Just for fun... my top 65

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacPhistoPT

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was bored and so...

1 Where the streets have no name
2 Bad
3 The fly
4 Until the end of the world
5 The Unforgettable Fire
6 Stay (faraway, so close!)
7 Even Better Than The Real Thing
8 Walk on
9 Kite
10 One Tree Hill
11 Out of control
12 Heartland
13 Gloria
14 Angel of Harlem
15 A Sort of Homecoming
16 Spanish Eyes
17 God Part II
18 The Wanderer
19 Love and Peace or Else
20 All I want is You
21 City of Blinding Lights
22 Hawkmoon 269
23 Dirty Day
24 Lady with the spinning head
25 Gone
26 Running to stand still
27 Mercy
28 Miracle Drug
29 North and south of the river
30 Please
31 Sunday Bloody Sunday
32 Ultraviolet
33 New York
34 In a Little While
35 The Electric Co.
36 Like a Song
37 Acrobat
38 Bullet the Blue Sky
39 Your Blue Room
40 The Playboy Mansion
41 Original of the Species
42 Last Night on Earth
43 Fast Cars
44 When I Look at the world
45 Elevation
46 New Year's Day
47 Zoo Station
48 Tomorrow
49 One
50 Beautiful Day
51 I will follow
52 The Three Sunrises
53 Crumbs from your table
54 Discothèque
55 Pride (In the name of love)
56 In God's Country
57 Mysterious Ways
58 Two Hearts Beat as One
59 Still Haven't Found what I'm Looking For
60 One Step Closer
61 Wake up dead man
62 Yahweh
63 Mofo
64 Tryin to throw your arms around the world
65 The sweetest Thing

:drunk:

I'm bored as well, so I'll bite. These are not in order.

Where The Streets Have No Name
Stay
Pride
Wire
Bad
In God's Country
With Or Without You
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Kite
Gone
Zooropa
Your Blue Room
Stateless
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Acrobat
Until The End of The World
So Cruel
Staring At The Sun
Out of Control
I Will Follow
Stories For Boys
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
October
Scarlet
Tomorrow
All I Want Is You
Angel of Harlem
Hawkmoon 269
Heartland
Lady With The Spinning Head
Spanish Eyes
Love Comes Tumbling
Two Hearts Beat As One
Miracle Drug
Babyface
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Do You Feel Loved
Crumbs From Your Table
Trip Through Your Wires
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Are You Gonna Wait Forever
A Celebration
Deep In The Heart
If God Will Send His Angels
Dirty Day
Smile
The Fly
In A Little While
A Sort of Homecoming
Original of The Species
Electrical Storm

Maybe i could do 20...

1. Ultraviolet
2. Bad
3. Please
4. With or Without You
5. Stay
6. One Tree Hill
7. Until the End of the World
8. The Electric Co
9. Where the Streets Have No Name
10. Walk On
11. Mofo
12. Acrobat
13. When I Look at the World
14. Love and Peace or Else
15. The Fly
16. Mothers of the Dissapeared
17. Silver and Gold
18. Gone
19. Miss Sarajevo
20. One

MacPhistoPT said:
I was bored and so...

1 Where the streets have no name
2 Bad
3 The fly
4 Until the end of the world
5 The Unforgettable Fire
6 Stay (faraway, so close!)
7 Even Better Than The Real Thing
8 Walk on
9 Kite
10 One Tree Hill
11 Out of control
12 Heartland
13 Gloria
14 Angel of Harlem
15 A Sort of Homecoming
16 Spanish Eyes
17 God Part II
18 The Wanderer
19 Love and Peace or Else
20 All I want is You
21 City of Blinding Lights
22 Hawkmoon 269
23 Dirty Day
24 Lady with the spinning head
25 Gone
26 Running to stand still
27 Mercy
28 Miracle Drug
29 North and south of the river
30 Please
31 Sunday Bloody Sunday
32 Ultraviolet
33 New York
34 In a Little While
35 The Electric Co.
36 Like a Song
37 Acrobat
38 Bullet the Blue Sky
39 Your Blue Room
40 The Playboy Mansion
41 Original of the Species
42 Last Night on Earth
43 Fast Cars
44 When I Look at the world
45 Elevation
46 New Year's Day
47 Zoo Station
48 Tomorrow
49 One
50 Beautiful Day
51 I will follow
52 The Three Sunrises
53 Crumbs from your table
54 Discothèque
55 Pride (In the name of love)
56 In God's Country
57 Mysterious Ways
58 Two Hearts Beat as One
59 Still Haven't Found what I'm Looking For
60 One Step Closer
61 Wake up dead man
62 Yahweh
63 Mofo
64 Tryin to throw your arms around the world
65 The sweetest Thing

:drunk:

and WHAT OTHER BAND could you list your favorite 65 songs?!

YOUR WITNESS!

(We'll use this thread as the Supreme Court since there was no justice at the state and local level - ie. the judge unjustly found me in contempt, put me in jail and locked everything down!)

Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

twochordcool said:

and WHAT OTHER BAND could you list your favorite 65 songs?!

YOUR WITNESS!

(We'll use this thread as the Supreme Court since there was no justice at the state and local level - ie. the judge unjustly found me in contempt, put me in jail and locked everything down!)

Ah, sweetie, I could name 65 faves of my favourite band. Hell I could name 150 favourites. Easily. And they all are damned good songs -- very damned good songs.

But I don't mind that you don't have my vastly superior taste. Not everyone can be as perfect as I am. ;)

(and I wouldn't taunt Sicy if I was you...but luckily I'm not you. :) )

Re: Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

indra said:
Ah, sweetie, I could name 65 faves of my favourite band. Hell I could name 150 favourites. Easily. And they all are damned good songs -- very damned good songs

Well, I'll be realistic and won't expect you to write out 150 songs - but go ahead and name that band.

indra said:
But I don't mind that you don't have my vastly superior taste. Not everyone can be as perfect as I am

:lol:

You haven't proved anything about your taste or mine until you can name that other band.

For example, I love The Smiths and New Order, but I don't think I could name my top 65 from them - because they don't exist - but I could for U2 if I wanted to consume that time doing that.

indra said:
(and I wouldn't taunt Sicy if I was you...but luckily I'm not you. :) )

I'm not taunting anyone. I'm "on topic".

:)

Last edited:
it's possible to have a top 65 of any long-standing artist I think

I probably could name 65 for U2 as well, but I'm too lazy :happy:

LemonMacPhisto said:
it's possible to have a top 65 of any long-standing artist I think

You're probably right.

But unlike U2, I don't think that song 65 of those artists would be anywhere near as strong as song number 1.

With U2, the songs are so consistently good that in the end it would all just be a matter of personal preference.

No particular order
1)Numb
2)Stay (faraway so close)
3)One
4)Hawkmoon 269
5)Heartland
6)Stories for Boys
7)Stuck in a Moment
8)Gone
9)Discoteque (how the heck do you spell that?)
10)Trying to Throw you arms around the world
11)Miss Sarajevo
12)Mysterious Ways
13)Beautiful Day
14)Walk On
15)Vertigo
16)Sometimes you Can't Make It on Your Own
17)City of Blinding Lights
18)With or Without You
19)Where the Streets Have No Name
20)Lemon
21)Love and Peace or Else
22)The First Time
23)The Unforgettable Fire
24)I Will Follow
25)40
26)Sunday Bloody Sunday
27)Seconds
28)New Years Day
29)Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
30)Bad
31)All I Want is You
32)All Because of You
Halfway there, this is hard not looking at the cds, but that would be cheating
33)An Cat Dubh
34)Gloria
35)Red Light
36)Love Is Blindness
37)Acrobat
38)Until the End of the World
39)Zoo Station
40)Zooropa
41)Babyface
42)Grace
43)Miami
44)New York
45)When I look at the world
46)Wild Honey
47)Sweetest Thing
48)Electrical Storm
49)Providence
50)Trip Through Your Wires
51)I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
52)Running To Stand Still
53)Red Hill Mining Town
54)Exit
55)Bullet The Blue Sky
I Promise I did not just look at the back of the Joshua Tree
56)October
57)Desire
58)Dirty Day
59)The Wanderer
60)MLK
61)Elvis and America
62)Pride (In the Name of Love)
63)Mofo
64)If God Will Send his Angels
65)Last Night on Earth

Wow that's sad, those last three took me like five minutes to think of an they're three of my favorite songs

well that was a fun way to waste 15 minutes, thank you all :wink:

Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

twochordcool said:

Not yet but if you keep it up you'll be washing your bare butt with a roomful of nasty old men.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

twochordcool said:

Well, I'll be realistic and won't expect you to write out 150 songs - but go ahead and name that band.

:lol:

You haven't proved anything about your taste or mine until you can name that other band.

For example, I love The Smiths and New Order, but I don't think I could name my top 65 from them - because they don't exist - but I could for U2 if I wanted to consume that time doing that.

I'm not taunting anyone. I'm "on topic".

See I don't need to prove anything to you. You haven't shown me that your taste is anything special -- you are fanatical about one band. And you like a few bands you grew up with -- but not their recent stuff (I read your profile :wink: ). Hell, I'm not even that fanatical about "my" band (and I manage to work them into damned near every thread :) ) I can name that other band, but it doesn't matter. My point is I love "my" band dearly, but there are a couple of their 19 or 20 full length albums I rarely listen to (although some of those albums are favourites of other fans) and they have a few songs that are positively :ohmy: :huh: :lmao: And I can say (and post) my comments and feelings about those songs and albums and it doesn't make me a lesser fan -- not in the fan community nor in the band's eyes.

But you know, if you love U2 and are willing to think all their songs are masterpieces, that's fine and dandy. It really is. It's even ok that you think the sun shines out their collective arses (as someone else so eloquently put it). What isn't ok is your bashing of people who's views differ from yours. Your opinion is just that -- your opinion -- and it's no more valid than anyone else's here.

If you were truly "on topic" you would have listed you top 65 U2 songs. :wink:

My avatar isn't me. I'm not a guy. And I don't have a beard.

what's the point in listing the 65 songs in no order?¿... that's the whole point of the thread...

:madwife:

1 - Where the Streets Have No Name
2 - City of Blinding Lights
3 - Kite
4 - Acrobat
5 - Until the End of the World
6 - Bad
7 - The Electric Co.
8 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
9 - The Ground Beneath Her Feet
10 - Running to Stand Still

That's a very quick and inaccuarate Top 10.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

indra said:
See I don't need to prove anything to you. You haven't shown me that your taste is anything special -- you are fanatical about one band. And you like a few bands you grew up with -- but not their recent stuff (I read your profile :wink: ). Hell, I'm not even that fanatical about "my" band (and I manage to work them into damned near every thread :) ) I can name that other band, but it doesn't matter. My point is I love "my" band dearly, but there are a couple of their 19 or 20 full length albums I rarely listen to (although some of those albums are favourites of other fans) and they have a few songs that are positively :ohmy: :huh: :lmao: And I can say (and post) my comments and feelings about those songs and albums and it doesn't make me a lesser fan -- not in the fan community nor in the band's eyes[

Well, I could see there being a lot of filler on 19 or 20 albums that were not U2 albums!

Rolling Stones?!

:rolleyes:

indra said:
But you know, if you love U2 and are willing to think all their songs are masterpieces, that's fine and dandy. It really is. It's even ok that you think the sun shines out their collective arses (as someone else so eloquently put it)

I don't think all of their songs are masterpieces - but I do think that the weaker ones are still strong enough to not warrant nit-picking - Most of my favorite U2 songs are NOT the obvious ones that have hit the radio.

indra said:
What isn't ok is your bashing of people who's views differ from yours. Your opinion is just that -- your opinion -- and it's no more valid than anyone else's here.

"If God Will Send His Angels" IS a GORGEOUS U2 song - and I BELIEVE that people that love U2 beyond the surface of the obvious (ie radio U2 songs) recognize this song for what it is - an exceptional U2 song. For every imbecile that thinks it is a horrible U2 song I believe there are 10 U2 fans that would put that song in their top 10 U2 songs of all time!

And correct me if I am wrong, but we are at a message board devoted to U2, right?!

indra said:
If you were truly "on topic" you would have listed you top 65 U2 songs. :wink:

blah blah blah!!!

I haven't got that kind of time - and besides, I find most of their songs so good that I could put 65 of their songs in a CD player and select "random play" and would be equally happy hearing any of them!

I could probably list 20 favorites, and the last 10 would kill me because I could just as easy choose another 10 that I would not want to leave out!

indra said:
My avatar isn't me. I'm not a guy. And I don't have a beard

My bad - he must be such a great musical artist that I failed to even know who he is!

Last edited:
twochordcool said:

With U2, the songs are so consistently good that...

That is YOUR opinion. Not everyone else's.

I mean.. U2 is my favorite band no doubt but I like the Beatles just as much or sometimes even more, depends on my mood. But I won't say as fact that U2 is the only band with the maximum number of good songs! :huh:

Zootlesque said:
I mean.. U2 is my favorite band no doubt but I like the Beatles just as much or sometimes even more, depends on my mood. But I won't say as fact that U2 is the only band with the maximum number of good songs! :huh:

What I personally love about U2, which is why I am defending them so strongly, IS the quality and consistency of all of their music.

MOST other artists you could probably go directly to their "Best Of" CD and not really worry about missing anything. I think it would be a big mistake to take that stance as far as U2 is concerned.

In fairness, I don't know enough about the Beatles to argue that they were not as consistent -

one thing is for certain, they were the first of the greatest, so...

Top 65 is too much :crack: I'll do a quick top 25! :wink:

One
Stay
Until The End Of The World
Where The Streets Have No Name
New Years Day
Gone
The Fly
With Or Without You
Lemon
Running To Stand Still
One Tree Hill
Please
Acrobat
Bad (live)
The Electric Co
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Do You Feel Loved
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Hold Me Thrill Me
Miss Sarajevo
Miami
Mofo
Numb
Beautiful Day
City Of Blinding Lights

twochordcool said:

What I personally love about U2, which is why I am defending them so strongly, IS the quality and consistency of all of their music.

MOST other artists you could probably go directly to their "Best Of" CD and not really worry about missing anything. I think it would be a big mistake to take that stance as far as U2 is concerned.

:laugh:

Doing as many as I can

1. Lemon
2. Red Hill Mining Town
3. Seconds
4. Mofo
5. Numb
6. Please
7. Stay
8. Sweetest Thing
9. One
10. Until the End of the World
11. Bad
12.HMTMKMKM
13. Ultraviolet
14. Original of the Species
15. Walk On
16. If God Will Send His Angels
17. The Electric Co.
18. Last Night on Earth
19. Acrobat
20. Peace on Earth
21. Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
22. The Wanderer
23. Xanax and Wine
24. I Will Follow
25. With or Without You
26. Smile
27. The Refugee
28. Zoo Station
29. Van Diemen's Land
30. "40"
31. Beautiful Day
32. All Because of You
33. All I Want is You
34. The Fly
35. Out of Control

After 15 the ordering gets wonky cause I really couldn't put those songs above/below each other.
My top ten is pretty much right.

twochordcool said:

In fairness, I don't know enough about the Beatles to argue that they were not as consistent -

Can't you see how silly this is? You speak in broad general terms about "MOST other artists" :blahblah: in the entire history of music and yet admit that you don't even know much about this
the most influential band ever. It's pretty inconsistent.

U2Man said:

Can't you see how silly this is? You speak in broad general terms about "MOST other artists" :blahblah: in the entire history of music and yet admit that you don't even know much about this

Good Dane :up:

U2Man said:

But I know enough of them, from the their songs on the radio, to know that I'm not as impressed by them as I am U2...

My brother is a huge Rush fan, and I know enough about them to know that I am not nearly as impressed -

My sister in law loves Dave Matthews - same there - not as impressed with the stuff that I know.

It's a fair assumption that if their radio hits don't do it for me then digging deeper will probably not reveal much more to the bands.

If you go top 10 songs by each artist, head to head, will it change much if you went to a hypothetical top 100 from each band? I don't think so.

It's widely accepted, even by some non-fans, that U2 are the biggest / greatest / best band in the world -

I find it funny that I have to defend this at a U2 message board!

is it me or are you positively shitting all over what should be a reasonable thread? could you please stop playing a game of one-upmanship and thinking you HAVE to defend each and every thing that's being questioned as if it gives you the high ground where personal opinion and taste are concerned!

this is complete bollocks, I come here to discuss the music of a band I have loved for many years and people like you barging in and start blabbering on as if the rest of us care about your sodding sister and what you think of Dave Fucking Matthews are just ruining it for the rest of us. Nobody cares so shut up and get back to talking about U2 and perhaps contribute something useful to this thread like a Top 65...or at least put some effort into a Top 25...

ps. 'If God Will Send His Angels' is a poor song.

Top 65 is absurd for reasons that I already mentioned.

I'll give you my top 5 and then the next 95 songs are tied for #6 - honestly. THAT'S how much I love U2.

1) Drowning Man
2) MLK
3) Love Is Blindness
4) If God Will Send His Angels
5) Please

Actually, this is so absurd - it's just impossible. There are just too many strong songs that I would not want to leave out.

Ridiculous.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

twochordcool said:

blah blah blah!!!

^
I agree. That does pretty much sum up your arguments. :)

My bad - he must be such a great musical artist that I failed to even know who he is!

Yep. He is. And it doesn't surprise me in the least that you don't know who he is -- I'd be more shocked if you did know. :shrug:

As for the actual topic of the thread -- I guess I'd have to put most of U2's songs from their early albums on my list of 65 faves as I don't know many songs past those. And yet some of those songs would have to be on my least liked U2 songs also, because some of them I find really, really annoying.

...I guess I should dig out my cassettes (yeah, I only have them on cassettes :) ) and at least come up with a top 10 or so list.... I'll give that a go.

gareth brown said:
this is complete bollocks, I come here to discuss the music of a band I have loved for many years and people like you barging in and start blabbering on as if the rest of us care about your sodding sister and what you think of Dave Fucking Matthews are just ruining it for the rest of us. Nobody cares so shut up and get back to talking about U2 and perhaps contribute something useful to this thread like a Top 65...or at least put some effort into a Top 25

Everything I've said is related - read.

twochordcool said:
Top 65 is absurd for reasons that I already mentioned.

I'll give you my top 5 and then the next 95 songs are tied for #6 - honestly. THAT'S how much I love U2.

1) Drowning Man
2) MLK
3) Love Is Blindness
4) If God Will Send His Angels
5) Please

Actually, this is so absurd - it's just impossible. There are just too many strong songs that I would not want to leave out.

Ridiculous.

Maybe you should find the "let's fellate everything U2" forum instead of posting on a forum designated as "This is the general discussion area, primarily to be used for reactions and thoughts about U2."

If you notice it does not say all reactions and thoughts have to be unfailingly suck-upingly positive. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom