Best Song Survivor v2: Pop era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And me a sad Axver. I can understand Please receiving votes on a par with Gone, but not Discotheque. Sure, I think Discotheque ruled on Popmart, but man that studio version is limp. Whoever thought that was a good lead single rather than DYFL, LNOE, or Gone made a serious mistake.

I also agree it's a disgrace Velvet Dress isn't well ahead of Miami. Hope that I'm Not Your Baby picks up some more votes so that Playboy Mansion rightly finishes dead last.

I've been enjoying running it more than I thought I would really. When we first talked about reviving Survivor last year I thought running it would be too tedious and was only too happy you ran v1. But this version has been pretty fun to do. If anything, it feels like it's going by too fast.

I'm kind of tempted to take all the songs that performed the worst and whack them in a bottom thirty poll at the end. :lol:

I'm kind of tempted to take all the songs that performed the worst and whack them in a bottom thirty poll at the end. :lol:

Please do!

Now that I think about it, it could be fun to also run a similar series of polls in "reverse normal survivor mode". Somehow come up with the x worst songs based on former polling data, and then vote songs off from best to worst.

We did once do a Worst Song Survivor years ago, which was basically the exact reverse of Survivor v1 - the whole bloody thing! Ran for ages. Schloop would've had a fit. If memory serves correctly, J. Swallow and Viva Davidoff contested the final, with Viva Davidoff winning.

At the end of this tournament, I'll see if it's possible to organise data in a coherent enough manner to have, say, rounds for the bottom songs of each decade feeding a "final" and we can give out a wooden spoon to some poor song.

That was a travesty, Viva Davidoff "winning". It only "won" because only about 10 people have ever heard it. It's a cool little tune.

Agreed. Though turns out I was slightly off and the final round was Viva Davidoff vs Theme From The Swan; J. Swallow came third.

Just dug up the old threads from 2005. We used a fairly unsophisticated system back then, before the seeding method was created. Each album got one song in the final, plus a few categories for non-album tracks. Some of the finalists look a bit baffling now:

The Ocean
Is That All?
Red Light
4th of July
Trip Through Your Wires
Love Rescue Me
TTTYAATW
The Wanderer
Theme From The Swan
The Playboy Mansion
Grace
One Step Closer
J. Swallow
Boomerang I
Race Against Time
Viva Davidoff
Flower Child

I'm just mystifled by The Wanderer, Boomerang I, and Flower Child in particular making the final.

Back
Top Bottom