DOWNLOAD U2's New Single "ELECTRICAL STORM"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I love everything about this song! It is a great U2 song, with great hooks and a lot of emotion, which gets better every time I listen to it. It's extremely addicting. I think some people just over analyze everything to pieces. :coocoo: Just listen and enjoy!

Everyone sounds great, and if this is indicative of what's in store for future stuff from U2, we have NOTHING to worry about!

i think i got the lyrics

John said:
Well, here's my shot at the lyrics. The car alarm line is still up in the air though...

http://lyrics.interference.com/u2/

First of all I'd like to say that whoever came up with the "car alarm" must have really wished :no: this wasn't the right thing!

To me that line sounded clear from the first time:

"Come along, we'll wrench him back to sleep"

I might be wrong, but it's a big improvement over the "car alarm" thing. And if you really listen to it, it is a "come along" but it's kind of shouted out so it sounds a bit different, but's a sure "come along" to my ears. :coocoo:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that it puts them in mind of Walk On.

After the 20th+ listen, I love it more and more and more and more.

Once again, (a-la WILATW), Edge teases me with about 3 seconds of guitar, that I wish lasted about 4 hours. :D (the little bit just before the slidey solo part).

Yum yum!

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Mmmmmmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmm....

At the moment, to liddle old me it sounds like cross between an All That You Can't Leave Behind song and a PoP song.

Like Walk On combined with Gone.

But its late at night now, so it might sound like something different tomorrow.

And when is it gonna grow on me? Huh? When?

Hmmmm.....

My mouse has 5 buttons and a scroll wheel. Gawsh that makes Internet Browsing and Navigating through the operating system a zillion times faster.

Now where, were we, are yes, listening to songs.

Dum de dum dum dum...

I love it except for the last minute.

It seems like such a lazy ending - just two chords, and one of the Edge's weaker riffs repeated ad nauseum, with the lack-lustre lyrics "Baby don't cry." I love the first few seconds of the modulation, until the Edge starts playing that riff, and ruins it.

I absolutely adore the first 3.5 minutes of it - can't get enough, some of their best stuff since Please.

as much as i like this song, i hope its not the final version. the edge hasnt had a great guitar solo since the fly imo and i hope they build on the little solo or at least have something to show non-u2 fans why the edge is the best guitar player on the planet.

:yes: What a shock for a dull Sun. afternoon! I like it so far, but it usually takes about 10-20 listens before I really appreciate it. It has some solid guitar work and the lyrics are good for the most part, except the coffee reference sounds a little clunky! My feeling is that this was a demo version and the full version out next month will be more rich and polished and maybe even quite different!! Either way, this is fun, sort of like when Axtung Beibi outtakes came out. 8 out of 10 so far, but I want more searing guitar!!!

I like it I like it! It is and yet isnt what I expected. I absolutely love Bono's vocals on this song, the falsetto of the 90s, the bellowing howl of the 80s. It is the best he's sounded in a little while.

The music is kind of adult top 40/alternative lite pop, so that was surprising but I think it will do well and be played on stations like Star 98.7 over and over again.

I like it alot. I'm hung over so thats all I can say now...

Hawk269 said:
What drugs are you people smoking?

This is a great f'n U2 song. What the hell are you expecting? Achtung Baby II? The Joshua Tree revisited?

Let me tell you all something. This song sounds no more commercial than any song off of ATYCLB. Guess what - this is how the Edge plays guitar these days. This is how Bono sings now. This is how tight the band sounds in this era.

MichaelGriffiths - so sorry to disagree with your post, but a comparison of this to Nickelback is a joke. Are you trying to be funny? A Nickelback song is just a hard rocking tune that has a very finite life cycle. It is tailor made for K-ROCK radio. A song like E-Storm has an emotional power and poetic beauty to it that is distinctly U2.

I cannot believe how much disrespect I have seen on this forum for Electrical Storm. I have lost respect for a lot of you. It is not like U2 is coming out with some sh*t like the Rolling Stones after 20 years. They are still writing meaningful songs that only they can create. The people that I respect on this forum - SpanishEyes, NicaMom, & melon, are the ones who like the song (what a coincidence).

All you others need to stop thinking about U2 selling out and writing songs to be played on the radio. Time to get off of your high horses. Guess what - some songs are on the radio because they just plain f'n rock.

AJ
:coocoo:
Hawk269,

I'll attempt a serious discussion with you, point by point:

First, no, I don't smoke -- that goes for many things, including crack, heroine, exhaust pipes, chimneys, and not even cigarettes just to name a few.:)

Secondly, while I agree with you that the band sound tight (I did say that, after-all, in my first post) I must disagree that this song sounds no more commercial than anything off ATYCLB. I haven't heard any songs on the radio -- in, say, the last 30 years -- that even resemble anything off ATYCLB, and that includes 'Stuck' (and the only reason I mention 'Stuck' is due to the constant boy-band comparison).

Thirdly, while I admit that the Nickleback comparison was a bit of a convention, if not an exaggeration, I do think that this song, in sound and structure (chord progressions, etc), is quite similar to many of the rock songs you hear on radio today. You mention this song has poetic beauty that is distinctly U2. Of course it does! Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam created it. I never once said it didn't sound like it was U2. I simply stated that it sounds more like mainstream rock than any other U2 song ever has. End of story.

Now, if you have lost respect for me simply because I've stated my opinion as to how I hear this song -- in my own head -- well, that's too bad for you. For if that truly is the case, you and I could never have an open discussion regarding anything upon which we would disagree. That's a shame, isn't it?

I would also like to say, not once did I say this was a bad song. I suppose my expectations are very high with U2, as they've constantly put forth great, great material throghout the years. I got used to that. In the context of "U2 singles," this song is good, just not great, in my opinion, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

I suppose my last point here is, I did say this was my "INITIAL" response. I've had similar initial responses before with many songs that I've grown to quite like -- and sometimes, even love. Believe it or not, I didn't like 'One' when I first heard it. Now, it's my favourite U2 song (check my profile, if you like). Would you have lost respect for me then, too?

Last edited:
Just downloaded it and I think it rocks, The more I listen to it the better it sounds..

Bonos voice sounds fantastic..

:up: :up: :up:

Michael Griffiths, you're dead on.

Upon first hearing Electrical Storm, I couldn't believe that it was a U2 song. It sounded very safe, mainstream rock, quite bland actually. In fact it sounded, dare I say, Bon Joviesque. With the exception of Bono's trademark voice (which is in its finest form since Achtung), it bares only slight resemblance to U2 pre-ATYCLB. It does feel similiar to Walk On and Kite, which aren't my favorite U2 songs. Is U2 going the Aerosmith route?!

After several more listenings, I think its an okay song for U2. I really do miss the experimental side of U2 pre ATYCLB. Judging from this song, they are going in the opposite direction. This song doesn't deserve that much attention.

The one good aspect of this song, is, like everyone has said, Bono's voice. The high notes are powerful and clear and the juxtaposition with the falsetto is impressive. It's almost as if Bono is showing off.

Karl

awsome!

I love all of this song - especially the ending! U2 left off all the "jam sessions" on their last two records. This one has a nice 30 second jam.

The vocals are excellent! The bridges are exceptional! The chorus is weak. (the bridges make up for it !)

YAAAAAAAAY!

:laugh:

Mark
http://www.mp3.com/madelyniris

I agree that this song is very radio friendly and INITIALLY sounded quite generic. It as though U2 is now perfecting Adult Top 40 or Alternative Lite format. Since this is now the kind of music I listen to at my older age(than most of the average Forum people y'all seem to be in your early 20s), this change in U2's sound sits very well with me. I LOVE Electrical Storm and rate it a 10 but I admit that it has a commercial songy song feel - like a perfect song. Nothing too creative, just damned good music.

Whats wrong with a perfect song? And U2 will never be Aerosmith or the Rolling Stones - because they are U2 (and better than the STones or Aerosmith) and will always sound like U2 no matter what style of music they are playing and that is their redemption - they still have that U2ey feeling in the music they make even if it is alternative lite made for radio it still has that killer U2 sound!!!

No can do the download...guess i'll wait till i see the video and hear the song. And then i'll head to the store and listen to Hands... and decide.

I hate Mondays!

But on this day, I love it a lot! :yes:

I came into the office with a game plan of getting a lot of work done today. Well, that plan went out the window really fast when I nearly crapped myself at learning that Electrical Storm is out. I have listened to it about 4 times now and have read every comment here on it.

My initial reaction - Bono's vocals steal the show! I had not even finished the first listen when I came to the conclusion that this is the best vocal performance since North and South of the River. These vocals are better than anything off All That..., Pop, and possibly Zooropa. I do not say this easily. Especially when I hold All That... as my #3 favorite U2 album. No question about it. For a band that showcases each other's talents, this is a song that Bono's vocals are above everyone else's talents. I am not insinuating that Edge, Adam, and Larry do not bring their best to the table here. They do. The atmosphere is great. But make no mistake, Bono's vocals here are going to suprise a lot of people that think that he can not offer what he once did. He offers all that and more on this track.

Re: i think i got the lyrics

voxson said:

First of all I'd like to say that whoever came up with the "car alarm" must have really wished :no: this wasn't the right thing!

To me that line sounded clear from the first time:

"Come along, we'll wrench him back to sleep"

I might be wrong, but it's a big improvement over the "car alarm" thing. And if you really listen to it, it is a "come along" but it's kind of shouted out so it sounds a bit different, but's a sure "come along" to my ears. :coocoo:

In the context of what that verse is about "Car alarm won't let ya back to sleep" makes more sense than "Come along, we'll wrench him back sleep"

Car alarm, wont let ya back to sleep
You kept awake, dreaming someone elses dream
Coffee is cold, but it will get you through
Compromise, that's nothing new to you.

Lord knows I've been waken up by stupid car alarms going off. So maybe I can relate to that verse.

Last edited:
spanisheyes said:
I listened to it over and over this morning, trying to pick out all the subtle sounds being played out in the song...it really is a gorgeous song that is in the vain of all great U2 songs...and Bono's vocals are quite extraordinary in their delivery...I'm not going to put any expectations on it, but simply enjoy this new U2...I love Electrical Storm.

Chris

I feel the same. I didn?t have any major expectations, I just wanted some new U2 song to sing along with, and I got it with Electrical Storm. The music has a certain atmosphere that I really like. I feel good listening to Electrical Storm. It?s not their best but it?s a good song IMO.

Electrical Storm is outstanding!!! Not really getting the criticism by some here that it's too Top 40, lite, or "poppy". If it is all those things so what??? U2 is at a stage (I believe) where they want their music to actually BE HEARD by music fans, unlike some of their peers, most notably R.E.M. You'll recall that Bono once said, about AB, that some of the "pop" kids won't like it and that they "don't need them". Well, I think the band now is at a point where they want ALL the kids (pop, rock, alternative, lite, country, classical, etc) to hear and embrace their music. I have no problems if this is their current approach.

Fact is, U2 can't be an "alternative" band forever...and just what is "alternative" music today??? I've been a U2 fan since '85 and have grown with the band. I've embraced their many re-incarnations musically and applaud them for their desire to never rest on their laurels and produce another JT over and over again.

U2 was never really a hard rock band so why would anybody expect them to "rock" at 40 years of age??? Electrical Storm is an example of what I call "intelligent rock"...rock music that is wonderfully structured, crafted, and thoughtful whose lyrics inspire and challenge the listener. I think Electrical Storm are all those things and more. It's beautifully produced, the lyrics are great, harmonies and melodies are eloquent, and the music is well written and played. Maybe it's a little dark and moody...but music doesn't always have to be uplifting and thoughtless to be great.

I think Electrical Storm is lyrically and musically better than anything on POP, Zooropa, UF, WAR, October, and Boy. I think it is a stronger song than Beautiful Day and Walk On...songs that one many grammies for the boys. If a great, melodic song is "safe" by today's standards than so be it...Electrical Storm rocks. It's not "bubblegum pop" or as Bono once said about '80's music "non-stick wallpaper music." It's simply a great great rock song by a great band hitting their stride at 40+.

And...it sounds NOTHING like other songs on Modern Rock Radio...sorry, but I don't hear the similiarities between Electrical Storm and anything on Modern Rock Radio by Nickleback, Bon Jovi or any other group is more than a stretch...it's just wrong. Electrical Storm has a musical and emotional quality lacking in songs by those bands and most others for that matter...this is the infinite genius of U2 as a band...they have NEVER sounded like ANY OTHER BAND dating back to their incarnation during the New Wave and Punk days U2 have always gone against the mainstream grain of rock music. And really, what makes a song "safe" anyhow??? Every song is a risk...I don't believe "safe" songs exist. If it is "safe" because it doesn't sound like some tripped out acid rock song prevalent in only underground circles than yes, it's "safe" by those standards.

U2 can't be the same band it was 10 or 20 years ago...and I don't want them to be. Electrical Storm is a magnificent song and a superb example of 4 rockers going through the "maturation" process in their music...as we all hopefully do in life. I, for one, really like where their music has taken me....and where it is taking me today.

Michael Griffiths said:

Secondly, while I agree with you that the band sound tight (I did say that, after-all, in my first post) I must disagree that this song sounds no more commercial than anything off ATYCLB. I haven't heard any songs on the radio -- in, say, the last 30 years -- that even resemble anything off ATYCLB, and that includes 'Stuck' (and the only reason I mention 'Stuck' is due to the constant boy-band comparison).

Not only could you make a Stuck comparison to any boy band song, but you could also make a case for Elevation being similar to "Song 2" by Blur (does "woo-hoo" ring a bell?). Do I actually equate boy bands, Blur, and these other pop groups with U2? Of course not. My point is that you and others on this forum make this association between new U2, mainstream sounding music, and selling out. If U2 has not yet proven to you that they are not sell outs, and are just creating the music that they, personally, want to create, then why do you bother listening? I happen to believe that U2 released this song because they liked it. Typically, I share their taste in music, so I liked it also. They liked many of the songs off of Zooropa and Pop also, and guess what, they released it to the dismay of many fans and non-fans alike.

And what is so wrong with U2 doing their version of mainstream music? How else can you "bite the arse of the pop charts" and create songs that kick down the door of radio stations so that meaningful lyrics actually get on the air? Personally, I would rather hear U2 on the radio than pop sh*t. More importantly, I love ATYCLB not because it is so different than past songs I have heard - I love it because it is U2 bringing their version of modern, mainstream rock. Doing it better than anyone else does it. It is U2 adapted to the music of the day. But they are still doing it their way. They don't have to come out with Indo-Celtic trance music to be good. They can write songs that have a big mainstream sounding riff and still be excellent. It is still the U2 I know and love. The intention is the same as it always was - trying to write a song with a hook so good you will be humming the sound of it for weeks, and thinking about the lyrics as well.

I simply stated that it sounds more like mainstream rock than any other U2 song ever has. End of story.

That statement is highly debatable and subjective. I could make a strong case for Elevation sounding like song 2 by Blur. By your logic, Elevation was a sell out also because it sounds like something that was already accepted as mainstream rock. Why dissect everything in that context, trying to decipher U2's commercial intent with the song? How about thinking of it this way - this song f'n rocks, so let's put it on the album.

Like I said before - it is time to stop throwing around the term sell out, or even implying it, where U2 is concerned. If they have not proven to you by now (after over 20 years) that they are the real deal and authentic musicians, then you obviously doubt their musical integrity, and you are not someone I consider a true fan. I believe that the true fans on this board respect the band enough to trust their musical integrity and not release some pop crap to sell a billion more records. Period.

AJ
:rolleyes:

Hawk269 said:
Why dissect everything in that context, trying to decipher U2's commercial intent with the song? How about thinking of it this way - this song f'n rocks, so let's put it on the album.

Like I said before - it is time to stop throwing around the term sell out, or even implying it, where U2 is concerned. If they have not proven to you by now (after over 20 years) that they are the real deal and authentic musicians, then you obviously doubt their musical integrity, and you are not someone I consider a true fan. I believe that the true fans on this board respect the band enough to trust their musical integrity and not release some pop crap to sell a billion more records. Period.

AMEN, BROTHER!!! Well said. :up:

Hawk 269 asks:

And what is so wrong with U2 doing their version of mainstream music? How else can you "bite the arse of the pop charts" and create songs that kick down the door of radio stations so that meaningful lyrics actually get on the air?

U2 is one of only a handful of bands ever that can get almost whatever they produce on mainstream radio and alter what is considered mainstream. Why cater to mainstream radio when you can transform it? When U2 is at their creative/experimental best they can do this. Mysterious Ways, the Fly, Even Better than the Real Thing, Lemon, even Discotheque (love it or hate it) and HMTMKMKM were so different than what anyone else was doing, yet so infectious and enduring. Before that, no one was doing anything as remotely groundbreaking as the Joshua Tree.

U2 is about ambition, about establishing what relevance is without trying to be relevant. Sometimes I think that the U2 of the ATYCLB era falls short of this high bar.

karl

why is everyone so damn catty?

I do have to say when I first heard the title "Electrical Storm" I assumed it would be a hard rockin song. While I love U2's slower songs, I do hope there will be some hard rockin songs on the new album.

karl said:
U2 is one of only a handful of bands ever that can get almost whatever they produce on mainstream radio and alter what is considered mainstream. Why cater to mainstream radio when you can transform it? When U2 is at their creative/experimental best they can do this. Mysterious Ways, the Fly, Even Better than the Real Thing, Lemon, even Discotheque (love it or hate it) and HMTMKMKM were so different than what anyone else was doing, yet so infectious and enduring. Before that, no one was doing anything as remotely groundbreaking as the Joshua Tree.

[/B]

Good points, karl. In theory, I agree with you: U2 is at their best when they are defining the standard and transforming the mainstream by breaking new ground. That was proven over and over in the late 80's/early 90's. But maybe they don't see a need to do that in this era. They are blowing my mind with mainstream sounds and explosive, emotive soul. Why is it so much less amazing to watch a band like U2, who are musical pioneers, adapt their style to an era where pop and hip-hop rule and rock is a dying form? Is it that we just miss U2 setting the musical standard as opposed to mastering the standards now dictated by the industry? I think it is awesome that U2 is kicking the ass of pop by their own rules, right on their same radio stations. Beautiful Day is a pop song that actually has soul. I don't know of any song like it in that respect.

U2 have said it themselves: they do not want to be a crap band. if the last album was experimental and they got killed for it (especially after Pop), they would have been considered a crap band. They are not operating in a vacuum, and there is a pragmatism to releasing music publically that must be considered and sometimes addressed. There is a difference between selling out and surviving another day to be able to experiment. U2 can create an experimental record on this next one, because they re-established their position as the best band in the world. Radio stations will play their stuff next album, regardless of what it is. But that is largely because they were willing to compromise enough to create a *seemingly* pop album to keep their name and reputation intact. U2 fans know that they are not about pop, but should also know that they needed to create an album like ATYCLB to keep the critics from ruining their name. Underneath the sometimes glossy surface of that album are some deep and powerful themes.

Originally posted by karl

U2 is about ambition, about establishing what relevance is without trying to be relevant. Sometimes I think that the U2 of the ATYCLB era falls short of this high bar.

I believe that they will aim to exceed that bar again in the near future. Keep in mind that Electrical Storm sounds like it was from the ATYCLB sessions.

AJ

Last edited:
U2 have yet to put out a song I really love since Ground Beneath Her Feet. GBHF is their last truly great song... everything since then has been dissappointingly and frustratingly bland... no balls...

Boys, if you want to hold the spot of being my favorite band, you'll have to keep me interested... and you're not doing it. I've listened to it 4 times, and nothing about it makes me want to play it again... I'm already bored with it.

I don't anticipate listening to it again unless I hear it on the radio or the Best Of disc. I'll buy the single, but purely for the B-sides.

its incredible to hear some members in this forum 'losing interest' in U2 merely because of the new direction they have chosen to take; and their new album isnt even out yet! :no:

all of you whose faith is dwindling remember why you became fans in the first place; an unpredictable U2 is a great U2.

just wait 'til the next album before making any judgements...

Back
Top Bottom