For those who saw it, what do you think of "Blooday Sunday" film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

Last night I saw this film on British TV, titled "Bloody Sunday".

I thought Id give a few thoughts about it to you...

The film, as you probably can guess, is about an infamous event in Northern Ireland. One day in 1972 (I was 4 at the time and living in Northern England), a Civil Rights March had taken place which was led by the area's member of Parliament, Ivan Cooper in an effort to get rid of Unionist domination and to get equal rights for all in Northern Ireland.

The march started peacefully but ended so tragically when 13 innocent people were shot dead and 14 wounded by the British Army.

The film tried to capture the hours leading up to the march itself, the chaos that ensued when the shooting started and the rather eerie silence when it was all over. Personally I thought it was well done but as often is pointed out, this film only gives us part of the whole truth about what went on that day in Derry.

While I knew what happened in snippets, the film I saw last night gave me some more background as to what happened. Now Im very angry about the whole thing and its equally horrifying to see how innocent people (both young and old) were shot dead so viciously (one of them shot at close range in the head).

So in a way I am glad that there is now an inquiry into Bloody Sunday currently under way (and has been since 2000 and not expected to finish till about 2004) to try and get down to the bottom of this tragic event. I pray that nothing but the whole truth would come out at the inquiry....and hope that this is never repeated ever again!

dougal

douggie, it stirred up a lot of controversy even before it was televised, and Im not gonna comment on it, as its not fair while english and irish are on this board...............thats just me..........I didnt see it all in entirety last night, but will this week..............keeping me mouth shut on this one.....
icon38.gif

Apparently it's going to be on again in a short while so I'm watching it then. If you don't want to comment feel free but I for one (being English) have no problem with anyone bad mouthing the English and the way they have handled things in the past. I would take no offense to any of it.

I haven't seen this but would love too. In NYC they are having Photo show on this. I have yet to go but i plan on checking it out this weekend.

I saw the programme too, and like dougal said, it doesn't have all the facts of what happened on the day, but if theres any truth in how the British army acted on the day then the inquiry is important to get this cleared up once and for all!The marchers all thought they were safe cos they knew the army would only be firing rubber bullets,little did they know that it was going to be live rounds...
I think this could turn out to be one of the British army darkest hour if the inquiry does not go in their favour.Thats my thoughts anyway!

Yeah sure look at the film In the Name of the Father, when I first saw it I was feckin well pissed off with the english and how they interogatted, I swear I was punchin the cushions with anger but that was when I was younger...........and mum said a lot of that film had twists and turns and was made up prob to get u hyped up while watching it, so Sunday Bloody isnt all fact either, there are always facts hidden...........just today in a newspaper was more news on the SBS case. so like..............it was shown to pple in Derry first before televised, the friends and family of victims who were killed, so it was a matter of them seeing how it came across first......and was very emotional for them, but pple of Derry are very diff to pple of Belfast................in fact this thread should be in Free Your Mind........
smile.gif

somehow u gotta be careful what u say on this whole Irish/English circle....................its like a really sharpe blade....................

Back
Top Bottom