Greatest Moments In a U2 song??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"In a little while" : "and I've known her since she was....a little girl"
---> the "a little girl" part, where the music sets right into the next verse. I cant get enough of that song, I think it's a pearl.

"Mercy" : "I'm being born again and again and again"

" Ultraviolet-light my way" : the "there is a silence that comes to a house"-part.

:drool:
:bow:

stagman said:
When Bono yells out All I want is You near the end of the song...then Edge takes over and it's pure Bliss!

Oh, yeah!! This is one of my favorites!!! :drool: especially when I'm dancing to this song with my sweetie. he always seems to hold me closer during that part. :cute:

The William Orbit mix of Electrical Storm, when it just KICKS and Bono lets out that massive "HEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY!!!!" Ooh, baby. Yeah, baby.

When Zooropa kicks into the last part of the song and really takes off.

On the Zoo Europa bootleg (8/28/93, Dublin) version of Bad, when Bono goes for the first "I'm wide awake," his voice hits the transition to falsetto so perfectly, and it's the most perfect, beautiful thing he's ever done, vocally.

The intro to In God's Country.

In The Unforgettable Fire, the vocal line of "ever after/ this lovin' time and if you save your love" in the last verse. Gorgeous!

The "Out of Control" line that connects the middle part of the song into the final verse. Kicking in every live version I've ever heard. Yay!

Last edited:
the soul waits said:
" Ultraviolet-light my way" : the "there is a silence that comes to a house"-part.
That is one of my absolute favorite U2 lines.

First of all, Bad, just amazing overall
The opening riff to Zooropa
Bono falsetto in Numb :drool:
In OOTS "everywhere you go you shout it, you don't have to be shy about it"
And in Walk On the part where he sings "a singing bird in an open cage who will only fly, only fly , for freedom" I love that!

saxgoddess said:
I agree with all of you! I also love the "can you hear us coming love?" bit at the end of "One" in some live versions. :drool:

I love that too, although I always thought it was "Can you hear us coming Lord?"

- When The Fly kicks in at the start, followed later on by the solo that turns the whole song into that urgent chaos, where it sounds like the whole world is collapsing around him. I was 13/14 when Achtung was released and it was to me then what Nevermind was to millions of people a year later. The Fly was simply the fucking coolest thing I'd ever heard, and as I grew older and understood the song further and further it just got better and better. Of course I ran out and bought achtung as soon as it came out, and I was hooked and loved the ride of u2 through 91-98, right at their most exciting time.

- All of One, right from the opening, but particularly where it goes up a notch in urgency right at "You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl. And I can't be holding on, when all you've got is hope" then leads into the last chorus, where the first chorus was more a suggestion, this one is really pleading. One, to me, is simply the best song ever written by anyone ever. Even in The Beatles dreams they were never this good.

- Mysterious Ways - following Edge's guitar through to the solo, to the point where Bono sings the "one day you arrive, back on the scene...." line and the guitar becomes a lot more free flowing. You get the feeling that he's succumbed to the temptation and he's at ease with it. The "it's alright's" now sound like he believes it is, not like he's trying to convince himself. Your conscience is a pest after all...

- The opening of Acrobat. You know there's absolutely no way into this song but down....

- Until The End of the World - Have you ever noticed with pretty much all the songs on Achtung Baby (with a couple of exceptions) that with every one of them, the themes and stories are dark and awful - lust, betrayal etc - and the songs reflect them, are generally pretty chaotic and certainly dark, but at the mere mention of the word 'love' they all lift into something else, even if it's just in the short term. It's an acknowledgement that no matter how much awful baggage comes with it, and all the terrible things we do with it, love is a higher power above all. It's most striking in Until The End of the World, a song about the ultimate betrayal. Betraying someone you love, to send them to die. Yet the song still completely lifts out of it in the 'love, love, love' parts, only to quickly spiral straight back down again.

Honestly, I cannot for a second understand those who believe that either ATYCLB or HTDAAB are even in the same stratosphere as Achtung. But I'll leave that at that....

Last edited:
Um, every moment of the last three songs on Acthung :wink:

But to be more specific, during the ATYCLB promo show at Irving Plaza in NYC in 2000 during "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" when Bono just screams "call out, YOU BETTER CALLLLLLLLL OUT, call out my na-a-ame." Fucking awesome.

daygloeyes2 said:
Towards the end of City of Blinding Lights when Bono sings "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" over and over again.

Really? I Mean, it's good, but is it better than the intro to Streets?

Heck, it's not even one of the best moments on the new CD.

Not exactly the "greatest" U2 moment, but this section in Beautiful Day creates such awesome imagery in my mind:

"See the world in green and blue
See China right in front of you
See the canyons broken by cloud
See the tuna fleets clearing the sea out
See the Bedouin fires at night
See the oil fields at first light
And see the bird with a leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colors came out"

Instrumental:

The Edge's guitar in the Kite intro/chorus

Lyrical:

One day you will look...back
And you'll see...where
You were held...how
By this love...while
You could stand...there
You could move on this moment
Follow this feeling

-Mysterious Ways

All of these are so good.

I'll add:

1.) Running to Stand Still: When Bono sings "You've got to cry without weeping, talking without speaking, and scream without raising your voice, you know I took the poison....."

the way he sings that is classic.

hey, i'll play!

just read the whole thread to see if anyone's mentioned this, but how about the outro to dirty day "days, days, days run away like horses over the hills." great image, and great production the way it slowly fades in over larry's inspired drumming.

also i agree with the poster who said edge's guitar solo in love is blindness.

Earnie Shavers said:

I love that too, although I always thought it was "Can you hear us coming Lord?"

It could be...sometimes it sound like "love" to me, and sometimes it sounds like "lord", but I honestly don't know which it is. I guess "lord" would make more sense.

On the whistle test in 1987 when Bono is singing the line "the hands of love", he then does a brief couple of seconds of heavy breathing followed by a "owwwwwwwwww" he then grabs his acoustic and plays out to a finish with duel guitars with the Edge. About the only time I can think of that Bono's guitar playing actually adds anything to a live track and just a great passage of a tight band playing great music.

There are so many, the greatest is probably the solo in New years day.

Another is the "Baby, Baby, Baby" part of Ultraviolet when Edge's guitar kicks in. I don't care about what he sings, this part is great :madspit:

Axver said:
The greatest ever moment is actually the intro to Streets.

agreed

Streets - theres nothing like it in the world when it starts. if you put it on really loud and just listen to it build and build and build untill it explodes. It's a description i've used before but the intro to streets sounds like it came from heaven itself - if God's angels released a single it would start like Streets!

Back
Top Bottom