Bono's rockstar posturing in U23D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An entire concert with him playing..... :drool:

:wink:

He looks cool holding it anyways. He does know how to pose with a guitar!

last unicorn said:
Strangely, I found things he did in the past more annoying.

:yes:

As was said before: he was coy about being a rock star in the 80's, he "mocked" it in 90's and he's embracing it for the past 8 years.

I can certainly see how his posturing comes off as cheesy to some.

I expect it from Bono. Sometimes it makes me giggle because it's so cheesy (or dorky), but it doesn't bother me.

He's a little man playing for a huge, huge audience. It amazes me he can connect with that person in the back row .. and he does.

I have no problem with any of the postures.

I was all hyped to see this, but, now that I know the front man of a rock band is striking rock star-esque poses, I'm probably not going to go see it.
Thanks for the warning, guys!

oxbloodgh7.gif

I'd gripe that they're posting a picture of an alien wanking off, but then they'd probably show me up by showing a front-view of the alien, and it would turn out he's just pulling up the zipper on his invisible pants or something.

corianderstem said:
I'd gripe that they're posting a picture of an alien wanking off, but then they'd probably show me up by showing a front-view of the alien, and it would turn out he's just pulling up the zipper on his invisible pants or something.

:yes:

and

:giggle:

i thought the movie was great but groaned when bono started flapping his arms like a bird. but i guess that was better than when he crawled around like a cat and picked bugs off adam.

It should also be noted that actual performances were filmed without a crowd, and Bono was likely being compelled during certain parts to "Bono it up" if you will.

So if it seems like his gestures are exaggerated, it's understandable. If I was being filmed in an empty arena trying to "be myself" I'd probably be more over the top as well, even if it wasn't by design.

I've no problem at all with Bono embracing the cheesier, theatrical side of rock. Sure, his posturing can be ridiculous or dorky at times, but it's enormous fun to watch and I'd rather see someone making a fool out of themselves onstage any day, :wink:

Mac Phisto said:
It should also be noted that actual performances were filmed without a crowd, and Bono was likely being compelled during certain parts to "Bono it up" if you will.

Huh, I haven't heard this... you have a link or something?

Mac Phisto said:

So if it seems like his gestures are exaggerated, it's understandable. If I was being filmed in an empty arena trying to "be myself" I'd probably be more over the top as well, even if it wasn't by design.

That sounds completely made up.

corianderstem said:
I'd gripe that they're posting a picture of an alien wanking off

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT ALIEN IS DOING!?!?!

He could be shaking up a can of spray paint, he could be shaking a cup of dice to play yahtzee(c).. he could be zipping up and zipping down a zipper you can't see..

DON'T GO MAKING CRAZY ACCUSATIONS..

Remember.. when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME.

btw I am drunk.

They did a 10 song set in an empty arena the night before the Buenos Aires shows. This was done to facilitate closeups so that the cameras would not have to interfere with the actual concerts as much. They filmed 7 different South American concerts with cameras in different postitions. Most of the articles mention that the bulk of the shots are from the Buenos Aires shows but they used footage from the other shows to get different camera angles. The overheads were filmed at one show, the long range shots at another, etc. The footage of Yahweh during the credits was from the last show on that leg and Edge stated that it is the only U2 show he ever played that he didn't really want to be there. This of course is because of the family illness that was getting really bad at this stage and eventually cause the postponement of the last leg of the tour.

Dana

rihannsu said:
They did a 10 song set in an empty arena the night before the Buenos Aires shows.

I have never heard of this, and I've never seen it mentioned on any setlist website. Does anybody have a source/setlist?

corianderstem said:
Oh my god, I forgot about the arm-flapping thing. I ell-oh-ell'd at that. What a dork!

:heart:

Well we all know Bono can't dance. But he has to make SOME moves. And those he makes are often a bit ... let's call it ... dorky. That's adorable. It totally puts the rockstar posing into perspective.

And I didn't know the thing about U2 playing in an empty arena. Must be a straaaaange feeling. But considering the filming, it's somehow understandable.

Back
Top Bottom