Disillusionment with U2 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
last unicorn said:
I love U2 because their music provides a sort of comfort for me that I have never found or experienced with another band. Period. That's it, I cannot analyse this or think about it because it is what it is. U2's music is "home" for me. I like their philosophy, I'm moved by their history and their level of loyality, respect and love for each other. I love the idea behind U2 and even if I'm not always crazy about everything they are doing, I cannot imagine that this will ever go away. I have such a passion for this band and I don't see why I should analyse this. They are just part of my life and mean so much to me.

:up:

"That´s all !! ...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Disillusionment with U2 ?

gvox said:

Personally I wonder if the two of you have even been paying attention past, oh, 1991. Most of what you two wrote in that other thread was ludicrous, so it seems to indicate that. I could be wrong of course, but..

Sorry: Yes, you are completely wrong and you do have absolutely no idea – but you like pretending you have the answers. I give it up here ...

An Cat Gav said:
I've been a fan since around 84. I fully embraced the whole reinvention thing in 91 and ZOO TV and Achtung Baby are my favourite things that U2 have ever done. I do like some of their post 2000 work ... I still hope that the next album will be their 3rd masterpiece and believe it can be.

99% agreed – apart from estimating '87-'90 as one of their very best work, too – as a lot of their stuff after '93 until today.:wave:

gvox said:
I don't want to hijack another thread but something said there has me thinking...

Some say that people who still follow U2 closely are blind sheep or whatever. For instance "if Bono farted you think it would smell sweet" or similar comments.

They contrast this with their disillusionment with the band and how they think U2 has lost it's way etc.

Question: Is still sticking with U2 necessarily indicative of a brainwashed imbalanced fan base, or could it be that back when those 'older' U2 fans were 'originally' fans, that they themselves were imbalanced and failed to put the music and their idols (U2) into proper perspective in their lives?

and when U2 changed their tune (for lack of better way of describing it, I don't think they really did but that's the sense I get) these same fans sortof experienced a loss of faith in their idols because they had fallen in love with U2 as they wanted to believe U2 to be, not as how U2 really was?

Is it possible that they went too far in their admiration back then, and is that part of the recipie for losing faith in a band you like?

(this may sound like starving for content or whatever or you can flame or joke mercilessly as the case may be, but I have been kicking that around in my head for a bit, why people who were once so passionate about U2 could really lose that passion nowadays...)

I do understand your point in this thread GVox and I think exactly like you. Let me tell you why: I´ve been a U2 lover since Boy to Zooropa... oops...Why stop in Zooropa ??

Well... when POP came I got really shocked ) if this is the correct word to describe my feelings..) I wondered how could my favorite band play such very different and strange musics like Discotheque or Mofo ? How could my boys wear those ridiculous "costumes"... It was strange to see Adam (a serious guy) with that weird oxygen mask and orange clotHes...(poor Adam..) Everything seemed sortof "pathetic" for me. Oh... this is not the U2 I used to see.. What the hell was going on???
(Bono´s bubble pants.. well...he looks perfect anyway !!)

I was really very disappointed and I had to put U@ in the "fridge" for sometime, trying to give a time to myself to understand and accept the new U2 phase..

Suddenly, everything changed after watching POP Mart Mexico. I noticed I started watching it more than the old ones and listening to more POP than the others CDs I used to and I felt in love with U2 again.

Wow... it was amazing to feel that the best band in the world was playing different songs, wearing different clothes but they were still rocking me as well as in the past and I came to the conclusion that everthing in life is a matter of "TIME"..
Everybody has different levels of acceptance and that U2 will never get stuck in the time.

Some years ago, if you had put this thread, I would certainly show my total disillusionment with U2 and now I´d feel ashamed of myself... How could I be so... silly ???

Good that things have changed !!.. for better... yeah!!

:rockon: :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom