Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i must add that the beauty of bono's voice from when they first began to the present is how dynamic it is...it is always changing, and he is constantly singing in different ways, and that makes it all the more pleasing and interesting to listen to...each new era will never be like the last exactly...and bono is the only singer that seems to possess this quality...look at most singers these days and even in the past...you rarely come across this...they all sound the same!! the green day singer for example..it's all the same crap over and over again, there is nothing special about it...i personally feel this way about thom yorke's voice (if you want to talk more about this, please, say it in the other thread)...those are just 2 examples but you get my point....

Well, I'm glad Bono sang well at the Union Chapel show. I just hope he keeps that up for the new album. And I hope the music really is as top notch as he claims (but he does seem to exaggerate).

Rob33 said:

I can't give you a better example than New Year's day, listen to buenos aires, and tell me that isn't the fullest, smoothest, most powerful explosion after "newspapers say, it's true..." Now, given, that is just one small example...but i also think he sings certain songs differently nowadays just to change things up a bit....nothing wrong with that....

There is even a stronger version of the line from one show on the 5th leg of Vertigo tour, I try to find it :)

Sorry guys, going to have to bow out of this discussion about Bono's voice. I'm leaving for a Christmas trip to my family tomorrow, and though I'll likely be on Interference while there, it won't be for any substantial periods of time and I won't have access to most of my U2 recordings. So even if I wrote out a reply now, I wouldn't be able to answer any of your responses, thus both wasting my time and yours with posts that won't lead to any real conclusion. Sorry - but Merry Christmas! :)

Axver said:

- While he does the "feel" part well, I think it simply lacks the power and dynamism of the late 1980s. For lack of a better word, it feels "thinner" now.

True, also he lost his lower register, especially in something like WOWY.
But as I watched Paris JT DVD I almost winced at how much he strained (and screamed) back then. I'd hate to be his vocal chords after a single night, let alone a full tour. And he sang like that for the entire first decade of his career (and he could still let it rip on Zoo TV).
That, to me, is more irreversible damage than any smoking - though that probably cost him his natural clear tone and turned his voice more gravely. I remember the first time I'd ever listen to a bootleg - Zoo TV Dublin - and thinking "ah, he'll sound like Achtung Baby". I was shocked at hearing the shady (for lack of a better word) voice.

Still, current (ES, Bomb, Vertigo tour) Bono voice is one of my favourite eras. If Union Chapel is anything to go by, I can only say bring it on.

edit: speaking of his voice chaning, what happened during War-UF era ? We know smoking changed his voice after 1990, and age/throat surgery affected his voice in the late 90's, but then ? It almost feels like he got out of puberty with that rich, full voice after the first three albums.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

But as I watched Paris JT DVD I almost winced at how much he strained (and screamed) back then. I'd hate to be his vocal chords after a single night, let alone a full tour. And he sang like that for the entire first decade of his career (and he could still let it rip on Zoo TV).
That, to me, is more irreversible damage than any smoking - though that probably cost him his natural clear tone and turned his voice more gravely. I remember the first time I'd ever listen to a bootleg - Zoo TV Dublin - and thinking "ah, he'll sound like Achtung Baby". I was shocked at hearing the shady (for lack of a better word) voice.

Still, current (ES, Bomb, Vertigo tour) Bono voice is one of my favourite eras. If Union Chapel is anything to go by, I can only say bring it on.

edit: speaking of his voice chaning, what happened during War-UF era ? We know smoking changed his voice after 1990, and age/throat surgery affected his voice in the late 90's, but then ? It almost feels like he got out of puberty with that rich, full voice after the first three albums.

The first 3 or 4 albums really do chart Bono's growth from a boy into a man and this is reflected in his voice. From 80-84 he's in that strange middle-space of not quite being a boy any longer but also not quite being a man yet either. If we look at Live Aid in 85 we can still see the very last traces of the boy, both in the way he looks and his persona, but by 87 we are very definitely seeing the man. This persona takes another jump by the time we see him again in 89, this is a person becoming far more confident in his abilities and, crucially, far more sure about the kind of person he wants to be. The earnest rock star role is beginning to frustrate him and he wants to make the necessary changes to reflect the kind of man he really is. Which came to fruition to a much greater extent on ZOO TV.

From 80-85, age obviously deepened his voice, but so did the constant touring, they say practice makes perfect and its true. After being on the road for 6 or 7 years and singing live, he naturally became a much better singer, despite the fact that he had neither been professionally schooled or taken a single singing lesson. Unlike the very early eighties where he had a tendency to just shout at the audience with his big, but undisciplined voice, by 87 his vocals are far more nuanced and shaded, so much more depth and substance. He really had whipped his voice into shape.

Unlike the nineties, throughout the eighties, Bono's voice makes a logical progression, it evolves much more naturally. With each and every tour it takes another few steps forward, steadily improving all the time, it always sounds like him, but its also always developing into something new, becoming more advanced and accomplished.

After 30 years of touring and pushing his voice to the absolute limit time and time again (without taking the proper steps to preserve and look after it) Bono's vocal chords must have their fair share of scars to show for it. Fortunately though he took the neccessary action just in time and is now not only protecting what he's got but also, incredibly enough, actually enhancing it.

shaun vox said:
the last great u2 album was achtung baby.
and thats a fact not an opinion.
cheers

Their all great, but the last one that was realy great: Zooropa.

DevilsShoes said:

The first 3 or 4 albums really do chart Bono's growth from a boy into a man and this is reflected in his voice. From 80-84 he's in that strange middle-space of not quite being a boy any longer but also not quite being a man yet either. If we look at Live Aid in 85 we can still see the very last traces of the boy, both in the way he looks and his persona, but by 87 we are very definitely seeing the man. This persona takes another jump by the time we see him again in 89, this is a person becoming far more confident in his abilities and, crucially, far more sure about the kind of person he wants to be. The earnest rock star role is beginning to frustrate him and he wants to make the necessary changes to reflect the kind of man he really is. Which came to fruition to a much greater extent on ZOO TV.

From 80-85, age obviously deepened his voice, but so did the constant touring, they say practice makes perfect and its true. After being on the road for 6 or 7 years and singing live, he naturally became a much better singer, despite the fact that he had neither been professionally schooled or taken a single singing lesson. Unlike the very early eighties where he had a tendency to just shout at the audience with his big, but undisciplined voice, by 87 his vocals are far more nuanced and shaded, so much more depth and substance. He really had whipped his voice into shape.

Unlike the nineties, throughout the eighties, Bono's voice makes a logical progression, it evolves much more naturally. With each and every tour it takes another few steps forward, steadily improving all the time, it always sounds like him, but its also always developing into something new, becoming more advanced and accomplished.

After 30 years of touring and pushing his voice to the absolute limit time and time again (without taking the proper steps to preserve and look after it) Bono's vocal chords must have their fair share of scars to show for it. Fortunately though he took the neccessary action just in time and is now not only protecting what he's got but also, incredibly enough, actually enhancing it.

If remember right Bono took some lessons when they recorded UF. The difference between War and Uf was big.

It should be a rule to not mention Bono's voice it just derails threads... but I guess it shows just how much people care...

No it is not unfair to expect a truly great album, they seem to have a lot of creative freedom right now as they're firmly established as the world's biggest band and don't have to worry about proving it with more grammys (22 is enough!) and songs to advertise "the new electric guitar"(or w/e Bono called it) ...

I enjoyed their last 2 albums (ATYCLB was SO CLOSE to being a "truly great album" imo), but I think this next one is going to be more adventurous and daring ... truly great I'm not sure... but it is definitely possible for U2

I won't care if Bono sounds like he has laryngitis on the next album if it has great songs with great lyrics that get under my skin or take me to another place. But I'm not counting on it. That way if they release a third nice, pleasant, crowd-pleasing album that doesn't move me that much I won't be disappointed because it will be what I was expecting, but if they release something that blows me away it will be even better because it will be a total shock.

U2girl said:

I don't know if I can agree with that, right now Im listen to WOS(live) and his low voice is stronger in years, more rich and deep. Also when he sings the snippet of Need You Tonight he shows it again.

I agree that the quality of Bono's range has declined. However, in my opinion, there's something indefineable about Bono's voice that makes it more impressive to me than it was during the late '80s, when it was much more powerful and more perfect technically (in my opinion). I think his voice is more nuanced now, and it just has...more soul. To me, Bono's voice now is the best it's ever been...

But I can't say the same about the songs. I don't really expect another "truly great" U2 album, to be honest. I expect U2 to try to please everyone again. I think they'll try to write another album full of crowd-pleasers that will fall far short of what they're capable of doing when they don't go into the studio with the mindset that they must compete with Britney etc.

I hope my expectations are disappointed!

Peterrrrr said:

I don't know if I can agree with that, right now Im listen to WOS(live) and his low voice is stronger in years, more rich and deep. Also when he sings the snippet of Need You Tonight he shows it again.

Wowy has sucked live since pop mart. they need to drop it or bono needs to actually sing it(ex. R&H)

shaun vox said:

Wowy has sucked live since pop mart. they need to drop it or bono needs to actually sing it(ex. R&H)

The 5th leg versions was a right step, but I think Bono could do a much better work with it now, and change the vocals a bit. Add more of his operatic sound to it, just like he added some Kermit sound to it on JT/LT tour.

Mac Phisto said:
Four men staring down the barrel of 50, with wives, children, business and charity ventures. The lead singer is a respected humanitarian and politician. Thirty-one years into a brilliant career, is it time to expect less of your favorite band?

Bono is doing is usual pre-album chatter about new sounds and influences ("molten metal," Moroccan influences etc.), but should this band be asked to create another masterpiece? And if they don't, should they be faulted for it?

As a longtime fan, I can honestly tell you that I don't hold them to that standard anymore. I did for ATYCLB, and I did for HTDAAB. But things have changed for me. I don't know why. I don't love the band any less. I've just tempered my expectations.

Give me a fun guitar-based single or two. Make the rest of the album passable. Come through my city twice on tour. That's all I need.

In short, I've reached the point where they've given me enough as a contemporary rock force. I'm now willing to embrace them for as much what they were as for what they are.

Although I liked Electrical Storm and Window In The Skies, I found them to be very safe and very MOR. They are no way near my top 20 U2 playlist. I know a lot of the 'younger' generation U2 fans love those tracks, but for a long time U2 fan, I pine for something from them that sounds like a modern day Exit or Electric Co for example. At the same time I know we just are not going to get that.

When people get older their music preferences differ, especially when playing music, and it influences what they write. Things seem to become more...mellow. It's not a fault, it's just the way things go.

If you look at the Stones, they haven't released anything decent in years and the fans go to hear the ole stuff rather than the new and I think that it's got to the point where a lot of people go to see U2 to hear songs like Sunday, Pride, Streets, WOWY and whatever other 'greatest hits' there are sitting in the back catalogue and you can tell that from 'fan' reaction.

I'd love to hear them do something totally off the wall, totally different...take a risk like they used to. But I don't think we'll get that if WITS is anything to go by.

Still, I'll no doubt enjoy what they release, although not as much as early era stuff, but to answer the original question, yes, I do believe it is not unfair to expect less of my favorite band.

the only thing unfair is judging the band on what you want them to be instead of judging them for what they are

i dont care if hey make another great album.
just go on tour and keep doing the great stuff they do on tour. ill survive and be happy.

Utoo said:
the One performance in Modena

The 95 version ? I like the orchestra in it but it's probably my least favourite live Bono vocal. It sounds like he's having a huge cold.

Saracene said:

Are they going to make another album that's going to be remembered alongside JT and AB in terms of stature? I doubt it - not necessarily because I don't think they're capable of quality, but maybe because they've already made the albums that define them for history as far as general perception is concerned. JT is the Ultimate U2 Album and AB is the Ultimate U2 Re-Invention Album. It would be bloody hard for any album, no matter how brilliant, to squeeze in.

I was thinking about this the other day and I think this may be just what they need now : not necessarily a great album (I won't complain if they do it though) but more like something career-defining again.

They had War - the album that focused their sound on the first two albums and is probably what people remember most about their pre JT days. The white flag boys.

Then there is JT - the obligatory "album that makes you big" but also what started the America-U2 love/hate affair. The serious phase, too. (especially when considering the follow up album and movie)

The last career defining moment was AB - the "reinvention" album but more importantly, one that got them out of JT's shadow, serious image and infatuation with America and enabled them to have a career beyond the 80's and still stay an important band.

Beautiful day is a song as important as Pride, WOWY/I still haven't found.../One in their catalogue but I don't think ATYCLB (or Pop if you like; both aren't nearly as big reinventions as AB was) is up there with those albums when history will look back on definitive U2 albums. It's time to leave the "let's compete with what's new, and take on the charts" phase of those albums, and Bomb wasn't that.

Re: Re: Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

neilm said:
If you look at the Stones, they haven't released anything decent in years and the fans go to hear the ole stuff rather than the new and I think that it's got to the point where a lot of people go to see U2 to hear songs like Sunday, Pride, Streets, WOWY and whatever other 'greatest hits' there are sitting in the back catalogue and you can tell that from 'fan' reaction.

That's the fans fault. The Stones put out a nice record a few years back. With some rocking tunes.
But buying it and listening it is too difficult for alot of people.

Unless you loved the Dead. But Dead fans suck for other reasons.

U2 can put out another perfect album. I question the fan's ability to recognize it. Motives get more attention than melody. The marketing gets judged more than the backbeat. Every lyric is laid next to and entire back catalogue.

A really good bunch of songs simply isn't enough.

Axver said:
I think HTDAAB has actually caused somewhat of a decline for ATYCLB. Prior to HTDAAB, there were all the Pop vs ATYCLB debates and they generated some pretty strong feeling. ATYCLB was the return some people wanted and they were willing to cling to it regardless of its cheese (Elevation), poor vocals (In A Little While), and b-sides posing as album tracks (Wild Honey). Then along came HTDAAB and the Pop vs ATYCLB debates are now a more generic 1990s vs 2000s debate. What's more, the poor showing of HTDAAB helped to reveal just how mundane ATYCLB was. This U2 sound became the norm, not a return. The common cheesiness and blandness shared by the albums has done nothing to help ATYCLB's image.

At the end of the day, there's no way either are classics or truly great and I don't think many people here think they are; not even their fans are regularly putting them up on a JT/AB pedestal as some people (including myself) will do with UF. HTDAAB could never be a classic without a remaster anyway; even if its songs were fantastic and lyrics worthwhile, its mixing is so horrifically bad that it's off-putting. If U2 are going to release another truly great album, they absolutely must have it mixed and mastered by someone who's got a clue, i.e. someone who will let the songs breathe and won't force the "loudness wars" upon them.

I was not posting in this thread until I read the hilarious silliness posted by Axver. :sexywink:

Allow me to offer an alternative view.

As a long time U2 fan, and one close to their ages, I often felt U2 and I were "in sync" in terms of musical preferences. They always stood out from the crowd, musically, and it always matched my mood.

After "Pop", even I grew tired of U2's "irony". I longed for something more substantial, where perhaps the power of the words weren't hidden. In other words, even though I loved U2's experimentation, I too wanted a bit of the 80's U2 back. And U2 delivered.

However, one problem I had with ATYCLB is that it seemed a little too "soft" - that is, a bit too easy listening. I adored the simplicity of "Elevation" - a fun rocking prayer, as well as many of the hits, but some of the latter tracks were too soft. That said, I strongly disagree with Axver about "Wild Honey" (if you think that's a b-side, I can rattle off quite a few songs from U2's other so-called masterpieces that should have been shelved or released as b-sides) or those who complained about Bono's vocals on "In a Little While" (because that means you completely missed the point of the song - it's a well known fact that Bono purposely sang that song as scratchy as he could to emphasize the lyrics - he's done this before).

While HTDAAB has that God-awful "A Man and a Woman" (one of U2's worst songs ever, but not THE worst, that's still a JT song), what I liked was the power. The songs had more meaning and rocked harder. U2 also showed their experimental side with "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars", two totally different styles that really stood out as highlights on the album. Plus, "Yahweh" is the best closer since "Love Is Blindness".

In other words, as much as I enjoyed ATYCLB when it was released, I saw how much more powerful U2 could be with this genre (i.e., the "every song is a single" style) with HTDAAB. The weakness of writing in that fashion is that the sum of all songs is less than each individual song. But U2 have done outright albums before, so this was an interesting style. I think the next step is to take this philosophy of every song being a single, yet turn it into a cohesive album. At the same time, U2 need to throw in some experimentation - ala "Fast Cars". Of course, that's a HUGE thing to ask any artist to do.

And that's the problem - it seems U2 fans aren't happy. Axver, for example, loathes "One", which most fans adore. I feel that song was Bono at his lyrical best. But Axver has the right to dislike it - however, his dislike showcases the issue. No fan will like everything. So U2 do what works best for them.

Do they need to prove themselves again? No. Finally the pressure is off. After "Pop", I do think they wanted to show the world that they aren't fading away as so many 80's bands did. With back-to-back multi-platinum albums and oceans of awards and sold out tours, it's clear U2 have once again dominated the music world. On top of this are all of U2's and Bono's charitable efforts, meaning they are always in the news.

So what are U2 to do? I think now is the best time to try something different. Sure, throw a bone for the studio execs to have their hit single and have something for the die-hards who must have that "U2 sound" (whatever that is), but have fun with the album. If it doesn't sell millions, that's O.K. U2 have nothing left to prove.

So while I don't agree with Axver's assessment of the last two albums in any form (nor do I agree with his assessment of what other fans think of those albums), I feel that the need to produce a "truly great album" is not necessary. And the best part of that is that by NOT trying, U2 may indeed produce another truly great album. The pressure is off - they are free to create. And that freedom may result in glory.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

MrBrau1 said:

Even here?

Not possible.

I agree. I don't think it's possible. Someone will hate it no matter what.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

the tourist said:

I agree. I don't think it's possible. Someone will hate it no matter what.
:yes:

and some will hate it simply because it will come in the 00's.....whether they admit it or not, that's the real reason...:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

Rob33 said:

:yes:

and some will hate it simply because it will come in the 00's.....whether they admit it or not, that's the real reason...:rolleyes:

Yes, I enjoy being let down by my all-time favorite band sooooo much that I would pretend to be disappointed if they really did produce an album this decade that I love as much as their '80s and '90s work. :rolleyes:

doctorwho said:
In other words, even though I loved U2's experimentation, I too wanted a bit of the 80's U2 back. And U2 delivered.
than each individual song.

Though I understand your point, I couldn't agree less. Why did we get tired of U2 in the 90ies? Simply because the optics of POPmart, the stage outfits, the light shows, Bono's gorilla walk, silly Karaoke song alongs ruled out & nearly wiped away, what has been always U2's essence: the raw power of the band, when the four of them played on stage; the emotional power of beautiful melodies and nearly poetic, lyrical words written by a man knowing that songs' lyrics are much more than throwaway words' stuff. And, no, I'm not an enemy of the album POP (I like it very much, as some of you know), but of the way it was promoted, presented and delivered on stage.
What happened next? After years of no new stuff we got ATYCLB. But this album was no way – and has never been since – en par with the work U2 created in the 80ies. Nor did it even connect to the masterpieces, the band wrote especially in the second half of the 80ies. Every single tune on ATYCLB was worse produced (flat sounding) than anything on TJT or T&H. And the songs themselves are not in the same category either, especially not from the lyrics' point of view. Not spoken about the much worse vocal performance Bono gave on the album. Live some of the tunes worked better, and I know, some of you might follow U2's marketing strategy and do praise "Beautiful Day" as a comeback rocker tune – but I don't: This tune is simply over-estimated, that is all.
What next? A more classical sounding approach on HTDAAB, with better tunes. This album at least had a warmth its predecessor lacks completely. And though many of you here disagree – this record is a great U2 album, much too under-rated, but not at all en par with the 80ies outout, too. And why should it? This decade has gone for a long time and for good? I do hope for new creative inputs & much better songwriting.
"You can't kill poetry" a moved Bono confessed after having performed "One Tree Hill", maybe U2's beste ever song, in NZ '06 – hope he does remember his talent as a real songwriter for the next album to make a difference in quality & to take a step forward ...

Back
Top Bottom