Bono's rockstar posturing in U23D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course he has to do some moves. But to flap his arms like a bird while singing a line about a bird?

Come on, Bono. Really?

:wink:

phillyfan26 said:

That sounds completely made up.

No, this is true. They mentioned this a while back when they were making the film. Certain parts were filmed seperatly for some of the close-ups to help add to the film and make it more personal. Same with when he sings "the troops on the ground are about to dig in..." part had seperate vocals.

I liked his wing flapping because it does make me LOL each time. I don't mind laughing at him once in a while, he's gotta know it's funny!

Is this thread really our only problem? Bono posing too much? In front of cameras, recording his performance for eternity, or at least a movie, some of us might finally be able to watch?

Hm, try to sum it up, but you're talking about U2, right? One of the bands, that – especially including the frontman's on stage & off stage behaviour – has always divided its surrounding cosmos into:
a) "Oh, they are so awesome. Bono is so sexy. His shoes, his glasses, his voice, his ...whatever. U2 are the best, the cutest, the true sons of Jesus in saving the world and always thinking about their fans ... bla, bla, bla."

b) "Oh, they are so terrible. Can't stand the poser frontman, who looks/sings/sounds like a woman, who is a rich billionaire, who is ...whatever. U2 are liars, who pretend to be good while only thinking about the money. Bono just wants to be amongst the big ones in the world, he's just a wannabe ... bla, bla, bla."

c) "U who? Couldn't care less about a rock band – and fans, who put them too centred in their life ... bla, bla, bla."

Now: Bono has always posed on stage, from the early days in Dublin's clubs as his character "The Fool" until the current days. Remember: You don't expect a rockstar to walk on stage, as he would walk down the streets. A concert has to look spontaneous, but in U2's case it nearly never is. It is a performance, by the singer, the band – and the (on stage often invisible) cosmos surrounding them to make music come out of the speakers.
Bono with a white flag, criticizing presidents, dancing with girls, shaking on his high heels cowboy boots, opening his then longer hair, going on his knees, playing the devil, playing to be Jesus, pretending to be a heroin addict, being a coal miner at Springhill, preaching about Africa – this all is performance, alright?
It always was this way, and I do hope, U2, and especially will walk on – while, of course, not forgetting to dust off some elder tunes for the next tour and to record a hell of a new album.

P.S.: Dylan with his Dylan mask on, Townshend with the windmill guitar, Lennon in the bed, Jagger being "Jumping Jack", Springsteen being the rock rambo fighting with the "alligator guitar " – Bono is in good company, a very good one. And Bono, I guess, is the first, who knows, that posing does sometimes suck, that he is a great pretender ...

I'm not doubting that there could have been pre-taped bits and other footage mixed in etc, and the credits seemed to indicate that with the different location crews and whatnot

But there were a few (and realistically, in the minority) moments where I went 'holy crap, if they did overdubs/remixes of other footage, surely they could have fixed THAT?' - I think in particular in parts of One, alot of The Fly, and most of WOWY. :shrug:

All in all, tho, the film gets :up: :up: from me

Yeah what's going on with that whole opening of The Fly, where you clearly hear someone (Bono?) say something's not working. Was Edge having tech problems?

My take on it was Bono was having guitar problems, majorly...I think Edge was just waiting to start because he knew that and so he was improvising to cover up a bit, but I could be wrong. To me tho, that definitely wasn't the same The Fly I heard at the shows I went to, in terms of Bono's guitar level.... :shrug:

Thanks. I actually liked that bit, added to the "reality" of the show. I'm thinking that was their intention for leaving it in.

Superflysrb said:
So I saw the movie last night...and well, while I enjoyed it...I couldn't help but get annoyed at how Bono's rock star posturing has gotten really cheesy.
Was it always this bad?
He was cool on Zoo TV and Popmart and in Elevation he kept it in check...but it just seems like recently he's become a rockstar cliche with his poses and what appears like choreographed movements (i.e. I'm gonna take off my sunglasses now and look at the camera).
Maybe it's become U2 has become more middle of the road as of late...and since they're always trying to get a more mainstream audience he feels he needs to pander to that...but, I dunno...it just seemed so cheesy.
Am I alone on this?

Actually I totally agree. I've seen the film twice, and I will probably see it again. But at times, for the first time since I've been a fan, I did find Bono more cheesy than cool. The first showing I attended, there were titters from the audience at the arm-flapping part of BD, and again during SBS.
I actually have a theory about this. Bono used to have a kind of awkward grace which made him fascinating to watch. I love the way he moves on R&H, on ZooTV Sydney, on Popmart Mexico.... even on the empty-theatre video for Pride. For Elevation, though, he started wearing clunky shoes and tight jackets. Together they make him look stiff and squarish. The shoes remove all grace from his footwork - no one can be elegant in shoes like that - and the jackets restrict his freedom of movement. He can't do as much with his arms. I think his "posturing" would seem less cheesy if he weren't so damn awkward-looking these days.

gabrielvox said:
My take on it was Bono was having guitar problems, majorly...I think Edge was just waiting to start because he knew that and so he was improvising to cover up a bit, but I could be wrong.

I think it's Edge who's having problems. One of his effects pedals isn't working, and he starts and restarts the opening riff, but can't get it to sound right. He says "What the -?" and then "I don't know what's wrong but I can't get this to work," and that's when Bono starts saying, "where is the fly? where is the fly?"

Re: Re: Bono's rockstar posturing in U23D

bgmckinney said:

I actually have a theory about this. Bono used to have a kind of awkward grace which made him fascinating to watch. I love the way he moves on R&H, on ZooTV Sydney, on Popmart Mexico.... even on the empty-theatre video for Pride. For Elevation, though, he started wearing clunky shoes and tight jackets. Together they make him look stiff and squarish. The shoes remove all grace from his footwork - no one can be elegant in shoes like that - and the jackets restrict his freedom of movement. He can't do as much with his arms. I think his "posturing" would seem less cheesy if he weren't so damn awkward-looking these days.

Ya know, you may be right. I have ALWAYS hated those huge shoes on Bono. They do not make him look taller - they make him look shorter, clunkier (yes, like the shoes), and awkward. I just watched the ZooTV live in Sydney dvd last night and I marvelled at how different he looks and moves with slender boots. I mean, I don't really care about the asthetics that much, if he likes the creepers, but it does rather drag his performance.

Let's get up a petition for Bono to ditch the creepers and put on some boots :wave:
(and grow his hair out :sexywink: - oh wait, I'm not in PLEBA. :giggle: )!

The arm-flapping thing cracked my ass up. I'd imagine a non-fan would find that stupid, though (considering I am a fan and I thought it was pretty stupid). But hey, Bono is Bono, and I wouldn't want him to change a thing. His doofy earnestness is part of his charm. :wink:

he does all that same stuff at concerts so i dont see why everyone is analyzing him now

Rosebud said:
Actually, I was sort of surprised by how skinny Bono looked - at least in most of the footage. Seriously, he looked fantastic;

:yes: 3D flatters the band

corianderstem said:
Of course he has to do some moves. But to flap his arms like a bird while singing a line about a bird?

Come on, Bono. Really?

:lmao:

I liked it, actually. His goofiness has become more endearing to me over the years.

Axver said:

I have never heard of this, and I've never seen it mentioned on any setlist website. Does anybody have a source/setlist?

I don't know the songs they played, but THEY PLAYED... I was standing in line... we we're really far from the stadium (think half a mile) but we could hear something.

I can say that Vertigo, Love and Peace, Streets and WOWY were played... but I don't recall that much. Except that they played

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
he does all that same stuff at concerts so i dont see why everyone is analyzing him now

Because it's hard to overlook when he's 4-stories tall and in 3D, flapping his arms inches from your face.

I like goofy Bono just fine - it's just that sometimes you have to laugh at Bono and call him a dork.

corianderstem said:
I like goofy Bono just fine - it's just that sometimes you have to laugh at Bono and call him a dork.

Yeah, like that goofy friend or relative that always shows up for parties/renuions and you roll your eyes. but then you sit and talk and your first thought is:
"dudes, fucking brilliant" :ohmy:

I'd say more like the guy you think is brilliant and awesome and all that, and then you see him 20 feet tall in 3D and think, "Hey, he's kind of a dork!"

:lol:

Allanah said:
The arm-flapping thing cracked my ass up. I'd imagine a non-fan would find that stupid, though (considering I am a fan and I thought it was pretty stupid). But hey, Bono is Bono, and I wouldn't want him to change a thing. His doofy earnestness is part of his charm. :wink:

Well said...

I went with a friend, who likes U2, but not to the degree I do...

When he started doing the whole arm flap thing...she keep saying, "WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS, WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS?"

Hilarious, guess you had to be there

corianderstem said:
I'd say more like the guy you think is brilliant and awesome and all that, and then you see him 20 feet tall in 3D and think, "Hey, he's kind of a dork!"

:lol:

:wink: LOL - that's true.
Is this flapping during Beautful Day where he sings "see the Bird with the leaf in her mouth" etc.
(haven't seen it yet, but spoilers aren't a problem with me)

Back
Top Bottom