LP13: (Non) Event Horizon: Choose Your Own Adventure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i do.

what is so unusual in a corporate approving the music associated to the promotion and advertising of their products?

shall i believe that they would blindly allow that the music would be something in the line of elvis ate america, crashed car, zoo station... or even bad or heartland... just because is u2?

What?! Wait, are you saying that you think Apple would tell U2 they couldn't put Zoo Station on their album if they had submitted AB as the accompanying album? Based on what?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

if true, the album is dead. or at least U2 thinks so.

and maybe rightly so. no one buys them anymore. they don't make money. so turning the album into an app (or something) is a way to get 11-12 songs into someone's daily rotation of music, with the hopes that the music is inspiring enough to get someone to purchase a concert ticket, or older albums.

so, if true, U2 is actually doing what everyone in here wants them to do: not worry about album sales. this reminds me of how Prince, i believe, gave away free albums with every concert ticket purchased on one of his latest tours.

kiss the future.

Exactly. :applaud:

That's completely ridiculous. Believe me, U2 is at a point where they don't "submit" their music for approval by anyone. They will still deliver the music they want.

I don't think U2 would water down the music to satisfy Apple, but at the same time I think Apple has a vested interest in hearing the music first, just in case there's a song on the album that has some sort of anti-corporate screed or even something specifically anti-Apple in the lyrics. Corporations care very much about this kind of stuff.

On the other hand, U2 actually used the line "force quit and move to trash" on their last album, so I don't think Apple has anything to worry about.

What?! Wait, are you saying that you think Apple would tell U2 they couldn't put Zoo Station on their album if they had submitted AB as the accompanying album? Based on what?

Ouch...my fellow Portuguese friend...I think you've offended BVS. Quick, backtrack and explain yourself in a concise, limpid and intelligent way :doh:

No offence BVS ! :wink:

As long as we hear new music !

Could you imagine, the album (in VINYL) distributed for 10$ a piece on the streets by the band itself and autographed ? :drool:

I think Radiohead did something similar with King Of Limbs didn't they...?

Haha, are you kidding? Radiohead isn't even signed to a label, let alone sponsoring corporations to sell their album.

yes i do.

what is so unusual in a corporate approving the music associated to the promotion and advertising of their products?

shall i believe that they would blindly allow that the music would be something in the line of elvis ate america, crashed car, zoo station... or even bad or heartland... just because is u2?

Ok, I will concede that the band might get Apple to give them their preference of a couple of songs that U2 is planning on releasing. But I guess I'm saying that it won't actually effect the music itself that U2 is making.
We would get the same song from them either way, just one might be better to go along with an ad campaign. (ala Vertigo)

I'm willing to wager if this single drops next week it will be the one they frantically scrambled to get out of Tedder.

Get out of Tedder? His reason for being there likely was just to lend an ear. I would be stunned if he were involved in the actual songwriting process, but I'm sure he had some input.

So based on everything we have so far they were filming in four locations the bridge, the lake, a studio in France, and some place called four courts in Dublin. So anything could be going on. If this apple thing do involve u2 I think it's going to be the album and single announcement and it will come preloaded with new iPhone release sometime in September. And also I think the new beats and apple deal might play a factor too because I think Jimmy Iovine has a position with apple and probably convinced the band to support a new service. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/2...lends-apple-a-skilled-ear.html?referrer=&_r=0

Haha, are you kidding? Radiohead isn't even signed to a label, let alone sponsoring corporations to sell their album.

I think he means what if U2 literally sold it in a physical format, autographed by hand, direct to fans on the street...

Then by that rational, I think the first Single will be pre-loaded or streamable for free on all iPhone 6, then contain a link to download the full album on iTunes at a discount price...that strategy makes more sense I think...

This is the only thing that makes sense, really. With or without the discount. A free single would be enough.

And if you consider the date when people would actually start getting the phones from the store/in the mail, it's has a shorter lead time which probably makes more sense these days.

and maybe rightly so. no one buys them anymore. they don't make money. so turning the album into an app (or something) is a way to get 11-12 songs into someone's daily rotation of music, with the hopes that the music is inspiring enough to get someone to purchase a concert ticket, or older albums.

so, if true, U2 is actually doing what everyone in here wants them to do: not worry about album sales. this reminds me of how Prince, i believe, gave away free albums with every concert ticket purchased on one of his latest tours.

Whether or not the album is "dead", this album is still going to be good for at least 1x platinum sales status in the U.S., plus whatever else overseas. That's a lot of money on the table, and U2 is not without a label. Interscope is going to want that revenue.

U2 has creative control (people questioning this are fools) but in the end they don't get to make a business decision based on how that album is sold, or for how much. What they do likely have leeway on is the single and I'm sure the record company wouldn't balk at giving that away for free with the right kind of exposure.

This is absolutely NOT true. If it's preloaded on iphones, it will not count at all towards album sales. albums need to be purchased either in a physical medium or a paid download to count. That's it.

If this were the case, they would break the record for 1st week sales by over 100%. They would chart with over 3 million sold in the first week!

Doesn't work that way.

Every free album givin will only take away from potential sales in my opinion unless they do it in a creative way that would still make people purchase it in some way.

Didn't it count when Madonna gave a free album out with every concert ticket? I thought I remembered hearing how she had the largest drop ever after the first week because of it.

I would bet a penny that Tedder was brought in to tweak a song that was in skeletal form and make it the commercial hit that the band wants (production, synths, possibly electronic drums of some sort)...most likely the first single.

time will tell.

kiss the future.

This times a million.

The idea of attaching themselves to a tech company or streaming music service, or other non traditional means, is not a bad one. It's the way of the future, and traditional album sales numbers are simply not as important as they have been in the past. There is a reason why U2 signed on with a touring company to manage them...

My only hesitance about this presumed move is that they've done it before, and that both companies(u2 and Apple) are in similar boats in regards to their positions in the world now vs 10 years ago, and another collaboration, if done poorly, could be seen as desperate.

kiss the future.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went down this route.

Didn't it count when Madonna gave a free album out with every concert ticket? I thought I remembered hearing how she had the largest drop ever after the first week because of it.

I think you're right, but in Madonna's case a physical CD was involved, the price of which was obviously rolled into the concert ticket.

In U2's case, if this rumor is true, there will be thousands of people who buy the iPhone 6 only because they're Apple fans. They care nothing about U2 and don't care if the album is pre-loaded on their phone or not. That would be a horribly shifty way to "earn" a chart-topping album.

Ouch...my fellow Portuguese friend...I think you've offended BVS. Quick, backtrack and explain yourself in a concise, limpid and intelligent way :doh:

No offence BVS ! :wink:

There's not an once of being offended in my post. I just find this fear to be silly and unfounded.

Let say there was a lead single attached to this yet to be seen relationship, would Apple want a say if this single had a curse word in it or it deemed offensive to women, or spoke of murdering Jimmy Fallon? Yes, but that's no different than radio stations, MTV, or any other vehicles of the past having a say of what they will play or not. Other than that Apple will have no other input into the album. Period. This fear is absolutely bizarre.

kiss the future.

Indeed.

"The record industry has just had its worst week in decades. For the first time since Nielsen SoundScan began keeping track in 1991, album sales failed to reach the four-million-sold mark this week, totaling just 3.97 million."

Read more:http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...our-million-units-sold-20140829#ixzz3CGfam6K2

Sent from my prototype iPhone 6 ™2014 Apple Inc.

I think you're right, but in Madonna's case a physical CD was involved, the price of which was obviously rolled into the concert ticket.

In U2's case, if this rumor is true, there will be thousands of people who buy the iPhone 6 only because they're Apple fans. They care nothing about U2 and don't care if the album is pre-loaded on their phone or not. That would be a horribly shifty way to "earn" a chart-topping album.

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/88904

It won't have any effect on the Charts unless the charts change their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom