Is Please the best song U2's ever written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SkeeK said:

I don't mean to detract from your hating of Pop, which is totally up to you.. but i would recommend getting the single version of Please, listening to it, and pretending it's not on Pop. Because the single version really isn't much like the rest of Pop... sweeping strings, beautiful melodic guitars and soaring vocals... sounds more in place on JT or perhaps a cross between the MDH soundtrack and ATYCLB. Seriously. I just really like to think that everyone can be as profoundly moved by this song as it has done to me.

:yes: I LOVE the single and live versions of Please (although the album version ain't too shabby either!)

Skeek thanks but Please just doesn't do it for me. I was one of the 'lucky' ones who got to hear Please live on this tour. Bono was standing within feet of me in Atlanta, head to head with Edge, reading the lyrics off the floor. Same thing in Baltimore, Please right in front of me. I even got the ballyhooed Please into Streets, but I like Bad into Streets better. Please just didn't hit the spot for me. In all my 8 Elevation shows, I never heard such silence go through the crowd as the perplexed audience struggled to name the song as it started. A few girls near me were responsive to it, other than that it just layed there. It was lost on most of the crowd, and I mean these were lively, excited, U2 loving bunches who could sing all the other songs word for word. I also got the acoustic SATS in Charlotte and one more show. If I had to pick a Pop song it would be Gone, Gone at DC 1 rocked the way they do it now. It took on a whole new life.

GypsyHeartGirl, I'm not sure where you were in Baltimore when they played Please, but it was not near me. I was directly in front of Edge and the only reason people were quiet was because they had tears flowing down their faces. One of the most beautiuful moments of my life I can say.....

Anyway, it's in my top 5 songs, and can really touch you deep down. One more example that U2 was at their best in the 90's...

Dustybot said:
GypsyHeartGirl, I'm not sure where you were in Baltimore when they played Please, but it was not near me. I was directly in front of Edge and the only reason people were quiet was because they had tears flowing down their faces. One of the most beautiuful moments of my life I can say.....

Anyway, it's in my top 5 songs, and can really touch you deep down. One more example that U2 was at their best in the 90's...

What I mean is, no cheer of recognition or happiness went up from the crowd the way it did most of the other songs. I'm sure some were moved somewhere. It's a shame it was wasted on me since I don't like it. When it happened, I was thinking that. But I got plenty of other songs that were special to me so I'm not complaining. But he did read the lyrics off the floor at both the shows. The part that goes Please, please just makes me carsick for some reason. I am such a U2 fanatic and I love so many songs so much, but not this one.

Please just isn't a song you can cheer to, you're not supposed to. That's why I think it fits so well with Streets, you go from pure, sweet melancholy to the gates of exuberant heaven. An unbelievable feeling for me.

The acoustic version I heard in Providence (1), was real powerful in the wake of events of 9/11. Please is one of those songs that makes you reflect on the power of hate/love.............I also agree that the single version is highly superior and should be put on the next greatest album.

Dustybot said:
Please just isn't a song you can cheer to, you're not supposed to. That's why I think it fits so well with Streets, you go from pure, sweet melancholy to the gates of exuberant heaven. An unbelievable feeling for me.

And for me as well Dustybot, nicely put, thank you. Please segued for Street was the stand out of my concert, Popmart in Buenos Aires. It was hard to refrain from having tears in my eyes. Please was superbly performed, with Bono going mental in the end. I could feel how much that song means to him, he threw himself in the song as if he were desperated and full of passion. And then it came the redemption that is Streets. Marvellous. I will never forget those moments. And I would love to be able to have that experience again and listen to Please live once again.

Last edited:
Dustybot said:

WOWY isn't a song you can cheer to either but they did! I don't mean cheer as in whoopee, I am talking about a happy noise of recognition as in the crowd lets up a collective noise in response to hearing a song they want to hear and knowing it as it starts up. That did not happen with Please! That is what I'm trying to say. It seemed most fans did not know what it was at first and that did not happen with any other song, regardless of its tempo or subject matter! No, I don't buy for a second that thousands of people were so moved with tears in their eyes that they couldn't make a sound. I mean most of them did not recognize the song like they did all the rest, which means it is not a favorite of most fans.

Is Bad not melancholy as well? Much better song too. Give me Bad into Streets!

Last edited:
GypsyHeartgirl said:

WOWY isn't a song you can cheer to either but they did! I don't mean cheer as in whoopee, I am talking about a happy noise of recognition as in the crowd lets up a collective noise in response to hearing a song they want to hear and knowing it as it starts up. That did not happen with Please! That is what I'm trying to say. It seemed most fans did not know what it was at first and that did not happen with any other song, regardless of its tempo or subject matter! No, I don't buy for a second that thousands of people were so moved with tears in their eyes that they couldn't make a sound. I mean most of them did not recognize the song like they did all the rest, which means it is not a favorite of most fans.

Is Bad not melancholy as well? Much better song too. Give me Bad into Streets!

I'm quoting your whole post, but the specific part I will respond to is this:

"It seemed most fans did not know what it was at first and that did not happen with any other song, regardless of its tempo or subject matter! No, I don't buy for a second that thousands of people were so moved with tears in their eyes that they couldn't make a sound. I mean most of them did not recognize the song like they did all the rest, which means it is not a favorite of most fans."

First, let me point out that the Please+Streets thing on Popmart was played differently -- more like the album version. The Elevation version is a very different -- more quiet and chanting than the album version. Thus, it could throw casual fans off, and also fans who aren't following every single song played at concerts and already know what it sounds like. Second, the third leg was mostly comprised of the same songs and a few rarely played songs. Most of the songs they played were either upbeat, popular, or off of ATYCLB, so most of them would be familiar and not confuse/surprise many fans. Third.. I don't know what to say really, but the "I mean most of them did not recognize the song like they did all the rest, which means it is not a favourite of most fans" comment bothered me. :|

And yes, I know, there are the fans who don't like Pop. And I know you don't like Please. And I know every fan has their own opinion and reaction to a certain song, but I personally have never heard anyone but you say they hated the live version of Please -- I've only heard good comments.

edit: I forgot to mention that I've seen Please live, 2 or 3 times I believe. Each time the crowd was VERY into it, singing along to every word, and very enthusiastic.

Last edited:
Obviously there would be no cheer of recognition if the song was being played in a rather different, unrecognizable form.

follower said:
Not sure, but I think Bono said that Stay is the best song they have ever written. Anyways I absolutely love Please, although I agree with Skeek on the single version being superior than the album one, musically speaking. As for the lyrics, Please comes from an era of fabulous songwriting by Bono, which is the POP era. Please is an outstanding peace IMO.

i agree with follower

please is one of my *favorite* u2 songs!

on comparing please with asoh....
we cannot compare please with asoh b/c the songs coming from 2 different places in u2's career (musically) and in bono's head (lyrically).

both are excellent songs, but we can't compare apples & oranges.
:)

definitely one of their best songs in lyrical content and musical dexterity. Damn shame that many people will never get over their biases and give it a chance...but oh well. Hidden treasures are always the best, imo.

It's hard to believe there are still people that reject any song from POP just on principle. Oh well.

U2Kitten said:
Anybody want to make any arguments against "One?"
:silent: :D

Dustybot said:
couldn't have said it better myself.

Dustybot said:
It's hard to believe there are still people that reject any song from POP just on principle.
i know exactly how you feel. but then again, i love pop so i'm biased. i guess pop haters can justify it the way i hate atyclb. i will never like anything (yes, literally nothing) from that album.

but anyway, i wouldn't say please is the best lyrically, but it comes pretty damn close.

After I first listened to Pop I came close to throwing it against the wall - that's how much I disliked it. But now, five years later, I'm finally beginning to appreciate some of the songs from it -particularly "Please" and "Gone" - mainly because of hearing the live versions.

I'd like to go on record as saying ATYCLB and POP are my number 2 and 3 U2 albums, so I can't fully agree with you Khanada. :D

However, you made good sense until the ATYCLB comment. ;)

I find it hard to believe that anyone can seriously say Gone, Please, and Staring at the Sun don't rank right up there with U2's best work. They're such universal songs. Even if you didn't particularly like POP's more adventurous sonic landscape, these are mainly straightforward rocking U2 songs.

I'm sorry if I'm ranting, but I hate it when people bash anything the band did in the late 90's just because they carried around a big lemon and looked like aliens.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i know exactly how you feel. but then again, i love pop so i'm biased. i guess pop haters can justify it the way i hate atyclb. i will never like anything (yes, literally nothing) from that album.

Unfortunately, put me down for this as well.

Pop rocks, Please rocks. Please is just plain beautiful, and I ain't even heard the single version Skeek referred to. I love the album version to bits! And the Mexico Popmart version brings goosebumps everytime:D

I can see what GypsyHeartGirl is saying, but it's wrong. Plain and simple, you can't judge the song and the quality of the lyrics on the reaction it got when it was first played to some people who may not be that familiar with it. I get the same thing even when I'd be watching it with mates who are not exactly U2 fans, and I'd be watchin the vid, and it wouldn't be the same to them cos they have never really heard it before. Never sat and absorbed it. I'd be really into it and they'd be sitting there all bored outta their skulls, but most of my friends who actually listened to it love it. Muscially the 2nd half really kicks in, but I just love the song anyway.

And the way it slips into Streets on popmart is just class, IMO better than the Bad/Streets combo.

This thread never declared what 'best song' exactly means. I think it's a different definition for everyone. I find it impossible to figure out which U2 song I like the best, mainly because it constantly changes. There are many characteristics that make up a band's 'best song.' All of those characteristics depend on each individual's opinion. In my opinion, Please is definitely one of U2's best songs. For me, that song displays emotion, moreso than One or even Streets. But that varies from person to person.

I don't believe the topic was meant to be taken literal. We could sit here and debate for hours on which U2 song could be described as 'best.' I think Please is a very good candidate, and many people have listed reasons why. U2 was definitely at their best when they performed it live on the PopMart tour. This thread is turning into a Pop-vs.-ATYCLB thread, which I don't believe was the original intention. Please is a great song, and is personally my favorite song. There's a difference between favorite song and best song though.

I do not think that Bad is a better song than Please. I do not think that ATYCLB is a superior album to Pop. It all comes down on what you think as an individual. The question if Please is U2's best song or not will never be answered unanimously. But I think Please is a song that deserves to be recognized, :D... I love Pop.

uhhh okay, so my whole entire argument holds no water just because you guys LOVE atyclb? wtf? it's a freakin example.

for those who hate october, you could say "i guess they hate pop in the same way that i hate october since it sucks." or fill it in with whatever your least favourite album is.

didn't know we had so many close-minded people on this forum.

I absolutely LOVE Please! It's one of the best written songs, IMO! I love it and it's definitely in my top 10! :)

I love the Pleast into Streets, that was just awesome!

I think people reacted differently to "Please" live druing the Elevation concert! I think it's kinda dumb to base something on the crowd reaction..... there were tons of concerts and I'm sure it got lots of different reaction everywhere.... the first time I heard it I was really happy and got really excited about it! These great ladies next to us... were really moved by it and so was I! I thought it was beautiful! I loved it!

I don't think that Please is necessarily THE best song, it would be really hard to pick just one song as the best. Please would probably make my top ten though. Please and SATS are my favorite songs off of Pop, and Pop is one of my favorite U2 albums.

KhanadaRhodes said:
uhhh okay, so my whole entire argument holds no water just because you guys LOVE atyclb? wtf? it's a freakin example.

...Were you referring to me?

'Cause I like Pop a lot more than ATYCLB... And I think your argument made a lot of sense. :D I hope you didn't interpret my post as directed toward you. The main point of my post was to get attention away from the infamous Pop-ATYCLB battle, and back toward the main question of 'Please'.

I was only thinking about the "Please" lyrically a few days ago. It really is superb.

I would say that and two other POP tracks are up at U2's best lyrically.

PLEASE
IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS
and
WAKE UP DEAD MAN

Other tracks have great lines too;

"If you need someone to blame - throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty" - Dirty Day

"You've cry without weaping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice" - Running To Stand Still

"Love. What's that you say to me? Will love light up your Christmas tree? The next minute your blowing a fuse. And the Cartoon Network turns into the news" - If God Will Send His Angels

"Have you come here for forgiveness? Have you come to raise the dead? Have you come here to play Jesus... with the Lepors in your head?" - One

Need I go on?

nothing to add to the thread, but I just wanted to say that "Joshua_Tree_Hugger" is a hilarious nick! I love it! :D :yes:

Back
Top Bottom