Edge's Vertigo guitar playing is Overrated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tkramer said:
Jick,

Your credibility is starting to slip around here. (Or was it ever there?) Maybe I'm missing some of your other posts, but you NEVER seem to like what U2 is doing. I'm all for fair crit. but have you considered that you may just not like their music?

(Hey, I could be wrong.)

You are dead wrong! I like Vertigo a lot! Maybe I feel POP could be a little better, but otherwise U2 is a stellar band.

Cheers,

J

Well, I feel terribly bad to say this, but i understand a bit of jick's point of view.

Let's make it clear first, Edge is for me the most creative guitarist in the world (which to me is equal to say that he is the best), and I am sure that the new album will continue to prove that. I consider him a genius and will continue to, no matter what htdaab will bring.

And one of the reasons i think he is great, he's because he is not just another noisy rock guitarist full of power and speed solos, when he goes for noise and solos, he does it with that creative mark of his own (like the fly, btbs). It happens that in vertigo, while i understand that it's a good explosive rocking guitar, i also think that most of the song is more distant from the edge sign (and please don't ask me what is that) and closer to a common noisy rock guitarist. Exception is the instrumental part and the bridge (ahh those lovely bells ringing...).

Nevertheless, I also agree with Lo-Fi. Vertigo was made simply to be an explosive rock song to enjoy, and not necessarly to be the most innovative piece of sound from the decade. So it plays very well that role.

Edge (in case you see this). Don't need to waste your time defending yourself here. You are the best.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Jick you're always good for a laugh.

Although I find you're timing for the post very cowardly, why not while The Edge was still posting in here?

I'm from the Philippines so my timezone is different from the Edge's. So I don't really know if and when he actually does post here.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

You are dead wrong! I like Vertigo a lot! Maybe I feel POP could be a little better, but otherwise U2 is a stellar band.

Cheers,

J

Maybe people wouldn't make the assumption that you maybe don't like U2 so much if you posted ONE POSITIVE THREAD at least just once.
maybe.

U2_Neat said:
i think this guy just tried to look rellevant
and maybe get edge to read his post, nothing more.

i don't think he knows what he's talking about.
if he likes to call U2-punk a pseudo punk, that's his problem,
why give it more attention than it deserves?

The last thing I want is for The Edge to reply to this thread. And I'm sure Edge is not that cheap and defensive. Edge is a man of class.

To reply to a thread that discusses his guitar playing would be like being on the defensive, or it would look like interfering and meddling with the fans' right to discuss and theorize. I don't think Edge would ever do that. And he shouldn't, actually.

Cheers,

J

Even if Edge's guitar work is "nothing more than power chords", one has to remember that there is an elegance in simplicity. This isn't Eddie Van Halen. If that's what you want, there's tons of Van Halen music available. Edge is a master of effects and grandiose sounds. But it's his ability to know when to NOT add something that really makes a song better. For example, in "With or Without You", Edge could have just ripped off into a great solo near the end. But it was his simplicity that made the song elegant and implicity powerful. In concert, Edge expands upon that ending - as does Bono. But on the album, the song worked wonders as it was. I argue the same is true in "Vertigo". The song has a great hook with powerful guitar, but that same guitar doesn't overwhelm us. If Edge added more, it would actually take away from the song.

So Jick, sorry, but I cannot agree with your views here.

djerdap said:
That middle short solo is pretty innovative to me...
Don't bullshit. Have you even heard Miracle Drug or Love and Peace or Else solos? Now that's guitar innovation!

Where's your get a copy of those songs? I've only heard Vertigo so far but I did get to read somewhere the Miracle Drug lyrics (which lifted a bit from Lionel Richie, but I discussed that in another thread).

Cheers,

J

The problem with your post, is that the entire thing is a big steaming pile of Number Twos.

The best thing about the Edge is that his playing is always apropos for the song. Vertigo is no different.

No-one (except you) said every song had to contain an innovation. I guess FUN is a dirty word in your world.

bedouin fire said:
Well, I feel terribly bad to say this, but i understand a bit of jick's point of view.

Let's make it clear first, Edge is for me the most creative guitarist in the world (which to me is equal to say that he is the best), and I am sure that the new album will continue to prove that. I consider him a genius and will continue to, no matter what htdaab will bring.

And one of the reasons i think he is great, he's because he is not just another noisy rock guitarist full of power and speed solos, when he goes for noise and solos, he does it with that creative mark of his own (like the fly, btbs). It happens that in vertigo, while i understand that it's a good explosive rocking guitar, i also think that most of the song is more distant from the edge sign (and please don't ask me what is that) and closer to a common noisy rock guitarist. Exception is the instrumental part and the bridge (ahh those lovely bells ringing...).

Nevertheless, I also agree with Lo-Fi. Vertigo was made simply to be an explosive rock song to enjoy, and not necessarly to be the most innovative piece of sound from the decade. So it plays very well that role.

Edge (in case you see this). Don't need to waste your time defending yourself here. You are the best.

AMEN!

jick said:

The last thing I want is for The Edge to reply to this thread. And I'm sure Edge is not that cheap and defensive. Edge is a man of class.

To reply to a thread that discusses his guitar playing would be like being on the defensive, or it would look like interfering and meddling with the fans' right to discuss and theorize. I don't think Edge would ever do that. And he shouldn't, actually.

Cheers,

J

ok, i see you have been replying to lots of people, so you must care about this point of view of yours rather than just projecting it. I apologise for being so cruel to you.
Vertigo is bass-driven, i think you can realize that as a musician (not being sarcastic, don't let me be misunderstood). so, i guess that invalidates your original post...
cheers

u2ulysses said:
Even if Edge's guitar work is "nothing more than power chords", one has to remember that there is an elegance in simplicity. This isn't Eddie Van Halen. If that's what you want, there's tons of Van Halen music available. Edge is a master of effects and grandiose sounds. But it's his ability to know when to NOT add something that really makes a song better. For example, in "With or Without You", Edge could have just ripped off into a great solo near the end. But it was his simplicity that made the song elegant and implicity powerful. In concert, Edge expands upon that ending - as does Bono. But on the album, the song worked wonders as it was. I argue the same is true in "Vertigo". The song has a great hook with powerful guitar, but that same guitar doesn't overwhelm us. If Edge added more, it would actually take away from the song.

So Jick, sorry, but I cannot agree with your views here.

With Or Without You is a solid example of Edge's distinctive guitar playing that makes him the genius. If you take Vertigo in isolation without even knowing it was U2 ...just the song itself, you would never call the guitars genius. But if you take WOWY in isolation, and see the Edge play the guitar that way and pull it off instead of going to a Slash-like solo -- you are gonna say "wow! this is pure genius!"

Cheers,

J

Here's an idea: How about you proof read your post before you submit it and if it seems to reek of negativity, change it? That way you don't have to go back and run circles around yourself trying to clarify things...

jick said:

It's not technique from Edge I am after, it is innovation. No innovation in Vertigo. His signature technique is actually very lazy and economical but it creates an atmonsphere no other guitar player can provide. But his un-signature Vertigo technique is the opposite of lazy but it creates nothing. I never said I was begging for Slash-like guitar solos. Now that would be worse than anything else if Edge would be playing that.

Cheers,

J

as far as the power chord style, of course it isn't a new ground breaking guitar style, but it is an avenue that is new to The Edge, so in that sense, yes, the guitar is innovative.

I just wanna clarify to everyone ...NO, I am not asking the Edge to play like Slash or Eddie Van Halen. I am just saying that the Edge did not play like the Edge in Vertigo, he played like any ordinary guitar player. Hence, people who hail Vertigo's guitar virtuosity to the high heavens is overrating the Edge's performance.

NO, I am not saying Vertigo is a bad song.

NO, I am not saying Edge's guitar style in Vertigo was inappropriate.

The only thing I am saying is that it is OVERRATED.

Cheers,

J

Rock and Roll doesn't need to be complex..it's rooted int he blues, which is pretty damn basic..the great thing about u2 is that everyone just bashes the shit out as best they can, and the result is filled with energy. I've been learning guitar from a formal teacher and yes, the edge is not a technical wizard, but he is unique and the sounds he creates are innovative. I love the song. If you want technical guitar playing, then listen to Steve Vai or some similar cheeseball.

IMO vertigo reeks of edges guitar style.
sounds just like him which is about as good as it gets really

i know sweet FA about playing guitar having failed miserably when i attempted, so i generally don't pay much attention to the details involved.
the point is... does it sound good?
hell yeah! :D:

surely thats all that matters?!

Jick,

Why, for years in the U2 communities, have you never really had anything but negativity to offer?

I want an answer.

personally I prefer this explanation
U2dork said:
Here's an idea: How about you proof read your post before you submit it and if it seems to reek of negativity, change it? That way you don't have to go back and run circles around yourself trying to clarify things...
thread after thread

tkramer said:
Jick,

Your credibility is starting to slip around here. (Or was it ever there?) Maybe I'm missing some of your other posts, but you NEVER seem to like what U2 is doing. I'm all for fair crit. but have you considered that you may just not like their music?

(Hey, I could be wrong.)

Hey, Jick/J whatever he is calling himself these days is an instigator. Always has been. He likes to play devil's advocate on all things U2. He's really a huge fan, but he likes to take the dark and bring it into the light.

Nothing to see here, just move along and ignore this inane thread.

Chill. Jick think it's overrated and if you don't then say why you like it.

I like the guitar in Vertigo, it's direct. Simple, yes, but direct and powerful (i have never been a fan of complex guitarplay). I don't agree with it sounding like an avarage garageband guitarist work.

I still don't know what a power chord is... could anyone enlighten me please?

Last edited:
What if the guy doen't like Vertigo that much? Do we HAVE to like any piece of music U2 release?

I think Vertigo is pretty mediocre (but i do like a bit the bridge with that typical Edge's guitar and Bono's vocalization).

I reckon this song Vertigo wasn't meant to be innovatite or a reinvention of the wheels. Just a kick-azz song that would capture the attention of 15 years old (especially american kids who love those "powerchord bands" so much). It's Paul Mcguinnes who says it's more important to get new fans than to please the old fans. And i understand that...

In 1991 i was 16... That album AB and that first single The Fly were made to ppl like me... I remember the old fans at that time saying that AB and The Fly sucked! And i loved them! Still think it's up there with Revolver as the best record ever made.

Now with Vertigo released it's my turn to not be all pleased with the new single in contrast with my 15 years old cousin who thinks it rocks. Maybe this new record will be his AB... And maybe i'll act like those fans at my time who disliked AB...

As a long-time lurker in the U2 community, I can explain to you in one short sentence why Jick is always negative. At least, his first post is always negative. Then he'll spend the rest of the thread explaining sentences within his first post, backtrack, change the subject, etc.

Anyway, here's the one sentence:

Jick likes attention.

I like the fact he finally did do a power chord song. His style is great but a change from him is equally great. So what if he didn't reinvent the wheel.
The song rocks!

It takes me back to the days of the Unforgettable Fire when he went balistic with the song "WIRE" I wanted to haul ass down a street in my old mustang when I heard that song. Since then he hadn't done anything so fast and furious. Until Vertigo came along.

:hyper:

I like the tone of the riff and the riff in itself is catchy and fun. The solo was cool too. Not conventional and the song reminded me of the Who in bits which is cool.

But I agree with Jick in some points in that people make out the guitar parts as being super great but its not any different from what Edge has played. The bridge and the guitar that comes in around the 2nd verse (crimson nails, etc. are fairly typical Edge. People get pretty offended for some reason.

On a side note, what I find annoying is that there are bands that people on this board with a passion hate such as Blink 182, Green Day, Nickelback (sp), Third Eye Blind, etc... who have nice riffs or guitar parts that convey the same stuff as Edge and they get bashed to high heaven. Sure you may hate the melody or the lyrics by those other bands, but the music in some parts aren't awful. Yet at the same time I bet the same bashers fall at the feet of Vertigo.

Anyways, I look foward to the new U2 material and will keep listening to Vertigo and reflect on what Bono is talking about when he's talking about an ink sky and gold and such...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom