Choose the singles from HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvinmarvin

Refugee
I think that there has been a lot of dissent regarding the singles selections from HTDAAB. Assuming the choices are the same on a worldwide basis, please choose the order you think would have been better. Also give your reasons for your choices:

Here's mine:

1. Vertigo. It's the logical choice, and U2's Ipod campaign was brilliant.

2. Love and Peace or Else. This song turns heads, and would have been better than All Because of You, which was basically a waste of a single.

3. SYCMIOYO. Time for a ballad....

4. Miracle Drug. Nice U2-sounding soung with a strong hook. Should've been a single.

5. OOTS. No probs with OOTS as the 5th single...save a great ballad to conincide with the 3rd leg of Vertigo, and hopefully give HTAAB a final sales push heading into the Christmas season.

I can't see the need for any more singles than this. COBL is a great song live, and I'm partial to it because I'm a Vancouverite and love the fact they filmed the video here, but it just doesn't stand out on the radio. I don't think concert videos generally do well either.

1. Vertigo
2. Love and Peace or Else
3. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
4. City of Blinding Lights
5. Orignal of the Species

Vertigo (fast, energetic lead single)

Original (finish it off with a radio/pop song. Much better than the sometimes named single candidate A man and a woman, plus one of the most popular Bomb songs on the tour. Sadly, as it got robbed on the tracklist - should have been higher on the album IMO - so it did at the singles' time)

Sometimes (now is the time for a slow song)

City (not another rock song becase look at what happened with ABOY. Miracle Drug could work as well but IMO this is the better of these two anthemic, U2 sounding songs)

Last edited:
Love And Peace Or Else(will give everyone the punch in the face, the WTF factor)
Fast Cars
Sometimes
OOTS
AMAAW(would take off on adult contemporary stations)

namkcuR said:
Love And Peace Or Else(will give everyone the punch in the face, the WTF factor)

I would've loved to have seen it, but the WTF factor might be too high. I remember when The Fly first came out, and everyone in North America screamed what the fuck, and the song stalled at #61. Mysterious Ways got them back on track. In addition, Discotheque really killed Pop in NA. Same goes for Numb

starvinmarvin said:
I think that there has been a lot of dissent regarding the singles selections from HTDAAB. Assuming the choices are the same on a worldwide basis, please choose the order you think would have been better. Also give your reasons for your choices:

Here's mine:

1. Vertigo. It's the logical choice, and U2's Ipod campaign was brilliant.

2. Love and Peace or Else. This song turns heads, and would have been better than All Because of You, which was basically a waste of a single.

3. SYCMIOYO. Time for a ballad....

4. Miracle Drug. Nice U2-sounding soung with a strong hook. Should've been a single.

5. OOTS. No probs with OOTS as the 5th single...save a great ballad to conincide with the 3rd leg of Vertigo, and hopefully give HTAAB a final sales push heading into the Christmas season.

I can't see the need for any more singles than this. COBL is a great song live, and I'm partial to it because I'm a Vancouverite and love the fact they filmed the video here, but it just doesn't stand out on the radio. I don't think concert videos generally do well either.

I agree 100%. Except ABOY worked at keeping U2 alive at Modern Rock radio after Vertigo dropped off. Although Love and Peace or Else would of done the same thing, maybe better.

1. Vertigo
Duh

2. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
I've noticed that generally bands these days release a ballad as their second single and it does very well, i.e. Green Day: American Idiot then Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

3. Love and Peace or Else
After a ballad it's best to release another rocker, and this one is most less "generic" than ABOY and I think would turn more heads. A lot of people at my school that normally don't like U2 liked this song when I played it for them.

4. Original of the Species
Catchiest song on the album, it SHOULD be a radio hit.

5. All Because of You, Miracle Drug, or A Man and a Woman
Depends on what U2 wants to do. To appeal to the pop/rock crowd, ABOY. To appeal to the more pop/typical U2 crowd, Miracle Drug. Adult contemporary, AMAAW. Though I think AMAAW could possibly be a hit on the pop stations too. It all depends.

1.) Vertigo
2.) Sometimes
3.) Love and Peace or Else
4.) A Man and a Woman
5.) Origional of the Species

in an alternate universe:

Native Son
Xanax and Wine
Love and Peace
COBL
OOTS

I think Xanax could have been a decent hit here in America.
Native Son probably wouldnt have been a hit like Vertigo, and I don't think it would make sense on an Ipod ad.
LAPOE has potential for bluesy classic rock oriented radio like Angel of Harlem and When Loves Come to Town were modest hits here in America. LAPOE has more edge and might even make it to alr radio. COBL is a single, no matter how you look at it, and OOTS, I think has as much chance as any of these songs.

since we don't live in an alternate universe:
Vertigo
ABOY
LAPOE
COBL
OOTS

well actually by posting this we're living in an alternate universe anyway, unless everyone's list of singles is the same as U2's :wink:

I agree about Xanax and Wine... I think Fast Cars could have possibly made a good single too, the title is better for mass appeal anyway. I prefer Xanax though.

Vertigo feels like much more of a hit to me than Native Son. I can't quite explain why, it just has "it." I guess the band thought so too.

Love and Peace is the best on the album in my opinion and one of thier best all time. I think it will be the UTEOTW type song for Bomb. It will not be a single, it will always be a great live track and later will be known as a classic song that probably should have been a single.

gherman said:
Love and Peace is the best on the album in my opinion and one of thier best all time. I think it will be the UTEOTW type song for Bomb. It will not be a single, it will always be a great live track and later will be known as a classic song that probably should have been a single.

I agree, I used to think Miracle Drug would fill that same place, but the more I listen to boots and HTDAAB, it seems more clearly to be Love and Peace :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

1. Love and peace or else (the punch:wink: )
2. Vertigo
3. Sometimes you can't make it on your own
4. Miracle drug
5. Original of the species

My two cents...

1. Vertigo
2. Love and Peace or Else
3. Miracle Drug (instead of Sometimes)
4. Crumbs From Your Table

Radio edit and Album version on all singles, then have b-sides - Smile (on Vertigo), Fast Cars remix (for those in Oz who didn't get it, on LAPOE), Xanax and Wine (on Miracle Drug) and a remix from CFYT. This way it leaves the best track, COBL, on the album, so that when people purchase it there are better songs to come.

Film clips on all singles!!

Meghan said:

wtf? What else COULD it suck as? A poem? A speech?

I'm going to give Vertigo as a speech someday..."Hello, hello. Hola. I'm at a place called vertigo. Donde esta? It's everything I wish I didn't know, except you give me something I can feel. Feel. Thank you."

AtomicBono said:

I'm going to give Vertigo as a speech someday..."Hello, hello. Hola. I'm at a place called vertigo. Donde esta? It's everything I wish I didn't know, except you give me something I can feel. Feel. Thank you."

"Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah, yeah."

1. Vertigo
2. City Of Blinding Lights
3. Sometimes
4. Love And Peace Or Else
5. Original Of The Species

Back
Top Bottom