religious debates and less on the current political situation. Whortense and melon represent two seemingly opposite sides of melon's personality. He is just as much Whortense as he is melon he just didn't have an outlet to express Whortense until recently. This is all just my opinion. Melon, I hope I got it right.

I know some of you will think that I am silly for taking this matter so seriously, but I don't care. The deathbears and whortense's of the forum perform a valuable role here at interference. They keep things surprising and interesting and they make us laugh. You would be dead bored without them whether you like them or not.

Deathbear, come home for Christmas!

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

To be quite honest, it's too much effort to think who is who and what is what and why someone is also someone else and on what day.

I prefer to take the Larry stance on this... I prefer clarity... straight lines. Make it easy for us!

LMAO @ Bama's conspiracy! and i suppose Oswald wasn't the gunman :roll eyes:
wink.gif

Let me emphasize that in NO WAY do I believe that zoomerang96, et al. = melon, et al. I know from the IP identifiers in chat that melon is a student at Michigan State University and that deathbear is in a Canadian province.

But yes I did forget the "Bathtime" whortense, Calluna, and I wish that you had not reminded me of him/it as it is a disturbing thought. And you also reminded me of one evening when I came home and found a very un-melonlike thread posted by melon stating that he had been in chat and appeared to be drunk or something. That point is when it all began, and the cards began to fall as they have.

I take no interest in whether or not deathbear is in North America for Christmas though.

TripThruUreWires, it is far more complex than the conspiracy theories surrounding JFK, Lee Harvey Oswald, the Cuban Missile Crisis, etc. You will see.

~U2Alabama

It has become apparent to myself, the numeral 7, that some people have a hell of a lot of time on their hands.
biggrin.gif

P.S. Oswald wasn't the lone gunman...

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 10-28-2001).]

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Veterans will recall that zoomerang96 was originally a rather serious-minded member of www.interference.com who frequented Free Your Mind and posted/took part in the most merited of political and religious threads, one of which attracted the membership of melon via disagreement, who has come to be one of the most respected debaters the Left has to offer in Free Your Mind.

Yes, and I'm still fighting that same contentious "disagreement" today. It always has a way of creeping back, especially when you get a whole new generation of newbies who weren't around the last two times I fought it!

Since that time, "zoomerang96" has fallen into a lousy state of ego-ridden multiple personalities posting weird, uneventful and humorless posts in an attempt to gain popularity. Gone are the savvy debate skills, replaced with nothing more than a meaningless collection of threats and radiohead lyrical excerpts.

Bear here has always struck me as a very smart guy, who chooses to vent his creativity in unconventional manners, much the same as I categorize rougerum, albeit his intelligence is often easier to spot (i.e., film discussions). While both of their posts were often superficially stupid, they often carried a more latent genius to them, one that I eventually found myself admiring myself. So, perhaps in the example of the irony of Zoo TV, where intellect and social commentary was buried under a pile of irony, I decided to follow suit with Whortense, a name once posted by Bear.

It seems of late that melon has taken on similar personalities via his own multiple handles; we have "Ass Hare," which was begun during an alleged melon absence that never occurred, and we have "Whortense," "Malibu Whortense," a satire of cheap Hollywood fashion I suppose, and "Ormus" who is indeed a skilled theology debater based on a Zoroastrain prophet.

Ass Hare originated as an all out parody of Slow Loris, whom I found to be hilarious just by his unrealistic innocence and happiness about him. So I made the antithesis of Slow Loris, Ass Hare, a very unlovable animal with a very unlovable name. Ass Hare, eventually got banned (still don't know why), but I was lucky enough to be able to resurrect him, now as another Whortense-like parody.

Ormus was accidentally revealed. I wanted him to be my secret name, as I found that some of the more serious posts I used under Melon, there was already an inherent attitude associated with that name; hence, people would judge the post on the basis of who wrote it. Ormus was simply created to be my escape from Melon; to be, perhaps, a "regular Interferencer." Unfortunately, I got a bit sloppy, and accidentally got Melon and Ormus messed up. If I could have kept him a secret, I still would have, but I guess the moral is that you cannot escape yourself and expect to keep it a secret forever.

And there was one moniker I once posted under that has since been banned, Satan. Yes, that name did rile people up, and, by the end, I regretted ever having registered that name, who was supposed to be a parody of the "God" troll. By the end, Satan was simply a device to help me perfect "true evil" for my writing. I wanted to create a personification of evil that was beyond the stereotypical horns and pitchfork, and create an avatar of true evil, who, in his deceptive blending of what is good and what is evil, I ended up succeeding in creating what I would categorize as "pure evil" for my writing--and that ended up banning Satan for good. I do apologize for whomever was offended by that moniker; and, as I've already stated, I already regret ever having registered him. We all learn from our mistakes, and there won't be any resurgences of evil monikers coming from me.

We still have the traditional "melon" posts of the utmost seriousness, and it is not to say that the new handles do not offer certain subliminal critiques of today's society. But some of the Whortense posts are as odd as those of "Supreme Cutlas," and seem all-the-more unlikely coming from melon. Some research into the matter revealed that the name "whortense" came from the imagination of "deathbear" when he was only 5 years old (I think he is only 7 now) and shared with melon. I think that explains much of the similarity between the 2 entities; perhaps they entered a mutual, private agreement that when deathbear leaves for Europe or wherever, melon, via "whortense," would carry the torch of silliness. I think that plan will work, only I hope that the debate-mode "melon" will remian.

Melon will always be here. I cannot ignore the side of me that enjoys a very caustic debate, and he will always be there to do that. As for the origins of Whortense, I never conversed with the bear on that. I simply borrowed the name on my own. His foray into Europe was also unknown to me at the time.

Another possibility which crossed my mind a few weeks ago was that diamondbruno8/"Diamond the U2 Parrot would pick up the tradition as he has the silliness, the indecipherable lingo, and the over-delusional ego characteristic of deathbear. But something didn't seem right. The delivery wasn't there. Instead, it came in the form I would have least expected it, the genius of the ever-serious melon.

Don't accept cheap imitations.
wink.gif

It will be an interesting 6 months of an open-ended airplane ticket to Europe, to say the least.

Yes, indeed. And, to be honest, this has to be the silliest and most self-indulgent serious discussion I've ever had on this forum.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Ormus = melon??

Damn, where the hell have I been?? *lol*

melon!!!!! Damn you! *lol*
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Ormus = melon??

Damn, where the hell have I been?? *lol*

melon!!!!! Damn you! *lol*
biggrin.gif

I didn't get that either! Then again, I'm not very perceptive
confused.gif

------------------
The soul needs beauty for a soulmate

Ass Hare:

Thank you for the point-by-point response.

I must admit that the one part of the code which I failed to crack until I read your response here is the identity of Satan. I thought that it was dethveggy, to be honest. And I recall the thread from which Satan was banned, and I was very disappointed in the banning. I had taken part in that debate against Satan and found it to be very interesting. I found myself in the same role as Johnny in Charlie Daniels' "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," taking the Devil up on his bet because Johnny was confident of himself as the "best (fiddle player) that's ever been."

But congratulations for sneaking that Satan one past me. I had no clue.

~U2Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom