In A Little While is growing on me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think every song Bono writes needs to be an anthem or something preachy. Great guitar riff and great song :up:

Great song, even the Hanson version of it is good, I will even admit that.

Axver said:

See, it's the raspiness that ruins the song for me. Bad singing =/= character.

Its the blues, its gospel, its soul, its rhythm. Its atmosphere, its mood, its passion, its tradition.

Axver said:

OK, that's a good line, but the entire "that girl, that girl" through to "my how you've grown" part are some of the worst lines on a U2 album ever. The first few lines are pretty weak and uninspired too.

That section of the lyric refers to Ali. Bono has said the reason for the baby stroller metaphor is that when he first started dating her in school the other kids called him a baby stealer because she was a year younger.

I don't see anything wrong with the lyrics considering that the song is about a guy crawling home after a night out on the town drinking himself into a stupor. Most people don't do profound in the midst of a hangover so to me the lyric works just fine. And the reason Bono sounds like he does is because it was recorded early in the morning after an all nighter and he was hungover and his voice was destroyed by drink and smoke and that is what they wanted. It fits the mood of the song perfectly. I appreciate vocally perfect performances as much as the next person but vocal imperfections can in a lot of cases make a performance especially something like this. A perfect vocal on a song about a hangover just doesn't work as well as this fabulously lived in vocal. The destroyed voice is what makes this song. In the live performances I've heard the song is always better the worse Bono's voice is.

I've noticed that particularly with Bono the nights that his voice is off tend to be his most powerful performances possibly because he literally throws himself into it to make up for the lack in his voice. I actually prefer those to the nights when his voice is spot on.

Dana

J_NP said:

Did u ever hear it live ? Got the boston dvd ?

Yeah, it's a touch better but Bono's Elevation Tour vocals underwhelm me and it's still plagued by those lyrics. It was due to the Boston DVD that the "rocketship" verse caught my attention as worthwhile, though.

This is one of my favorite U2 songs. So relaxing, smooth, and groovy all at the same time.

Canadiens1160 said:
I don't think every song Bono writes needs to be an anthem or something preachy. Great guitar riff and great song :up:

yep, and it doesnt sound like anything u2 normally does. it has a very special flavour. i was in love with it instantly.

JCOSTER said:
I really like this song and like for the reason it was written. It was written for Ali after Bono came home a little :drunk: and then when it was song for J. Ramone it took on a different meaning.

I like the original reason though. :giggle:

My favority part:

In a little while I won't be blown by every breeze
Friday night running to Sunday on my knees
That girl, that girl, she's mine
Well I've known her since
Since she was a little girl with Spanish eyes
When I saw her in a pram they pushed her by
My how you've grown
Well, it's been, it's been a little while

My favorite part too. One of my favorite songs.

I love it so much that it was my wedding song.:)

This whole thing of little girl ........... How u've grown and all , it's pretty interesting for me , it's a kinda new view in my ears , coz U see I'm now dating a girl , and I'm 6'3'' and she's 5'1'' , Gotta tell ya it's somethin quite unique

I listened to ATYCLB last night on my earphones very intensly and I enjoy this album so much, most of the songs get me so excited, and I think In a little While must be one of my all time favorites. So simple and raw, and I just LOVE Bono's voice on it, the raspiness is totally fitting the song. It's sexy and it's beautiful at the same time. I wish U2 would make something like this again for the new album. Something basic and accoustic. Great song. :up:

i've also heard people mention "In a Little While" as the national procrastinators anthem :lol:

I like IALW. I know it's not a great song and there's much better songs on the album. But it is one of my favourites from ATYCLB. It's just so sweet... and I love the melody.

I love IALW. I love the guitar riff, the raspy vocal and the way it sounds quite spontaneous. I can imagine them jamming this quite late at night with a few drinks about, enjoying making music. Alright the lyrics aren't up to much but frankly, if a melody is as excellent as this is, then lyrics really don't mean a thing to me.

Also it's one of those songs that my mates who hate U2 actually like (those kind of mates who have listened to about 1% of U2's songs, probably just the singles from beautiful day onwards, and judge them just by that :madspit: )

I have a blog named after a lyric in Elvis Presley and America.

It's called "mumblebargleabongolese".

I know the proper name of that smiley is "huh," but to me it's more of a WTF smiley.

I find it so very useful sometimes.

Anyway, topic. I do love this song. I sang it at karaoke a few weeks ago for the first time and found it to be a lovely little thing to sing. Yay!

corianderstem said:
I have a blog named after a lyric in Elvis Presley and America.

It's called "mumblebargleabongolese".

I think I'll rename my blog after a lyric in Bass Trap! :happy:

The song is refreshing precisely because it sounds like a drunk man on his way back home rather than a Messianic Circle Jerker.

The Circle Jerk thing works (sometimes) but you've gotta change it up here and there.

jonnytakeawalk said:

I simply adore this song. Did Bono actually have a hangover when he was singing this??

Yep. From U2 By U2:

"Edge: Bono had been up till six in the morning, got two hours sleep, came into work, got on the mike and just hit this incredible improvised lyric and melody.

Adam: It is sung in a broken voice. And believe me, Bono was broken that day.

Bono: I may have misjudged my allocation of units the night before."

Back
Top Bottom