"Boy" Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't decide between this and Joshua, which is my fave.

Does anyone else see a darkness to Boy? Perhaps it's the fact suicide is a theme, the death of childhood etc...

Shadows, An Cat Dubh, Another Time, Out of Control, A Day Without Me...are favourites and I could go on to list them all.

ravenette said:
I can't decide between this and Joshua, which is my fave.

Does anyone else see a darkness to Boy? Perhaps it's the fact suicide is a theme, the death of childhood etc...

Shadows, An Cat Dubh, Another Time, Out of Control, A Day Without Me...are favourites and I could go on to list them all.

"Boy" was a great post-punk album...but "October" was the album where U2 began to develop their signature sound.

I would agree that it is somewhat of a dark album, partly because of the way Bono's voice sounds on Shadows, Another Time, and Stories.
Electric Co is my favorite song from that album and I wish they could make more songs like that. They need to make their "punk rock from Venus" album before they get too old (but Boy has some post-punk that sounds damn close to Venus).
If you don't like the album, listen to their live in Boston 1981 concert from The Complete U2 (if you can find it). That made me appreciate Boy as well as earlier songs like Touch, Things To Make and Do, and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

I think Boy is drastically underrated. Unlike the other albums, there isn't a single track that I dislike at all. The Electric Co. is amazing.

The album should definately be remasted and rereleased. That would be awesome.

A remastered Electric Co. on surround sound would be mindblowing.

Back
Top Bottom