Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ozeeko, you're forgetting how successful this song was...especially throughout the entire vertigo tour. :eyebrow:

I think you should go listen to Radiohead for a few days, it might relieve some of your frustration...THEN you can come back on here and make a little more sense...and don't forget to take your meds so you don't have another stroke over the "yeah yeah yeah" in veritgo...:rolleyes:

Anyway, if lyrics are the only concern as to whether U2 can have another great album, then they really haven't had a great album since Achtung Baby, which was the last album with few, if any, lyrical flaws.

Some will argue and say Zooropa had great lyrics--some of the songs did. Others didn't. Most people on here hate Babyface. Most people on here dislike Some Days Are Better Than Others. Others dislike Numb and Lemon. Is this for lyrical content? Partially, at the very least.

Others will say Pop had great lyrics. Again, some songs did. But Discotheque didn't. Nor Miami. Nor The Playboy Mansion. Nor Holy Joe (some will say it wasn't on the album, but it's on my copy). Big Girls Are Best was written in that era.

And yet the 00's lyrics are THAT much worse? I'd say they're on even par with U2 from 1993-1998, at the very least.

the tourist said:

I know what Numb is about, sport. Doesn't change the fact that the delivery is exactly the same as 10 seconds of the end of Vertigo.

As for "boom-cha," how exactly does that fit in with the idea of a dance club? And chewing bubblegum for crying out loud?

Actually the delivery isn't exactly the same. Numb's deadpan vocal rhythm is much more complicated than Vertigo's yea! yea! yea! yea! yea! yea! yea! yea! yea! yea!...it sounds like a record skipping for God's sake.

As for Boom-cha, i'll admit it sounds quite silly when taken out of context...but when it's done at a beat-break jam and followed by an icy 'discoteque' chant, it works. Plus the song takes place in a dance club, where a BOOM-CHA or something of that nature might be heard. Do you go to dance clubs to hear great lyrics or to dance and get lost in the groove? And chewing bubblegum? It's a metaphor, bro. He's not talking about Bubblicious. Put some thought into it.

ozeeko said:
And chewing bubblegum? It's a metaphor, bro. He's not talking about Bubblicious. Put some thought into it.

It's not a very good metaphor. That's the problem.

coolian2 said:
Btw, Vertigo live is one hell of a rock song. Tell an entire stadium that the bizarre Spanish count-in and the yeah, yeah, yeahs suck.

Given the opportunity, I gladly would. And at that concert can I pop out of a giant lemon?

coolian2 said:
Btw, Vertigo live is one hell of a rock song. Tell an entire stadium that the bizarre Spanish count-in and the yeah, yeah, yeahs suck.

Amen to that. And I hope they play Vertigo at every single one of their shows until they someday retire. Maybe it'll make getting tickets easier, because obviously that song's gonna drive away the die-hard fans. :rolleyes:

haha...exactly! Ozeeko, despite all your crying about the song, you can't argue the fact that the song is a huge hit and was one of the most successful songs throughout the entire tour...you seem to be ignoring this fact :rolleyes:

ozeeko said:

Because you're a simpleton.

Obviously. :|
When music makes you really have to think through silly random metaphors it loses quite a bit.

Last edited:
Rob33 said:
haha...exactly! Ozeeko, despite all your crying about the song, you can't argue the fact that the song is a huge hit and was one of the most successful songs throughout the entire tour...you seem to be ignoring this fact :rolleyes:

So? Are you saying artistic integrity is measured only by sales? What a shallow, narrow-minded argument. By your standards, Hanson's "MMMBop" is one of the greatest songs ever written.

And I wasn't ignoring any facts about Vertigo's success. I just didn't find it at all relevant to the topic of lyrics.

Nice post, Corky.

It's funny that die-hard U2 fans hate Vertigo. But a lot of the casual U2 fans love it. And a lot of people who aren't U2 fans like it quite a bit.

the tourist said:
It's funny that die-hard U2 fans hate Vertigo. But a lot of the casual U2 fans love it. And a lot of people who aren't U2 fans like it quite a bit.

I think you're onto something....

ozeeko said:

I think you're onto something....

The only problem with my little theory there is that a lot of the diehard fans (myself included) love Vertigo.

ozeeko said:

I'm a die-hard every decade fan for U2, with the exception of 70% of the BOMB. Some songs are decent.

I wasn't talking specifically about you.

ozeeko said:

So? Are you saying artistic integrity is measured only by sales? What a shallow, narrow-minded argument. By your standards, Hanson's "MMMBop" is one of the greatest songs ever written.

And I wasn't ignoring any facts about Vertigo's success. I just didn't find it at all relevant to the topic of lyrics.

Nice post, Corky.

Well, there you go. It's time for you to find someone else to love besides Bono because he has stated that he thought MMMBop is one of the greatest pop songs ever written. HEEHEEE!!!!

Dana

I have to say that U2 have the right to do whatever they like to. The hard reality is that they're a bunch of guys in their midlife crisis age, and they are going to write softer, less envelope-pushing stuff.

ATYCLB gets a hell of a lot of bashing around here, but for me, it has settled wonderfully for me over the years.

They will never come out with another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, but there is still a hell of a lot of potential for mid to late career brilliance. It all depends on how much the producers push the band to grab one or two things which they can rest on, and reinvent the rest.

ozeeko said:

Nice post, Corky.

NO , I wasn't saying that...nothing i have said thus far should lead you to believe that either...nice try making up bullshit to support your argument and keep your negativity afloat

Back
Top Bottom