McGuinness Announces Entire Catalog to be Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
A by product will be a little more volume, but it is certainly not the reason they'd do it, nor the reason you'd buy it. It is entirely about clarity. About using space. You know how sometimes you listen to a song on a stereo, then on headphones, and suddenly you hear a guitar part or something you couldn't hear before on the open stereo? Think about it that way - U2 are going to unlock all those parts. Anything muddy or crunchy - gone. Anything delicate that is over-run by something bombastic - crystal clear now. If it was just volume do you think people would be at all excited? Of course not. People have been screaming for remastering for ages, with good reason. If it is done well, it will be like taking something 2D and turning it 3D.

Your favourite U2 song is just about to be way better.

:drool: :drool: :drool: Achtung Baby may become sonically bearable then.

Neat, it would be awesome if there was a pro shot concert to accompany each respective album from that album's tour.

Earnie Shavers said:
A by product will be a little more volume, but it is certainly not the reason they'd do it, nor the reason you'd buy it. It is entirely about clarity. About using space. You know how sometimes you listen to a song on a stereo, then on headphones, and suddenly you hear a guitar part or something you couldn't hear before on the open stereo? Think about it that way - U2 are going to unlock all those parts. Anything muddy or crunchy - gone. Anything delicate that is over-run by something bombastic - crystal clear now. If it was just volume do you think people would be at all excited? Of course not. People have been screaming for remastering for ages, with good reason. If it is done well, it will be like taking something 2D and turning it 3D.

Your favourite U2 song is just about to be way better.

but if it's already my favorite u2 song, why do i need it to be better? :scratch:

i understand what you're saying... i just still don't see the need to spend another 20 bucks to hear the missing cowbell that i've been yearning for all these years. :shrug:

the concert is much more enticing to me than the remastering

Zootlesque said:

:| Achtung Baby is perfect as it is, thankyouverymuch! :rant:

:drool: I like not being able to pick out the bass and background vocals too. :cute:

It's just fun to watch people's reactions when you slaughter the sacred cow right in front of them. :happy:

heterosexualman:hug: to you too, Zoots.

Zootlesque said:
HUTDMDAAAB could do with some remastering too. Decrease the deafening volume! :happy: :wink:

B-but I love that high-pitched, eardrum-shattering squeal at the beginning of ABOY. :sad:

cowbell_skit.jpg

babies, really... explore the space

gareth brown said:
i'm a bit worried about the whole remastering aspect if they go and normalise/"maximise" everything like what is done to the majority of music these days in this bloody "loudness war", sure they'll have remastered it or whatever but if they just go and make it as loud as they can then what's the point if it's just going to clip and distort? Or am I getting paranoid? :wink:

That is also my number one concern... not that recording is CLEARER, only that it seems LOUDER. The beginning of Exit is supposed to be hard to hear, and it creeps in over the crickets... I want that preserved. It might not be appreciable in a car, but at home with a good stereo system and otherwise, silence, and that should be magic.

Rolling Stone's review of the re-release (in the same issue as Paul M's comment about remastering the catalog) says, "U2 may have made better albums, more exciting albums, and more emotional albums, but they never made a more universally beloved one. There's a lot more Bono than Edge, not to mention a lot more L.A. than Dublin." I think the reviewer is wrong on all 3 counts... this is U2 at their best, their most exciting, and most emotional. I don't see what else he had in mind.

Exciting: Achtung Baby?
Emotional: War?
Better: {i got nothin')

The slow build of Streets is one of the most exciting things in any album anywhere... period. And, notably, it's ALL Edge on that. "More Bono" indeed...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
just for sheer curiousty's sake i'm gonna have to go download streets tomorrow and compare it to the streets from the complete u2 and see if i can notice a difference.

Mmm... lossy to lossy. That will be like comparing a McDonald's strawberry shake to a Burger King strawberry shake to see which one tastes closest to homemade! :sad:

david said:
Neat, it would be awesome if there was a pro shot concert to accompany each respective album from that album's tour.

:yes:

AB will probably have something off Zoo TV so I'd be interested in that.
Otherwise I won't be buying the remasters (unless they decide to throw in DVD of Lovetown with Rattle and Hum and Red Rocks with War).

Will these be annual releases, you think ?

:macdevil: Oh the band's cut of Pop...

Last edited:
edurban said:
Looks like we are all fanatics here....
and I would give them blood if they asked... if they give me a box set in exchange all the better :wink:

may have to sell a kidney to pay for it but god it would be worth it ......

im having an overload today . :drool:

personally they should just replace the old ones with the remastered discs with no bonuses or whatever

i mean most of us here have the technology to listen to thx quality sound, or are intending to get out of the stone age in terms of entertainment

eg why cant every cd sound like the dvds? check out zootv, rattle and hum, popmart - fantastic sound. does everyone agree?

its just kinda disappointing to not get hyped up by listening to a fizzing sounding unforgettable fire, war or boy album, especially after listening to something by Mates of state, or Underworld's Oblivion with Bells

Zootlesque said:

:| Achtung Baby is perfect as it is, thankyouverymuch! :rant:

no seriously, listen to a song like ultra violet and youre going to be disappointed because adam and larry are all turned down

i mean a lesser song like daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car just jumps at you, and its a 'lesser' song!

is that really all the remastering does though? make it so you don't have to turn the volume up?

spoken like someone who's been listening to the joshua tree on cassette and just recently switched over to a cd player

iTunes US has the two versions of Silver and Gold mislabelled. sigh...

And it seems the text description is for the Classic Albums DVD ABOUT the album. And this is the best online music store around, eh?

coolian2 said:
I'm all in favour of it.

I hope it costs an arm and a leg, because it's all i have left.

oh that was funny! hahaha :lmao:

CrashedCarDriver said:

spoken like someone who's been listening to the joshua tree on cassette and just recently switched over to a cd player

for fuck's sake not everyone needs to be an audiophile to appreciate great music. christ.

i downloaded one tree hill and compared... it certainly sounds better, but not enough better to get me to go out and spend a few hundred bucks replacing what i already have (once the other albums are all remastered, as well).

so sue me... a great song is a great song wether it's played by a symphony orchestra at carnegie hall or some guy playing a guitar at a subway station.

just because i choose to listen to the joshua tree with an iPod hooked into my car stereo instead of a CD that's just gonna scratch and skip anyways doesn't mean i don't appreciate the effing song any more or less.

for fuck's sake not everyone needs to be an audiophile to appreciate great music. christ.

i downloaded one tree hill and compared... it certainly sounds better, but not enough better to get me to go out and spend a few hundred bucks replacing what i already have (once the other albums are all remastered, as well).

so sue me... a great song is a great song wether it's played by a symphony orchestra at carnegie hall or some guy playing a guitar at a subway station.

just because i choose to listen to the joshua tree with an iPod hooked into my car stereo instead of a CD that's just gonna scratch and skip anyways doesn't mean i don't appreciate the effing song any more or less.

:love:

The thought have having each album in book format lined up on my bookshelf each with it's corresponding bonus disk of B-sides and outtakes and a previously unreleased concert from that specific album's tour???

:drool:

What shows would be picked? They didn't start filming all shows until 87, right? But prior *some* had to be filmed...

Boy - No idea
Oct - No idea
War - St. Goeshausen was pro shot
UF - No idea; but dying to see a show from this tour since there's so little I know about it. Few pictures, few quality boots, few official live recordings... near nada.
R&H - Gotta be Dublin on New Years or maybe Lovetown Sydney.
AB - Here's hoping for Detroit, I wanna see those Pizza's arrive! But I'd go for Minneaplis, just for the Wild Horses performance.
Zooropa - Dublin 93
Pop - Would have to be Sarajevo and I'd be hoping for the massacre that was Las Vegas.
Elevation - Iriving plaza was a nice tight set
Vertigo - One of the 3rd leg shows with Discotheque, Seattle maybe? Or maybe Hawaii from 5th?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom