How to rediscover the atomic bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogi

The Fly
I am sure this has been talked about before, so forgive me if this is re-hashing the same old shit.
Currently (maybe the grammy thing and seeing them live in Brazil did this) I have had a complete rediscovery of The Bomb.
Honestly, I loved it at first, then started hating it with a passion.
But I decided to give it one more try and bada bing, bada boom, it hit me.
Why did I hate this album so much? Maybe it was because I compared it to the AB, JT and UF, which in my opinion now, is quite unfair. When this album is judged on its on merit, it stands alone as a collection of really strong songs.
Yes, I think it suffers from being totally coherent, but I do think the songs are well crafted as pop/rock songs.
But what really hit me the most, was the honest emotion of this album. It just "is" and that is all. Maybe that is the art of it.
The only songs that just don´t do it for me are MAAW and Yawheh. Actually, I do love One step Closer even though it goes through a lashing on this site.
Yada, yada yada, anyway, I was wondering if anyone else went through the same roller coster ride of this album as I have.
Also, I am a fanatical fan of their 90´s work and would love to see them blow their creative juices all over the music world again!!
Just had to get that off my chest. I feel better now:wink:

Personally, I haven't and don't reeally see myself losing my interest in Bomb. I don't think fans or critics should judge the albums from all of their decades, instead the 80's albums are compared to 80's albums and so on. Comparing Bomb to Achtung Baby and War isn't entirely fair.

When I hear the newest U2 album, I don't judge it by how it stands up against other albums. I just judge the songs. And these songs don't seem like products of raw honest emotion to me. But I'm sure you all know my opinions on this matter.

i dont need to rediscover the bomb, i am listening to it as i found this thread. :wink:

fast cars :drool:

great album

I listen to it once a week.

U2's 3rd best album.

The songs are great and beg for repeated listens.

MD, LAPOE, COBL, ABOY, CFYT, OOTS are U2 at the top of their game.

While I agree about it being coherent, well-crafted and full of honest emotion, it's still not doing it for me after I've tried to rediscover it several times.

Some good songs on it to be sure, but overall it just doesn't caputure my imagination as other albums have. MD is a formula song, building up to the crescendo where Bono sings "freedom..." oh you know the rest. I never thought I'd live to see the day when a U2 song would cause the immediate eject reaction when channel surfing FM stations but SYCMIOYO is that song.

I could go on but I don't want to take a big dump on a otherwise positive thread. Sorry, someone was bound to and I'm sure someone will chime in with worse. I will say though that after catching the OOS video, it really is a better song than I initially gave it credit for. Although I'm still not crazy about the chorus (rhyming "you want" with "you want") the verse shows that bono still can write quality lyrics.

Maybe next time, and hopefully the boys will get a little more credit for their efforts. :wink:

I don't agree with the statement that the songs are not from honest emotion. The thing about the songs here are that they are so personal that it is harder to read the emotion and interpret it. The emotion is not as universal as many of U2's other songs. The emotions are much more specific.

I still listen to the Bomb album. Top 4 in U2 albums for me. HTDAAB has one of the best 2nd half of any U2 album.

Starting w/

ABOY
AMAW
CFYT
OSC
OOTS :drool:
YAW.

Such diverse and interesting songs.

I've been giving the Bomb a second go-round recently.

The only song that gained anything upon rediscovery, for me, was All Because Of You. That song rocks, has a real energy. I don't know why I did not warm to it at first - I guess I felt they could have gone further with it, perhaps a more ripping guitar solo. Expectations might have been tainted by all the talk of an homage to The Who, whose power cannot be duplicated by even the mighty U2.

Miracle Drug: Bono's vocals grate on me even more after being away from it. The baby's head. LOOooOOoLOOve. It's a skipper.

The melodrama of Sometimes is insufferable. Gets worse over time. One of Edge's weakest ballads too.

AMAAW is horrid. Worst U2 song ever. Check that - its not a U2 song.

The ones I liked at first - OOTS, Crumbs, Vertigo, Yahweh - still stand.

It remains a mixed bag, an enigma for me, embodying the sphinx-like weirdness of Larry Mullen's expression on the cover. I just don't know where to place it. The final verdict has not been rendered for lack of the natural passage of time...

When I first listened to the album it sounded rather odd
to me for some reason. And I thought it wasn't a very classic sounding album like their other albums. Now I realize the album is actually very classic sounding with many great songs. Now When I listen to SYCMIOYO I think wow, What a song and what a album!

MumblingBono said:
I've been giving the Bomb a second go-round recently.

The only song that gained anything upon rediscovery, for me, was All Because Of You. That song rocks, has a real energy. I don't know why I did not warm to it at first - I guess I felt they could have gone further with it, perhaps a more ripping guitar solo. Expectations might have been tainted by all the talk of an homage to The Who, whose power cannot be duplicated by even the mighty U2.

Miracle Drug: Bono's vocals grate on me even more after being away from it. The baby's head. LOOooOOoLOOve. It's a skipper.

The melodrama of Sometimes is insufferable. Gets worse over time. One of Edge's weakest ballads too.

AMAAW is horrid. Worst U2 song ever. Check that - its not a U2 song.

The ones I liked at first - OOTS, Crumbs, Vertigo, Yahweh - still stand.

It remains a mixed bag, an enigma for me, embodying the sphinx-like weirdness of Larry Mullen's expression on the cover. I just don't know where to place it. The final verdict has not been rendered for lack of the natural passage of time...

:up:

"The melodrama of Sometimes is insufferable."

What the hell is wrong with you?! Seriously the song is
amazing! :mad:

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. Crumbs From Your Table
4. Love And Peace Or Else
5. Original Of The Species
6. City Of Blinding Lights
7. One Step Closer
8. Miracle Drug
9. A Man And A Woman
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Yahweh

Play them in that order

I've been having the same problem as this thread starter.

When the album came out, I loved all the songs. The last few months, I only really love a few songs.

Oddly enough, A Man & A Woman is one of the ones i love. It definitely doesn't fit on this album, but it'll be a soundtrack to some movie someday. And become real popular. You heard it here first.

So I've listened to the album again and like most of the songs. But there is still something missing. I'm just not as passionate about them for some reason.

My only explanation is that I'm u2ed out. I need to take a break from them for a while. Because I still love their music.

Layton said:

Not necessarily!!!

Uh, yes it is. I enjoy listening to classical music. Some people don't. Why? Musical taste is subjective. I don't enjoy listening to HTDAAB. Some people do. why? Musical taste is subjective. You can't turn around and tell someone there's something wrong with their taste, because it's down to personal preference. Lighthearted teasing is fine, but it's silly to try to convince people that they should like something when it really doesn't appeal to them.

GibsonGirl said:

Uh, yes it is. I enjoy listening to classical music. Some people don't. Why? Musical taste is subjective. I don't enjoy listening to HTDAAB. Some people do. why? Musical taste is subjective. You can't turn around and tell someone there's something wrong with their taste, because it's down to personal preference. Lighthearted teasing is fine, but it's silly to try to convince people that they should like something when it really doesn't appeal to them.

:up:

The Bomb, is a magnificent album, packed with great songs.

The Great 3d masterpiece in the U2 catalog.

Agree heartily with Mr. Brau.

Do you have different ears ? , Congratulations, simply the album don't talk to you, you don't need to rip it.

Some people may say that what I'm gonna say now is some kind of blasfemy or any bullshit like this , but to me HTDAAB is u2s best album .

Here's why . Achtung or Joshua Tree would be normally the choice of most of people , even some clam ATYCLB as the best , in my eyes look why Bomb beats them .

1-JT : It has undoubtely u2's best singles ever , only the trio Streets , WOWY and I still is worth the buy , besides there are some other unique gems like Bullet or One Tree Hill , great songs , songs that work very well live , but the thing is I think the mood of it . I'm not a big fan of this kind of 'sad' or 'meditating' mood . I'm not saying that is the album but like u go on listenin great beginning , but in the end kind of the album loses power , while Exit has a great 1st half , I'm not fan of the another and Mothers well it's beautiful and all , but again I'm not either a fan with these slow again moody endings.

2-AB : Most of people see it as u2s best album , and is very fair , there was no album before with so many great songs , and really great songs live , the rest talk about One , M Ways , End of the world is needless , the thing about is that doesn't make it my number one is again the mood , too much angst sometimes . While in songs like One it works perfectly , in songs like So cruel it gets a bit boring and all , without talkin again the end that is again not the best , LIB is a great song , but I dont like it to end with that mood.

3-ATYCLB : It was actually the album I discovered u2 like many persons , it's similar with JT , has really great singles , when u play until track 6 , is just awesome , if the another half was like , it would be their best album , but it kind of loses power , Wild Honey is good song , and also WILATW but , theres Peace on earth that I kind of , it didnt grow on me , and neither NY , and theres again not my favorite ending Grace , a song I never understood why was there in the 1st place .

So comes Bomb , I think the really great thing of it besides its great songs , is kind of it repairs old mistakes , or attacks the weak points of these albums. The track listing is well balanced , it doesn't lose power after its 1st half , not it saves some great surprises to the end like the one I agree its the best song of it OOTS , theres also Crumbs , Fast Cars . You see it's like AB a great collection of songs , songs so great live , like JT and ATYCLB have great singles and perhaps the best of it , it doesnt have a 'moody' ending . Wheter it ends with Yahweh or Fast Cars , it ends with hope with joyful songs , songs with uptempo , not the slow ones that normally are played only by Bono and Edge . And also I can see it as a kind of Best of , coz it has so many great and different songs , like COBL , ABOY , Love and Peace , Original , I gotta confess I do love this album , couldn't be happier when it won the Grammy for best album.

J_NP said:
Some people may say that what I'm gonna say now is some kind of blasfemy or any bullshit like this , but to me HTDAAB is u2s best album .

Here's why . Achtung or Joshua Tree would be normally the choice of most of people , even some clam ATYCLB as the best , in my eyes look why Bomb beats them .

1-JT : It has undoubtely u2's best singles ever , only the trio Streets , WOWY and I still is worth the buy , besides there are some other unique gems like Bullet or One Tree Hill , great songs , songs that work very well live , but the thing is I think the mood of it . I'm not a big fan of this kind of 'sad' or 'meditating' mood . I'm not saying that is the album but like u go on listenin great beginning , but in the end kind of the album loses power , while Exit has a great 1st half , I'm not fan of the another and Mothers well it's beautiful and all , but again I'm not either a fan with these slow again moody endings.

2-AB : Most of people see it as u2s best album , and is very fair , there was no album before with so many great songs , and really great songs live , the rest talk about One , M Ways , End of the world is needless , the thing about is that doesn't make it my number one is again the mood , too much angst sometimes . While in songs like One it works perfectly , in songs like So cruel it gets a bit boring and all , without talkin again the end that is again not the best , LIB is a great song , but I dont like it to end with that mood.

3-ATYCLB : It was actually the album I discovered u2 like many persons , it's similar with JT , has really great singles , when u play until track 6 , is just awesome , if the another half was like , it would be their best album , but it kind of loses power , Wild Honey is good song , and also WILATW but , theres Peace on earth that I kind of , it didnt grow on me , and neither NY , and theres again not my favorite ending Grace , a song I never understood why was there in the 1st place .

So comes Bomb , I think the really great thing of it besides its great songs , is kind of it repairs old mistakes , or attacks the weak points of these albums. The track listing is well balanced , it doesn't lose power after its 1st half , not it saves some great surprises to the end like the one I agree its the best song of it OOTS , theres also Crumbs , Fast Cars . You see it's like AB a great collection of songs , songs so great live , like JT and ATYCLB have great singles and perhaps the best of it , it doesnt have a 'moody' ending . Wheter it ends with Yahweh or Fast Cars , it ends with hope with joyful songs , songs with uptempo , not the slow ones that normally are played only by Bono and Edge . And also I can see it as a kind of Best of , coz it has so many great and different songs , like COBL , ABOY , Love and Peace , Original , I gotta confess I do love this album , couldn't be happier when it won the Grammy for best album.

I agree with a lot of what you say, including that it's their best album.

Yes, musical tastes are COMPLETELY subjective. People love U2 for completely different songs. Sure, there's some overlap, but the diversity of why people love them is an attestment to their popularity.

I love the other albums, also, and I have played out HTDAAB (which is why I'm taking a break for the most part these days), but I did put it on again the other day, and it sounded very fresh.

But lately, I'm addicted to my second favorite band -- Tegan & Sara. :applaud:

GibsonGirl said:

Blah, that's too obvious of a position. Face it, some opinions/tastes are better/more objective than others. That's why experts exist.

There's such a thing as a subjectitity to objectivity ratio. You can't tell me all people have the exact same ratio. So, clearly some people have more objectivity to their tastes than others.

Layton said:

Blah, that's too obvious of a position. Face it, some opinions/tastes are better/more objective than others. That's why experts exist.

There's such a thing as a subjectitity to objectivity ratio. You can't tell me all people have the exact same ratio. So, clearly some people have more objectivity to their tastes than others.

Wow. Your response has got to be a joke. I sincerely hope that you are very young and have a lot to learn about...a lot. If not, this is very scary.

Mark Freedman said:

Wow. Your response has got to be a joke. I sincerely hope that you are very young and have a lot to learn about...a lot. If not, this is very scary.

Come on, we're U2 fans, not Harry Potter fans. We can do better. Only people who don't like to debate are the ones who cloak themselves with the protection of the 'all things are subjective' argument.

It is possible to convince people that their tastes and opinions are unevolved in the sense that their approach to their conclusions is not relatively objective. If we all drowned in our personal subjective worlds, growth and evolution wouldn't exist. Then we'd all be called G.W. Bush. Damn, that was highly inappropriate. Sorry---lol.

Layton said:

Come on, we're U2 fans, not Harry Potter fans. We can do better. Only people who don't like to debate are the ones who cloak themselves with the protection of the 'all things are subjective' argument.

It is possible to convince people that their tastes and opinions are unevolved in the sense that their approach to their conclusions is not relatively objective. If we all drowned in our personal subjective worlds, growth and evolution wouldn't exist. Then we'd all be called G.W. Bush. Damn, that was highly inappropriate. Sorry---lol.

I'm talking about musical tastes here. Tastes are subjective. Period. There is nothing to debate, except for the argument of whether or not tastes are objective or subjective. And there is no way in hell I'm going to waste any more time debating that.

Debating whether one song is better than another is a waste of time, quite simply because you can't debate subjective opinions. You can only discuss why you like or dislike a song. Trying to convince someone that your opinion is better than their opinion is just egotistic ignorance, and arrogant as all hell. It's an opinion, that's all. There is no right or wrong. There is no analyzing of "facts" involved. Therefore, no "approach to conclusions" exists. This is not a trial.

Man, why am I getting involved in such a debate? I normally avoid these like the plague. Sorry if I said anything that offended you. You just touched a very exposed nerve right now.

It's certainly not top-notch work for U2,
but HTDAAB is one of if not their most sonically satisfying albums. By the time you
get to the end of Yahweh, it's like you've
just eaten a huge Thanksgiving dinner.

EDIT: and LOL @ this thread turning into a knifefight
Richard_pwned_medium.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom