Interference Interuption:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawk269 said:

I agree. While I do realize that it is not U2's responsibility to save the world, U2 can definitely make some noise on these issues that the mainstream media will hear.

At the same time, though, with Bono seeking bi-partisan support for debt relief and AIDS funding, I don't see how U2 could make a stand against platforms of one of the political parties without harming the chances for that party's support on Africa's health emergency. By that reasoning, the best solution would be to stick to the music.

Definitely not the ideal situation, in my opinion.

AJ

To clarify, I think U2 can and should bring up Africa on this tour. Clearly, it is the issue where media coverage is needed the most.

I was referring to "sticking to the music" concerning U.S. domestic issues where one political party could be alienated by a clear protest position. Because of the gravity of the situation in Africa, I think comments concerning, say, the Iraq War or the attempt to ban gay marriage, would do more harm than good. That's the political game, I suppose - you have to choose your battles, or you could end up with no changes in the status quo.

Not that I'm thrilled with this....I agree with PowerSurge that there are a whole lot of problems going on in the world right now that I'd like to hear the band's opinion on.

AJ

As much as the world tries to ignore it, the ongoing political and health problems in Africa are the most important and disasterous things happening in the world at the moment.....

Something must be done, and if u2 are the only ones with the guts to come out and talk about the African problem than we live in a very sad world where the natural morality of respecting your fellow humans is not a priority for the bodies with power in this world....

Forget Iraq, what about Sudan....much more of a pressing situation......

As a pretty well informed expert on the Rwanda genocide, i know that something like this cannot happen again.....it was hell on earth.......all surviving rwandans will tell you this...

And what about Aids, its getting worse by the day....

Anyway, im drifting off topic...

U2 DID bring up Africa during the Elevation tour with Bono mentioning the Jubilee 2000 movement and AIDS in Africa even then.:wink:

So there is no doubt that they will do the same thing during this tour.

While Bono must walk a fine line when he is in DC between the two political parties, he has never and probably will never give up his right and responsibility to state his opinions on social issues when he is outside DC. :up:

So, don't worry about Bono - I don't think that he will be silent on Africa's Future anytime soon!

And I thank God for that. :yes:

THIS IS THE TIME TO FINISH WHAT YOU'VE STARTED. THIS IS NO TIME TO DREAM....:hug: :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

intedomine said:
As much as the world tries to ignore it, the ongoing political and health problems in Africa are the most important and disasterous things happening in the world at the moment.....

As a pretty well informed expert on the Rwanda genocide, i know that something like this cannot happen again.....it was hell on earth.......all surviving rwandans will tell you this...

And what about Aids, its getting worse by the day....

:yes:

I'm not about to have to explain to potential future children why I was alive during this time and didn't do a damn thing while a whole country caved in on itself. This is not about geography. This is about doing the right thing.

Love can conquer hate. Darkness is merely the absence of light--let's bring that light back and let's have it burn. I believe that we don't have to just shrug and accept the world the way it is...I want to be a polemic against such a notion. U2 has always stood for the condition of the human soul...and I would be proud to stand with them. If it takes a band and their music to be the megaphone to help rouse a deaf world to it's own transgressions, then so be it.

BUT THE GREATEST OF THESE IS :heart:

U2Kitten said:

:eyebrow:

The writing style of the title and the initial post in this thread is oddly similar to that of a certain staff member, misspellings, lack of proper punctuation, two little dots and a space between two sentences which are also not capitalized.. sure looks familiar.. this person is also a poet.. :hmm: :eyebrow: :censored:

And there's no lemon as a message icon... :scratch: :huh: :crazy:

starsgoblue said:
Haha...listen the man recently was a passenger in a car driven by Bono. I'm sure Edge's nerves were shot and he just neglected to click on the little lemon icon....he's only human. :sexywink:

:lol:

Hawk269 said:

To clarify, I think U2 can and should bring up Africa on this tour. Clearly, it is the issue where media coverage is needed the most.

I was referring to "sticking to the music" concerning U.S. domestic issues where one political party could be alienated by a clear protest position. Because of the gravity of the situation in Africa, I think comments concerning, say, the Iraq War or the attempt to ban gay marriage, would do more harm than good. That's the political game, I suppose - you have to choose your battles, or you could end up with no changes in the status quo.

Not that I'm thrilled with this....I agree with PowerSurge that there are a whole lot of problems going on in the world right now that I'd like to hear the band's opinion on.

AJ

agreed.

hey, if you live in "Crooklyn" you can't be all that bad. I got alot of buddies there; crazy nightlife :wink:

The Edge said:
The band and I were discussing past tours and ideas we had used. We came to talking about ZooTV and I thought a song we used in the pre-set has become more.. if not... at least as relevant now as it was at the time. This is probably for those with long memories or who are just getting on....:wink:
In this century it can probably be applied to the personal computer and I am as guilty as the next.....

Myself and several other Interferencer's had the opportunity to sit in on a Q&A with BP Fallon this afternoon and strangely enough, he brought up this song and mentioned its relevance in today's world, almost word for word with this post as a matter of fact. (well, minus the band discussing tour ideas)

Interesting man, BP.

Re: Re: Interference Interuption:

Bono's American Wife said:

Myself and several other Interferencer's had the opportunity to sit in on a Q&A with BP Fallon this afternoon and strangely enough, he brought up this song and mentioned its relevance in today's world, almost word for word with this post as a matter of fact. (well, minus the band discussing tour ideas)

Interesting man, BP.

:ohmy:

Re: Re: Interference Interuption:

Bono's American Wife said:

Interesting man, BP.

:ohmy:

How weird is that? Well, maybe not so much...

But why?

Re: im a staff member. i dont capitalize and i rarely engage in punctuation.

kobayashi said:

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
The writing style of the title and the initial post in this thread is oddly similar to that of a certain staff member, misspellings, lack of proper punctuation, two little dots and a space between two sentences which are also not capitalized.. sure looks familiar.. this person is also a poet..

do you really think the Edge is a staff member now?
that would be so cool!
Yes, this has eventually crossed my mind….:eyebrow:

yes great memories to the ZOO TV era. what a great time that was.
did anyone notice that the track 'WINTER OF THE LONG HOT SUMMER' of the album Hypocrisy Is the Greatest Luxury must have been a major influence on U2s MIAMI. the same sort of drum loop and in general a similar mood of the song.

U2DeathBear said:
some words by Gil Scott Heron:

You will not be able to stay home, brother.
You will not be able to plug in, turn on and cop out.
You will not be able to lose yourself on skag and skip,
Skip out for beer during commercials,
Because the revolution will not be televised.

The revolution will not be televised.
The revolution will not be brought to you by Xerox
In 4 parts without commercial interruptions.
The revolution will not show you pictures of Nixon
blowing a bugle and leading a charge by John
Mitchell, General Abrams and Spiro Agnew to eat
hog maws confiscated from a Harlem sanctuary.

The revolution will not be brought to you by the
Schaefer Award Theatre and will not star Natalie
Woods and Steve McQueen or Bullwinkle and Julia.
The revolution will not give your mouth sex appeal.
The revolution will not get rid of the nubs.
The revolution will not make you look five pounds
thinner, because the revolution will not be televised, Brother.

There will be no pictures of you and Willie May
pushing that shopping cart down the block on the dead run,
or trying to slide that color television into a stolen ambulance.
NBC will not be able predict the winner at 8:32
or report from 29 districts.

There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
brothers in the instant replay.
There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
brothers in the instant replay.
There will be no pictures of Whitney Young being
run out of Harlem on a rail with a brand new process.
There will be no slow motion or still life of Roy
Wilkens strolling through Watts in a Red, Black and
Green liberation jumpsuit that he had been saving
For just the proper occasion.

Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Hooterville
Junction will no longer be so damned relevant, and
women will not care if Dick finally gets down with
Jane on Search for Tomorrow because Black people
will be in the street looking for a brighter day.

There will be no highlights on the eleven o'clock
news and no pictures of hairy armed women
liberationists and Jackie Onassis blowing her nose.
The theme song will not be written by Jim Webb,
Francis Scott Key, nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom
Jones, Johnny Cash, Englebert Humperdink, or the Rare Earth.

The revolution will not be right back after a message
bbout a white tornado, white lightning, or white people.
You will not have to worry about a dove in your
bedroom, a tiger in your tank, or the giant in your toilet bowl.
The revolution will not go better with Coke.
The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath.
The revolution will put you in the driver's seat.

The revolution will not be televised, will not be televised,
will not be televised, will not be televised.
The revolution will be no re-run brothers;
The revolution will be live.

Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom