LP13: (Non) Event Horizon: Choose Your Own Adventure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't see the whole "desparation" by both Apple and U2. When U2 bought a Super Bowl ad, we all thought it was brilliant marketing...which U2 dropped the ball on. This is their reset move. Tag along with the new iPhone which millions upon millions of people will buy. Again, I think it's great marketing. For Apple, do they need U2 to sell the new iPhone? Absolutely not. Will they reach out to a demographic who's eye sight is detiorating and has been considering buying a phone with a bigger screen aaannndd likes U2? Doesn't hurt to try.

In the end, both Apple and U2 will be fine, but they both gain a little from this move, not a lot.

tumblr_mgzx0ykc8a1s3hileo1_400.gif
:lol: Yes, I know.

While I eventually grew to accept the U2/BOA partnership, mostly due to the quality of the work and the amount of $$$ raised, the picture of them playing in front of a phone has me uneasy. It does feel different than the silhouette commercial for 2004 -- U2 + product rather than as for product featuring U2.

But we'll see how it turns out.

All that said, I love the idea of a U2 app where I can download whatever, maybe they will make the concert you just saw available, or stream U2 live from Nuuk or wherever else they play in 2015, or when they release the second album. What seems important is getting the music to the mobile divice, not just on one's hard drive. When a song is on my phone, I listen to it. And I find I play my phone over my Apple TV at home as well.

Sent from

:shrug: Still not quite sold on this. Why would a random tweet from some journalist suddenly count as evidence when the billboard stuff from ages ago was not?

Sure, it is all starting to seem more and more likely that something will happen in a week's time.... but I'd rather not get my hopes up again. They might just pull another superb owl. :rolleyes:

I guess I don't see the whole "desparation" by both Apple and U2. When U2 bought a Super Bowl ad, we all thought it was brilliant marketing...which U2 dropped the ball on. This is their reset move. Tag along with the new iPhone which millions upon millions of people will buy. Again, I think it's great marketing. For Apple, do they need U2 to sell the new iPhone? Absolutely not. Will they reach out to a demographic who's eye sight is detiorating and has been considering buying a phone with a bigger screen aaannndd likes U2? Doesn't hurt to try.

In the end, both Apple and U2 will be fine, but they both gain a little from this move, not a lot.

In the end, the product(s) will decide how this is perceived, for both companies.

If the album's a dud that feels forced and douchey, and the new iPhone is just the same old same old repackaged in a bigger frame, then they'll get slaughtered.

If the new album is brilliant and the new iPhone actually does something revolutionary again, it'll be an amazing coup.

If one or the other is great and the other is meh or worse, the meh part will just be a footnote.

I mean... It also matters how much they're actually involved in the whole thing.

In the end, the product(s) will decide how this is perceived, for both companies.

If the album's a dud that feels forced and douchey, and the new iPhone is just the same old same old repackaged in a bigger frame, then they'll get slaughtered.

If the new album is brilliant and the new iPhone actually does something revolutionary again, it'll be an amazing coup.

If one or the other is great and the other is meh or worse, the meh part will just be a footnote.

I mean... It also matters how much they're actually involved in the whole thing.

:up:

Also, in regards to the iPhone, I'm not as excited for the new phone (but will be glad that it's bigger) than I am iOS 8. The design of adding widgets to the notification panel and adding 3rd party keyboards like Swiftkey will pretty much bridge the gap of the things I miss from Android. Sounds like there's some "HomeKit" feature that they're unveiling as well. I haven't paid as much attention to this, but I read something about being able to control the lights in your house through your phone. No idea how that's possible. I'm guessing you have to buy extra equipment for something like that.

They tried to do it with Boots...

Yep. It just fell through at the end. I think the two parties were pretty far along, but they just couldn't connect on a final deal. Probably why we saw Boots in the NFL commercial, was sort of a band-aid.

I'll have to go find the piece whenever I get free time.

I am suddenly not feeling pessimistic anymore.

Although the idea of U2 being associated with Beats does disgust me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Sounds like there's some "HomeKit" feature that they're unveiling as well. I haven't paid as much attention to this, but I read something about being able to control the lights in your house through your phone. No idea how that's possible. I'm guessing you have to buy extra equipment for something like that.

Already available via 3rd party apps on both Android and iOS, specifically Phillips Hue.

Incredibly fun and impressive technology, not overly practical for the every day user just yet.

And yes, I have it :reject:

it might also be because you're in LA, which is a fairly company town -- Apple is the industry standard for tv/movies, which is what i do, and why i'm presently on a MacBookPro and have an iPhone and no plans to ever switch. (that said, we've switched from FCP to Avid).

but the entertainment industry isn't everything, and my friends who do high-level IT security in the government sector, for example (DC is also a company town), or people will lower incomes who can't afford a $300 phone plus data plan don't have iPhones, and there's a wealth of alternatives out there for them. it's not the aspirational object it was a few years ago.

my post is less to downgrade Apple and more to put it in it's proper context in 2014. the iPhone 6 will not be the iPhone 4.

Most of the people I know are not in the industry. I don't live in Hollywood. But LA in general is largely still a city where status symbols are prominent, and I'm saying the iPhone still carries more cache than any of its competitors.

And, you know, the government subculture also shouldn't be seen as a microcosm for society any more than the tech-geeks you mentions before. You're right that Droids are considered more secure and used more for that reason by gov people, but this has nothing to do with the general public.

I'm also not understanding how you are questioning the iPhone's current level of "cool" by pointing out that poor people can't afford it, and not to sound harsh, but they don't really dictate trends; the people with money do. They're going to affect overall sales but Apple has always been secure with targeting a smaller portion of the populace and remaining a "luxury" brand.

Having said all this, I don't think partnering with U2 again helps Apple, and I think this WILL make them look like a company aiming for older people. It's much more beneficial for U2. Now maybe they're going to pull the rabbit out of the hat and have another crossover success song like Vertigo but the clock is certainly ticking.

looking at that bridge shot of the boy with the beats here on my MacBookPro instead of on my iPhone, it looks like he's supposed to be some globalized anybody everyday millennial plugged in and turned on and with the whole world in his hand. so maybe it won't be as bad as i initially feared. also, he's pretty hot for a ginger, even so blurry.

I'm also not understanding how you are questioning the iPhone's current level of "cool" by pointing out that poor people can't afford it, and not to sound harsh, but they don't really dictate trends; the people with money do. They're going to affect overall sales but Apple has always been secure with targeting a smaller portion of the populace and remaining a "luxury" brand.

it's less about "poor" and more about "young" -- younger having less disposable income than older people.

agreed that this might help U2 more than Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom