It's Rubin For Sure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Waiting? I've had it since July. Edge plays a 10 minute guitar solo. :drool:

I am sure The Edge playing a 10 minute guitar solo won't sound anything like a 10 minute guitar solo.

great news.

really excited about rubin getting on and doing some work with the boys...i think something great can come out of this.

I think I personally like the idea of Rick Rubin taking U2 out of their comfort zone. U2 are used to recording and looking at parts of songs and creating songs out of them but when somebody comes in and tells them they can't record a single track until its good it puts them in a corner where they have never been and its up to U2 to find out if its a good thing or not. That is the problem with U2 nowadays is that they are so big that if they don't like the way the producer is working they can just say fuck it and toss em a side without sticking it out.

I think U2 still can say Goodbye to any producer whenever they wish to for the following reasons.

After 25 years of making music they now know a thing or two about songs. Producer is just the organiser of the song, he doesn't create it. The music must come out of the artiste as they desire. It doesn't necessarily has to conform to certain pre determined norms.

U2 is not like bands who writes in a classical way. Their style is very much dependent of jamming with each other and what comes out of it. Hence for them writing is pretty much pursuing certain musical ideas.

We must respect the fact that U2 has got so far on their own terms. They must reserve the right to do what they feel is right for them. It's their sound and no one should control it. We as fans must be ready to accept the consequences.

2233 said:

I am sure The Edge playing a 10 minute guitar solo won't sound anything like a 10 minute guitar solo.

It sounds like two notes over and over and over and over again (and drenched in echo and delay) with a third note thrown in every couple of minutes for added spice. :happy:

Utoo said:

Let's hope that U2 don't start singing about California.....:wink:

Well, a track called 'Los Angles' would complete the 'Songs-Named-After-Major-Cities-In-The-USA-Trilogy'

'Miami'
'New York'
'??????'

Canadiens1160 said:

Wait, I'm sorry, what? :eyebrow:

Don't be sorry for asking questions. Musicians create song, Producer helps them sound like they want to.

Rafiennes said:

Well, a track called 'Los Angles' would complete the 'Songs-Named-After-Major-Cities-In-The-USA-Trilogy'

'Miami'
'New York'
'??????'

Chicago? Boston?

2233 said:

Producer is just the organiser of the song, he doesn't create it.

Uh..ever heard of Mutt Lange? He co-writes with his bands as does Bob Rock and Brian Eno.

I get your point, but U2 uses a producer to keep the peace within the band. An outsider who is allowed to veto certain aspects of their music and not let them go off on too many wild tangents.

With an outside producer everyone is inclusive in some way or another. Bono and Edge can't ignore Adam's suggestion if the producer agrees with Adam. I mean, this isn't the only reason they use a producer, but I'm sure it's a reason they still do.

Rubin is decent, and different for U2, but I had my hopes set on Nigel Godrich, now that'd be an awesome collaboration.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I get your point

Thanks, my original post was in the context of producers role with in U2. I know Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno do a lot of jams in studio with U2 and some of them even makes it on the record. But then Danny and Brian are mentors of the band in many ways.

I don't see a man as busy as Rubin would be able to get on the same wavelength based on the working paradigm of U2 that you mentioned, unless they have pre-planned something very specific that they desire to achieve. Just a speculation.

2233 said:
IWe must respect the fact that U2 has got so far on their own terms. They must reserve the right to do what they feel is right for them. It's their sound and no one should control it. We as fans must be ready to accept the consequences.

I love it when people write this sort of thing ('We must respect..." & "we as fans must be ready to accept") on a message board.

Ah ...... No. No, we don't have to respect or accept.

If we did, there wouldn't be a message board.

Dalton said:
Ah ...... No. No, we don't have to respect or accept.

really? you don't think it's possible to think that something sucks, but still respect the process by which it came to your ears?

no one is saying to abdicate an opinion, but merely to respect U2 and their history and the fact that they obviously believe in the material, even if you don't like it, for it isn't their job to cater to you, but to satisfy themselves. if you want to join them where they are, great, if you don't, that's fine as well.

anyway, i'm thrilled with everything so far. i thought the beach clips sounded fantastic. i think Rubin will do good things. i think they are challenging and pushing themselves. i think we're going to get a less "safe" album than the last two (really my own criticisms of the last 2 albums, which i think are superlative examples of modern songwriting)

Irvine511 said:

really? you don't think it's possible to think that something sucks, but still respect the process by which it came to your ears?

Irvine, I was refering more to the spirit of the original post that implied that this discussion was over because fans 'must accept' what the band does. This place exists because people don't just accept what the band does. We want to talk about it.

However I do think we are kidding ourselves when we say that the band makes music for themselves. If they were making music for themselves they wouldn't go to these great lengths (IPod commercials, endless media junkets, etc.) The fact is that the band IS trying to cater to us. That's their job. Now, I don't think the band is making music just because they think it will sell. I think they make the kind of music that they like that they think will sell.

2233 said:

Don't be sorry for asking questions. Musicians create song, Producer helps them sound like they want to.
It's completely dependant on the band. Listen to demo tapes from Skynyrd and compare that to demo tapes from Elvis Costello.

Dalton said:

Irvine, I was refering more to the spirit of the original post that implied that this discussion was over because fans 'must accept' what the band does. This place exists because people don't just accept what the band does. We want to talk about it.

However I do think we are kidding ourselves when we say that the band makes music for themselves. If they were making music for themselves they wouldn't go to these great lengths (IPod commercials, endless media junkets, etc.) The fact is that the band IS trying to cater to us. That's their job. Now, I don't think the band is making music just because they think it will sell. I think they make the kind of music that they like that they think will sell.

If that's what you think, what's the point in being an artist and still enjoying your own work? That's what has been happening with U2. Have you seen already that these last years they seem happy about it?

And I can't agree with the "This place exists because people don't just accept what the band does. We want to talk about it." What you said is what some want this forum to turn in. This is not only a place wher you can come and say every piece of shit you want to load. Unfortunatelly, it happens. This was supposed to be not only a place of discussing, of criticizing, of sharing ideas, of presenting solutions and alternatives, but mostly this is a place of celebration. What's wrong with some moderation about bad statements? I think that's not offensive.

Aygo said:

If that's what you think, what's the point in being an artist and still enjoying your own work? That's what has been happening with U2. Have you seen already that these last years they seem happy about it?

aygo, you may need to reread my post. I never said U2 are making music that they don't like. I think they are making music that they want to make, BUT they are certainly not just making music for themselves. They are making music for us. That is why they do all the adverts. That is why they make all those appearances on TV. That is why they do all the interviews. They are trying to get their music out there to people and have those people like it.

Aygo said:

And I can't agree with the "This place exists because people don't just accept what the band does. We want to talk about it." What you said is what some want this forum to turn in. This is not only a place wher you can come and say every piece of shit you want to load. Unfortunatelly, it happens. This was supposed to be not only a place of discussing, of criticizing, of sharing ideas, of presenting solutions and alternatives, but mostly this is a place of celebration. What's wrong with some moderation about bad statements? I think that's not offensive.

I'm not really sure I understand what you are saying in this post, so I am going out on a limb here, but let me say this: Interference is the most heavily moderated board I have ever come across. There are people here who do not like the last two albums that U2 have done and they come here (because they are fans of the band) to discuss their disappointment about something that they care deeply about. Perhaps this offends you. It shouldn't. I don't agree with a lot of what is posted by that group of fans, but I respect their right to have those opinions, just as I have to respect the right to an opinion of the fans on this board that have a mild stroke of joy everytime the band has a gaseous moment.

This place DOES exist because people want to discuss U2 and not just accept what they do. I accept what Nick Lachey does. I have no need to discuss it one way or another. I don't care. He exists and I have no opinion. When U2 make a move, I want to discuss it.

Dalton wrote: Interference is the most heavily moderated board I have ever come across. There are people here who do not like the last two albums that U2 have done and they come here (because they are fans of the band) to discuss their disappointment about something that they care deeply about. Perhaps this offends you. It shouldn't. I don't agree with a lot of what is posted by that group of fans, but I respect their right to have those opinions, just as I have to respect the right to an opinion of the fans on this board that have a mild stroke of joy everytime the band has a gaseous moment. This place DOES exist because people want to discuss U2 and not just accept what they do.
@Dalton: great post :up: :applaud:

Dalton said:

I'm not really sure I understand what you are saying in this post, so I am going out on a limb here, but let me say this: Interference is the most heavily moderated board I have ever come across. There are people here who do not like the last two albums that U2 have done and they come here (because they are fans of the band) to discuss their disappointment about something that they care deeply about. Perhaps this offends you. It shouldn't. I don't agree with a lot of what is posted by that group of fans, but I respect their right to have those opinions, just as I have to respect the right to an opinion of the fans on this board that have a mild stroke of joy everytime the band has a gaseous moment.

This place DOES exist because people want to discuss U2 and not just accept what they do. I accept what Nick Lachey does. I have no need to discuss it one way or another. I don't care. He exists and I have no opinion. When U2 make a move, I want to discuss it.

:drool: :up:

Dalton said:

There are people here who do not like the last two albums that U2 have done and they come here (because they are fans of the band) to discuss their disappointment about something that they care deeply about.

But that simply isn't the case for a large number of posters on here like Shaun Vox, Ponkine etc etc... They use this place to indulge their hatred in 00's U2, in fact they get off on it. There is no disappointment, no discussion, just an endless torrent of repetitive abuse.

roy said:

But that simply isn't the case for a large number of posters on here like Shaun Vox, Ponkine etc etc... They use this place to indulge their hatred in 00's U2, in fact they get off on it. There is no disappointment, no discussion, just an endless torrent of repetitive abuse.

Even kings have jesters mate.

Dalton said:
There are people here who do not like the last two albums that U2 have done and they come here (because they are fans of the band) to discuss their disappointment about something that they care deeply about. Perhaps this offends you. It shouldn't. I don't agree with a lot of what is posted by that group of fans, but I respect their right to have those opinions, just as I have to respect the right to an opinion of the fans on this board that have a mild stroke of joy everytime the band has a gaseous moment.

This is by far the best post I've read on Interference, ever!

roy wrote: But that simply isn't the case for a large number of posters on here like Shaun Vox, Ponkine etc etc... They use this place to indulge their hatred in 00's U2, in fact they get off on it. There is no disappointment, no discussion, just an endless torrent of repetitive abuse
:wave: roy
i don't think so roy. they're just disappointed with the song quality after 1997. but i think they are still fans. i am still a fan but i don't like most of their last 2 albums too much. thats the way it is. the interference forum is a discussion forum which still has the power to be a place for freedom of speech. if you like it or not.

roy said:

:shh:

Bano can't sing and it's clear my friend! You must be a blind follower, a sheep and/or a part of the U2 team! There is no way a
real U2 fan would like the last two albums.

I also like(d, thank the forum for the Ignore option) those who march around the forum, and spit thunder and sulfur over the last two albums, since day 1 of their release. Regardless if the last two album are the topic of the thread.

Ah, but what fun would this forum be without the dissenters? I mean I know it gets redundant and annoying, but at least we get a spirited conversation in here.

Both Shaun Vox and ponkine grate on me too...at times, but it's obvious they are fans. Some people like to push the envelope and shock. If you let it get to you then it will...but remember you can fight back or ignore them too.

I think that this subject has been so much discussed, about the blind sheeps, the bashers, the respect or the lack of it, the accepting vs confortating (or bashing too) that sometimes it gets sick.
I have stated my position about this so many times here, and since - at least, the most active posters - many people knows, I don't think there's the need to get around it again and telling the same boring story.

Back
Top Bottom