Legends or not (yet) ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
In your mind, are they there yet with JT, AB and the groundbreaking Zoo TV ? Can they be ranked in music history along names like Beatles, Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd ?

the only name in that list they cannot be ranked along, is the beatles.

Yeah, they're in the annals of rock history with all of those artists now. And not just because of AB, JT, and Zoo TV, but because of War and the "amazing comeback" that was ATYCLB as well.

I would say yes. Maybe that's a biased opinon but they have definately been around as long or in some cases (the beatles) longer. I think they will be around for several more years and have the potential to continue doing well.

They already have more grammy's than any other artist non classical I think they are 4th of all time.

I have been a fan since all that you can't leave behind and have enjoyed discovering their older material because it is all well done.

yes, but maybe not with the Beatles yet. Maybe U2 are carrying out the unfinished "world peace" theme that the Beatles started.

I also have a question and I hope I am not hijacking this thread.
Can anybody direct me to a good U2 internet radio station that i can listen to while I am at the computer. Not the live concert one, it plays the same things over and over and over....
Thanks for your help!

U2girl said:
In your mind, are they there yet with JT, AB and the groundbreaking Zoo TV ? Can they be ranked in music history along names like Beatles, Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd ?

When it comes to popularity they are up there with the artists you mentioned but legends to me implies that you've made an unequaled artistic statement and that you'll be remember a hundred years from now like we remember Mozart and so on. Of the bands you've listed only Pink Floyd would qualify. U2 would not because they've never made a true artistic statement that spanned many records. I'm also not sure that they'll remember in a hundred years. :shrug:

LemonMelon said:
Yeah, they're in the annals of rock history with all of those artists now. And not just because of AB, JT, and Zoo TV, but because of War and the "amazing comeback" that was ATYCLB as well.

I wanted to focus on the two universally acclaimed masterpiece albums so I don't think War is quite up there. And there will probably never be a true consensus on the any of the last/latest three U2 albums here. ;)

Last edited:
t8thgr8 said:
whoa i would take that zep statement back, theyre not bigger than led zeppelin

Though it may seem biased coming from me, I'd have to agree with you. Zeppelin may not have been around as long, but has U2 ever sold 30 million copies of anything? I don't think so.

LemonMelon said:

Though it may seem biased coming from me, I'd have to agree with you. Zeppelin may not have been around as long, but has U2 ever sold 30 million copies of anything? I don't think so.

Thats right talk about album sales, its widely believed zep sold a shed load but in reality they may have sold maybe half of what is believed.

I think u2 are on par with zeppelin , stones and pink floyd. Smaller than the beatles but bigger than the who.

LemonMelon said:

agreed:up:

and bigger than Pink Floyd..??...GTFO:|

gman said:

Was it buy one get one free day wen he sold em? Its nowhere near that. try under half and u be closer

Indeed.

Was like around 55mill mid 90's, if that.

I know where the source was from about wako jacko............wickipedia. It states he sold 750 million albums..........ho hum......pull the other one.
Dont think he would ever be broke if he sold 750 million albums, do you?

FOR ME the only real peer U2 has is the Beatles. Those other bands are beneath them; great as they were.

"Most of heroes are alive, that's why they're my heroes." - Bono 1989

xaviMF22 said:

Jagged Little Pill sold 30 million? :shocked:

Automatic For The People sold 15 million? :huh: Dang, I figured it would be half that for both.

I like how Thriller sold 60 million more than any other record. That's a neat tidbit. :lmao: In the first "source" they give, it said he one a diamond award for selling 100 million of Thriller...a diamond award is 10 million. :| In the second, it clearly says on the plaque he was given that he made $125 million from Thriller, not that he sold 125 million. If each album costs $10 then...well, there you go. The third source was from a VH1 message board. :lol:

Last edited:
They're definitely one of the biggest rock bands ever, that's no doubt. I don't like how people compare all of the bands to each other, all of them are known for at least some defining quality.

U2 will be known for their longevity and lasting quality.

of course they are ledgends of rock , on par or bigger than all of those listed except the beatles, and elvis. because no one can beat them .
( cant stand the beatles personally)

Back
Top Bottom