Dancing Barefoot revelations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fear_nothing

The Fly
Ok I usually never start a new topic. I much prefer to add my two sense in after the fact.
But for the past month I have been endlessly listening to "Dancing Barefoot".

Now as a general rule I'm not a huge fan of 80s U2. (I'm one of those later 90s people) But for some reason this song has me completely captivated.

I don't know if it's the bridge or closing mantra "Oh God, I feel for you"

Does this happen to anyone else?
What I mean is after endlessly listening to U2 for a long period of time are there songs that for no reason what so ever crop up and burn themselves into your brain?
Songs that grab hold of your conscience/sub conscience mind and refuse to let go?

that is the best cover u2 have done in my opinion. have always liked it. but then again, it came from my fave u2 period. the days wen b-sides werent awful

I agree this is one of U2's best covers, if not their very best. It doesn't surprise me that some think it's better than the original. Patti Smith is one of those artists that people either really love or really don't care for. I have a lot of respect for her, but she's definitely not someone I'd listen to every day.

I was really hoping they might've played this song together when Patti Smith opened a few of the NYC shows. That would've been :drool: x 10,000

I agree about Patti Smith being a "love her or hate her" kind of artist, but I don't really think U2's version is much different than her original version.

It's a pretty straight-forward cover. I like it, though.

(But not as much as I love "Everlasting Love"!)

I was never really fond of the original Patti Smith version but I remember liking The Mission's cover that came out about a year before U2's.

But the "oh God I feel for you" part (which is oddly edited out on some copies) puts U2's version well ahead of the others.

Simple Minds released a version too, but theirs is faily generic.

corianderstem said:
I agree about Patti Smith being a "love her or hate her" kind of artist, but I don't really think U2's version is much different than her original version.

It's a pretty straight-forward cover. I like it, though.

(But not as much as I love "Everlasting Love"!)

Agree with everything here! :up: :applaud:

gman said:
the days wen b-sides werent awful

I do not agree with this at all. :madwife:

Yes, the 90's and 00's period for b-sides did consist of lots of remixes and live songs, but the few new songs and covers have been just as good, IMO.

coincidently, patti smith's version was played in this week's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip...

Back
Top Bottom