It's time for some really long songs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
U2 has always been making songs that have a standard length: 3-5 minutes. There are only a few songs that are longer than 6 minutes: Bad, Zooropa, Lemon, Love Rescue Me, Hawkmoon 269 and Mercy.

I would really love it when U2 would try to make a few 10+ minute songs! Could you imagine a U2 album with only six songs that has a length of about 50 minutes?! :drool:

no. i think, at the roots, U2 are still punk rock n' roll. i dont think they'd venture into any floyd-ish rock extravaganzas. . . and i dont think they should.

6 mins max for me , loose intrest after that even if its full of guiatr riffs.

Here comes a 22 minute jam. Edge will be using 2 different hand positions on the guitar for a total of 4 different note choices.

:heart:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm a fan of longer songs, when done right, but I've never heard of a 10+ minute song done right.

I've heard plenty. Dream Theater's 23 minute long A Change Of Seasons is too short. When it's over, I feel like it's just been on for a couple of minutes and needs to keep going. If you ask me, that's the sign of a good song.

And I'd also say the best performances of Bad and 40 are those that have gone for 10+ minutes.

My fear with a 10+ minute U2 song is that it would get boring simply because U2 is not usually all too varied during a song. Zooropa's a good example of how they should do it - several distinct phases.

Though, if you ask me, a good album is one that sounds like a big, cohesive track - thematically and musically intertwined to establish a great listening experience (as opposed to a "collection of songs" like HTDAAB). I'd be happy if U2 could simply do that - the songs could still be 3-5 minutes, but if they flow nicely together, I'd be very happy. I feel UF, JT, and Passengers achieve that for much of their length and it goes some way to explaining why they are my three favourite albums.

discothequeLP said:
no. i think, at the roots, U2 are still punk rock n' roll.

Edge was significantly influenced by Television, whose song Marquee Moon is more than 10 minutes long. So it's wrong to say their roots consist solely of sub-5 minute songs.

yup...its time for u2's "stairway to heaven" :wink:

i honestly dont care, itll be good no matter the length

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm a fan of longer songs, when done right, but I've never heard of a 10+ minute song done right.

For example, I really love Neil Young's Ragged Glory that's full of long songs.

Some other ideas: Pink Floyds' albums Wish you were here and Animals.

Long songs? Many would start complain again..................
:shrug:

I would love it, but long songs are pretty difficult to elaborate, you need to make many variations, otherwise the song comes out monotone and boring.

Axver said:

I've heard plenty. Dream Theater's 23 minute long A Change Of Seasons is too short. When it's over, I feel like it's just been on for a couple of minutes and needs to keep going. If you ask me, that's the sign of a good song.

And I'd also say the best performances of Bad and 40 are those that have gone for 10+ minutes.

Yeah I know the Dream Theater song you're talking about, can't listen to more than 5 minutes of it. Far too much masterbation in that song.

Yeah live performances are different, the studio versions of those songs are the perfect length.

Axver said:
Though, if you ask me, a good album is one that sounds like a big, cohesive track - thematically and musically intertwined to establish a great listening experience (as opposed to a "collection of songs" like HTDAAB).

you mean like Achtung Baby?

;)

Exceptions to the rule.
(AIWIY could have easily ended before the strings come in, isn't WGRYWH shorter than the 5:00 mark?)

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Exceptions to the rule.
(AIWIY could have easily ended before the strings come in, isn't WGRYWH shorter than the 5:00 mark?)

No, album verstion of Horses is 5:16.

Well then I guess you should show me which ones do suck.

I was thinking Lemon, Zooropa, New York, Grace, Mercy

(not saying their long songs suck, I just meant sometimes the songs past 5:00 tend to drag on)

It's not the length of the wand, it's the magic within...

...er, or something like that.

I've always thought that U2's songs were, overall, just the right length. After a while, it's hard to listen to them - especially the classics - and try to reconceptualize them as extra long or way different. It's like Beatles songs.

With that said, sometimes when i listen to looong guitar-tsunami freak-out songs (especially the 18-minute+ live versions of Built to Spill's "Cortez the Killer" and/or "Broken Chairs"), i fantasize how great it would be if Edge had some of those sustained guitar-god moments.

I'd love to see a concept album from U2. Something along the lines of PF's The Wall or Kate Bush's Aeriel (I LOVE Aeriel). I'd love to hear an album of songs with common musical themes and transitions that ties the music together. Something that's long, moody and takes you on a journey of sorts. U2's been around long enough, it's time they made a concept album!

Really long songs would interest me too, as I'm a sucker for huge epic songs. Yes's Tales from Topographic Oceans is one of my favorite albums and it consists of four songs around 22 minutes each. Not so sure U2 could pull off songs THAT long though (which is why I'd like a concept album) because U2 isn't exactly the most technically capable band. We'll never hear 5 minute guitar doodle sessions from the Edge or drawn out drum solos from Larry. Like someone else said, something like Zooropa is the style I think they shouldgo in with that.

I highly doubt this will happen though.

An Cat Dubh is 6:16 studio, and Into The Heart is an extension (seeing as the music doesn't stop). Therefore, along with Into The Heart (clocking in at 1:58), the total song is 8:14 on the album. Epic.

Back
Top Bottom