Didnt know Adam plays guitar on 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Topic=Outstanding!

And that's so nice! Yes indeed Adam plays guitar for "40" And I liXes that alot! He does a pretty darn good job! Nice to see the boys on opposite sides of the stage. Who says U2 doesn't mix it up! :wink: :tongue:

And on a side note:
t8thgr8 said:
Great DVD btw. Vertigo > Elevation.

I'd like to confirm this, and I understand. :yes:

Why do they play each other's instrument for that one song? I never found that out.

clerks said:
Why do they play each other's instrument for that one song? I never found that out.

Because Adam wasn't at the studio when they were wrapping up the recording sessions for War. Edge did the bass then and Adam's never learnt to play it live.

Axver said:

Because Adam wasn't at the studio when they were wrapping up the recording sessions for War. Edge did the bass then and Adam's never learnt to play it live.

I would think that sometime in the ensuing 22 years he could have taken an hour or two to learn it. :huh:

i think that they should switch for the new album a few times. I bet the egde could come up with some tasty bass licks, and adam seemed comfortable with guitar. This band is crazy

t8thgr8 said:
or maybe edge hasnt taken the time to learn the guitar part

The guitar part is very basic. I'm sure that Edge could have it down in seconds. Plus, given Axver's explanation, Edge did the guitar part in the studio, so it's not a matter of him not knowing it.

The melody of the song is played on the bass. Maybe it went beyond Adam's abilities at the time, and so Edge played it, and it's remained a tradition? That's just pure speculation on my part, though.

of course adam would be able to learn it on bass, it took me 30 seconds 2 learn so i'm sure adam could learn it just as easy

Yeah isn't that cool? I didn't know that until I read it somewhere like a month ago right before I saw them in Philly (10.17).

VintagePunk said:

The guitar part is very basic. I'm sure that Edge could have it down in seconds. Plus, given Axver's explanation, Edge did the guitar part in the studio, so it's not a matter of him not knowing it.

The melody of the song is played on the bass. Maybe it went beyond Adam's abilities at the time, and so Edge played it, and it's remained a tradition? That's just pure speculation on my part, though.

I dunno, beyond Adam's abilities?

He was already doing "pick and slap" style like on "Gloria" which I'm told can be tricky.

I'm sure he could do "40" now, listen to the "Pop" album. It's just done for tradition.

Originally, Adam had gone home, they were running out of studio time, and the other 3 quickly came up with "40." The lyrics come almost straight from the Bible. Even the "how long to sing this song."

Maybe it was like--

Bono/Edge: Came up with this song, after you left, either you can learn the bass part, Edge will do his guitar, or...Edge can do the bass and you can play the guitar?

Adam: I get to be the lead guitarist for a song!?

Or not ;)

Keeps it interesting. I don't think Adam plays the same thing everytime on the guitar, like he does something a little different every time. I could be wrong on that though.

I think it's great! And i read it's on the DVD too! Yay! But what this Adam lover really wants to see is Adam on the drums. Not a single picture of that exists! And you bet your bill this man can keep the beat!

thrillme said:

I dunno, beyond Adam's abilities?

He was already doing "pick and slap" style like on "Gloria" which I'm told can be tricky.

I'm sure he could do "40" now, listen to the "Pop" album. It's just done for tradition.

That's why I said at the time and it's remained a tradition . I think it's pretty well known that Adam wasn't exactly a virtuoso in the early days. I have no doubt he could play it now, and you're right, Pop features bass lines that are considerably more complex than the earlier material.

Back
Top Bottom