Do you think....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickFly

Refugee
Do you think that u2 should pull a zooropa? by that i mean, during the long stretching zoo tv tour u2 put out a second record in the middle of touring. do you think the guys should put out another album while on the vertigo tour since it is now looking to be as long as the zootv tour?

i think that i would make things fresh for them to play new material if they are on the road for as long as it is shaping out to be.

it woud be great for the fans attending the shows.

I think after original is realeased as a worldwide single, they should let HTDAAB go and move on with yet another overwhelming success under their belt. I'm just ready for them to move on, and hurry up and finish the tour! I don't think they should release an album during the tour though, they should focus all their energy on new material once they are done with Bomb.

RickFly said:
Do you think that u2 should pull a zooropa? by that i mean, during the long stretching zoo tv tour u2 put out a second record in the middle of touring. do you think the guys should put out another album while on the vertigo tour since it is now looking to be as long as the zootv tour?

i think that i would make things fresh for them to play new material if they are on the road for as long as it is shaping out to be.

it woud be great for the fans attending the shows.

I agree. If they did such, they could continue the tour into the summer with a US stadium leg and an additional European leg [both of which would probably be shorter than the previous legs].

But remember, they had about a six month break during ZooTV, and at the time Edge was divorced so he didn't have many family obligations, so he was eager to work. Bono wasn't really a humanitarian yet, either (not the way he is now). For Vertigo tour they have, what, two months? Three months? It'd be almost impossible to record an album in such a short time unless they actually had most of the songs ready, like leftovers from HTDAAB sessions or whatever. But that's unlikely as we've already had some songs released on iTunes and Mercy leaked - how much more worthy, nearly-finished material does U2 have stored up? Would it fit together as an album? I think U2 is interested in making albums again. Bono was frustrated that HTDAAB had great songs but didn't quite add up as an album.

I'd be very, very surprised if U2 could pull off an album before at least fall 2006 - especially the over-calculating U2 of today. But if they did, I think it would be a smart move. It would be a surprise to everyone and break the cycle of four (or just three if you're lucky) years between each album.

Re: Re: Do you think....

AtomicBono said:

But remember, they had about a six month break during ZooTV, and at the time Edge was divorced so he didn't have many family obligations, so he was eager to work. Bono wasn't really a humanitarian yet, either (not the way he is now). For Vertigo tour they have, what, two months? Three months? It'd be almost impossible to record an album in such a short time unless they actually had most of the songs ready, like leftovers from HTDAAB sessions or whatever. But that's unlikely as we've already had some songs released on iTunes and Mercy leaked - how much more worthy, nearly-finished material does U2 have stored up? Would it fit together as an album? I think U2 is interested in making albums again. Bono was frustrated that HTDAAB had great songs but didn't quite add up as an album.

I agree with everything you said. :yes:

I don't think they can pull a new album off during this tour--for all the reasons AtomicBono said. And honestly, (and I've been flamed for this..) I'd rather have them stop this tour sooner and use their energy to crank out a killer album than spend all their energy on tour and give us another 4 year wait.

Re: Re: Re: Do you think....

Utoo said:

I'd rather have them stop this tour sooner and use their energy to crank out a killer album than spend all their energy on tour and give us another 4 year wait.

aww, let them at least finish their tour of Australasia and Asia! Or fans there will miss out!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you think....

Zootlesque said:

aww, let them at least finish their tour of Australasia and Asia! Or fans there will miss out!

I know---especially the places that haven't gotten to see them in a long time. I can totally understand that. :yes: There are two parts of me---one who recognizes that fans still need to see them this tour, and one who recognizes that more touring delays an album---and they can't agree with each other. I think someone needs to buy me two beers so both sides can sit and talk it out. :wink:

It would be awesome if they did that, but i'm not sure it would give them anything fresh to play, since after they released zooropa they couldn't play most of the songs since they didn't have time to rehearse the songs after the album release before the leg started

00Kevin said:
It would be awesome if they did that, but i'm not sure it would give them anything fresh to play, since after they released zooropa they couldn't play most of the songs since they didn't have time to rehearse the songs after the album release before the leg started

They did perform Stay, Numb, Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay and Dirty Day on the ZooTV tour, didn't they? :hmm:

And Zooropa and Babyface. For an album they "almost ignored live", there's only 1 song that hasn't been performed.

You know, I'd actually been thinking about that lately, but as much as a treat new material would be, I'd rather they didn't.

Our boys are older, and busier (especially Bono). I'd rather see them finish up the Vertigo tour this spring in the southern hemisphere, and then have a chance to catch their breath before trying to put out a new album.
I have good feelings about the next album, and I'd rather see them give it their full time and attention and come up with something really great, than to hurry and churn out something not quite as grand.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I have good feelings about the next album, and I'd rather see them give it their full time and attention and come up with something really great, than to hurry and churn out something not quite as grand.

I agree totally... it seems like with the last two albums they got progressively closer to what they were trying to achieve... perhaps this time they'll nail it.

tommycharles said:
And Zooropa and Babyface. For an album they "almost ignored live", there's only 1 song that hasn't been performed.

Yeah, but how many times were most of those songs played? Not many.

I think it'd be cool if U2 as least came out with an EP...four or five songs... added a couple to the lineup... I'm not sure how long U2 is going to continue in their current phase (back to basics, emphasis on songwriting). They all seem to be itching for something other. So maybe an EP or a quick album to get out the rest of that phase, and then move onto something new. Perhaps they could actually come out with an album in fall of 2006. wouldn't that be nice?

Back
Top Bottom