Is All Because of You DEAD in the water for the US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dying is more of the word to describe it......it's falling on the Modern Rock Charts and stayed at No. 20 on the Mainstream Rock Charts........it's a hit, but not a massive one like "Vertigo".....

It'll be interesting to see if "Sometimes" starts popping up on radio stations here in the US.......or perhaps they will wait for "City of Blinding Lights"? That could be the case and then we could see "Sometimes" hitting radio later in the year....

I haven't heard it on the radio. I very rarely listen to the radio, but I still heard "Vertigo" a lot when it was their main single (not just on the pop stations either, which is all the ATYCLB tracks ever got played on; it was nice to hear U2 on the modern rock stations again).

I think it's a much better song than "Vertigo," but probably not as good a single.

This "let's release two singles at once!" crap needs to stop too, since the band can only properly promote one at a time, and right now, they're promoting "Sometimes." Plus, it sticks us with lousy B-sides.

Last edited:
They just started playing All Because of You on the radio in Dallas-Fort Worth in the last two months. Man, the radio choices here are AWFUL. If it's not Linkin Park or Jimmy Eat World, don't expect to here any modern music.

I think all things considered both singles have done well. I don't know if All Because of You is dead in the water, but it did about what you would expect, right? Do people actually think U2 will havea #1 in America again? I don't think it will ever happen again, hasn't since 1987.

There just arent that many younger rock fans amped up about a band of 40 year olds, no matter how good it is. It's cultural, and that's what you get in America, our shitty culture. Look at the charts, look at the Nielsen ratings for TV, look at the box offices in movie sales, Americans have taste for shit.

I am speaking broadly of course, and there are many who understand this, and have known this for years, and as a result dismiss the success of singles as any gauge for how U2 are doing.

I think it's neat to see U2 have a radio hit, but it's also a little annoying. Basically to have a big hit, you are going to be overplayed and nauseated by mjost of those songs anyways. Great songs sent to the grave because of the machine that plays them over and over and over.

They don't even play All Because of You here, barely played Vertigo that much, but I live in hicksville.

I honestly believe a top #20-40 hit in America is probably more indicative of a good song, rather than a #1-20, just because of demographics, the music buying and listenign public, which is largely teenies. So if All Because of You is gobbled up by the album rock masses, it could be #1 on AOR and never crack the top 20, or even 40 of the billboard hot list or whatever.

But charts, especially for a band like U2, and American charts at that are to be taken lightly. I think album charts are more interesting, at least for the music I like, most people I know, and the bands we tend to like are album-oriented. Why would anyone pay for a $15-$20 disc because of one or two songs? Well, I don't. I do however buy the new disc from my favorite artists at face value. So I guess that would reveal my interest in the album charts if anything.

I've seen to many succesful, hugely succesful artists get the shaft from billboard, because it's simply antiquated.

Back
Top Bottom