How many U2 albums do you feel are truly "complete"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just like how hilariously different everyone's so called fixes are! If the band ever listened to their fans, they would be tearing their hair out.

Funny, I was just thinking that for those of us who've given the topic some thought and actually gone through the band's discography album-by-album, much of what we've said is stunningly similar to each other and there's a lot of common ground.

Why doesn't someone come up with a thread that discusses something positive about U2? Now there's an original concept.

Just from the first two pages:

http://forum.interference.com/f189/best-performance-rattle-hum-movie-188069.html
http://forum.interference.com/f189/red-hill-mining-town-appreciation-thread-187513.html
http://forum.interference.com/f189/stranger-strange-land-appreciation-188021.html
http://forum.interference.com/f189/unpopular-u2-songs-you-like-187647.html

And how is discussing what you dislike about something horseshit? At least this thread asks folks to use their heads instead of saying they hate something without giving the reasons for it, unlike many other so-called "negative" threads.

Look, another chance to say negative shit about U2. How original? NOT!

I wish I had the time to sit around thinking about all those "incomplete" U2 albums.

If it ain't broke, leave it the fuck alone!

Why doesn't someone come up with a thread that discusses something positive about U2? Now there's an original concept.

I know its much more fun for most of you to come up with horseshit like name your least favorite U2 song from every album.

You're an idiot.

I just like how hilariously different everyone's so called fixes are! If the band ever listened to their fans, they would be tearing their hair out.

I think most people would prefer some changes like putting some of the B-sides on Unforgettable Fire, putting TGBHF on ATYCLB, etc. :shrug:

Funny, I was just thinking that for those of us who've given the topic some thought and actually gone through the band's discography album-by-album, much of what we've said is stunningly similar to each other and there's a lot of common ground.

You actually found people who agreed with you on One, Ultraviolet and In A Little While??? :faint:

:wink:

I think most people would prefer some changes like putting some of the B-sides on Unforgettable Fire, putting TGBHF on ATYCLB, etc. :shrug:

Yeah I guess. It still seems like U2 fans have the most polar opposite opinions on fav songs and albums. I wonder if it's this far away from a consensus for other bands. I don't post on any other message boards so I don't know.

My apologies. I didn't really see much way to address it, so I chose the NSW route. My bad.

I suppose to the proper response would be, "I disagree with everything you just said, and I think you're massively overreacting."

Here are my fixes...

Boy

More breaking of bottles sounds.

October

Less Adam fro.

War

What is up with that inside picture of Bono, Adam, and Edge... and then this random insert of Larry? Was he hungover the day they did photos?

The Unforgettable Fire

They really should have placed the extended remix of 4th of July on the album instead of what we got...

The Joshua Tree

More cowbell!!!

Rattle And Hum

They should have let the dude who sang Freedom for My People do more vocals...

Achtung Baby

They should have kept the original cover idea of Adam naked...

Zooropa

More alarm throughout...

Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1

Some of the passengers they should have kicked off the train.

Pop

They should have finished it.

All That You Can't Leave Behind

More mole references...

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

They never told us how :shrug:

Look, another chance to say negative shit about U2. How original? NOT!

I wish I had the time to sit around thinking about all those "incomplete" U2 albums.

If it ain't broke, leave it the fuck alone!

I know its much more fun for most of you to come up with horseshit like name your least favorite U2 song from every album.

You got me. I hate U2, a lot. I hate them so much I don't agree with everything they do. There's a difference between constructive criticism and flat-out hatin', and I'm pretty sure this thread is the former.

I wouldn't be so sure...Shaun Vox posted in here, after all.

I stand corrected.

BTW it was a good thread idea, I just didn't have the energy to type a long thought out post. And by the time I got to the last page things were a little heated so I thought I'd try and lighten things up.

But I really have always been curious about that ridiculous War photo.

Just from the first two pages:

http://forum.interference.com/f189/best-performance-rattle-hum-movie-188069.html
http://forum.interference.com/f189/red-hill-mining-town-appreciation-thread-187513.html
http://forum.interference.com/f189/stranger-strange-land-appreciation-188021.html
http://forum.interference.com/f189/unpopular-u2-songs-you-like-187647.html

And how is discussing what you dislike about something horseshit? At least this thread asks folks to use their heads instead of saying they hate something without giving the reasons for it, unlike many other so-called "negative" threads.

Hey, I'm glad there's some positive threads here, but it seems like people spend a lot of time putting together lists of stuff that they disliked or would have changed about U2. I've got no problem with criticism of the band or their music, but these threads always seem to get real nasty real quick. I guess once again, I'm hatin' on the haters, but I'm not the type of person who's going to write a 20 minute dissertation on why How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was mediorce at best.

I agree, it seems that all in all people make the same recommendations

I also don't think this thread is a really negative thread
people go through quite a bit of trouble here to put down their thoughts
it's more the numerous knee-jerk snarky remarks that annoy me
people who can't help themself but to blast everything U2 has done past 1999
even in threads about 14th century classical composers

I have the same problem as jphelmet though
even when I add b-sides that I think are better songs
after a while I really am not satisfied with it either
I don't know what it is

Okay I'll play cos I'm bored...

Boy - is pretty much perfect. I even like the Ocean! Maybe I would add 11OCTT and drop Out Of Control to make it a stand alone single.

October - is also almost perfect. I don't think I would change anything except maybe switch Scarlet and Is That All. But I would not drop Is That All. It rocks!

War - is pretty kickass! I guess Two Hearts is one of the weaker tracks so I might replace that one with Celebration. But otherwise it's pretty damn near perfect.

UF - Ah there's a few problems here. Drop the pointless 4th of July, add Love Comes Tumbling and maybe Bass Trap. Change the sequence up a bit, I guess more like Axver's version. :wink:

JT - Perfect including Trip! Spanish Eyes sounds too B-sidey to be included.

R&H - I guess they tried to do it like a movie soundtrack. Meh I really don't have too many issues with the haphazard arrangement of studio and live tracks. Does everything have to be perfectly separated? That said, a tight collection of those excellent studio tracks indeed sounds good! I'm torn.

AB - Perfect! Greatest album of all-time. So what if the guitar is muddy? The sound suits the early 90s very well!

Zooropa - Damn near perfect! Maybe I would have improved the album versions of First Time and Dirty Day and made them more clear and less distant. But then again, not to the levels of HTDAAB bombast cos that is just dumb.

Passengers - It's perfect for what it set out to achieve! It may not be all finished or whatever but it's a soundtrack theme so it doesn't matter. And also it is the perfect album to chill out at night to or even have sex to!

Pop - I personally think it is very very close to being perfect. The only minor issues for me are the lack of solo on Please and the somewhat dated poor lyric intro to Playboy Mansion. Other than that I fucking love everything else about it!

ATYCLB - Okay, where do I start? Stuck after BD is too jarring. Push it to the middle of the album to end side A and make it acoustic. Or better yet use a combination like Jick did. :drool: Walk On (single) version is a million times better than the album one. Drop Wild Honey and include Ground Beneath or Stateless or even Levitate.

HTDAAB - Reduce the fucking volume!!! More subtlety please. Example: Yahweh alternate version is infinite times better. Vertigo could have benefited with some elements of Native Son like chorus and bridge. LAPOE needs a better title and lyrics. OOTS needs to sound more edgy and not so saccharine!

Conclusion: Truly perfect albums are Boy, Oct, War, JT, AB, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop! :up:

I'd hardly say this thread is anti-U2 in any way. It's a credit to U2 that their songs are flexible enough and that their b-sides/outtakes are brilliant enough to ignite debate and rethinking about alternative album tracklistings and structures.

What are people s'posed to do? Start a thread saying "I Fall Down is cracking!" and expect everyone to post in agreeance?

Indeed. The point of this topic was to discuss which albums feel "complete" as they are, not to critique all the albums (production, etc.). I tend to think that's not what the original poster had in mind.

Anyway, it's interesting to discuss preferences, etc. Regardless, I am extremely happy with U2's chosen output of the past 28 years. They are, in my opinion, the best studio band (never mind live) of the past three decades. But I can still criticize them!

I've heard the live versions, which are similar, just with less muddling. I much prefer them. I think it would have sounded very good in the studio, too, based on having heard a lot of albums and a lot of techniques, including many from U2. I don't think it's at all a reach.

like you i prefer the live versions, especially the AB songs. that to me is part of the beauty of u2 songs. the studio versions are imperfect/incomplete blueprints. they then take these on the road where we get the completed as they should sound versions.
crazy thinking? yes.:wave:
yes i think edge should have been higher in the mix on AB and Zooropa, but we know how that ended up.

I'm very critical of albums, and Achtung Baby is the only perfect album by any artist that I own.

achtung baby is perfect. nothing wrong with the Production.
10/10
I agree 100%. The production sounds fine to me. Achtung Baby is U2's best album, the songs are perfect. Production doesn't really bother me. The album was produced by Eno and Lanois, the two best in the business, any production errors are relatively minor and to judge an album by them is ridiculous.
Apart from AB, Joshua Tree, Boy, Unforgettable Fire and Passengers are perfect.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I want to say that I think no U2 album is complete, neither is any album by any other band. In art, things are never complete. There is dynamics and potential and a sense of openness about works of art that I love. There can never be "perfection", and I don't think it would be interesting either. The only U2 album that comes near completeness is Joshua Tree, at least that's my humble opinion.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I want to say that I think no U2 album is complete, neither is any album by any other band. In art, things are never complete. There is dynamics and potential and a sense of openness about works of art that I love. There can never be "perfection", and I don't think it would be interesting either. The only U2 album that comes near completeness is Joshua Tree, at least that's my humble opinion.

:up: I think the same way.... the only difference is that JT is really a complete album for me !:love:

I won;t go through every album, but it does seem everyone has the same problems with October. I love October, but it is probably their weakest. I think I love it because of the fact that it is imperfect, written on the mic.

Even if this would have been argued at the time, they should have rehashed old songs that they knew inside out, rather than writing new ones. I would have preferred October to go something like

Gloria
I Fall Down
I Threw A Brick
Saturday night (not Fire)
Rejoice
Street Mission
October
With A Shout
The Dream Is Over
False Prophet
The Fool
Is That All?

Might have pissed some older fans off that they were rehashing, but a much better album, easier to record in less time, and guarenteed crowd-pleasers

Back
Top Bottom