Best Song Survivor: No Line On The Horizon Round II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song.

Welcome to the second round for No Line On The Horizon in Best Song Survivor! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 song. To do so, songs will be eliminated album-by-album in 24 hour long rounds to leave the favourites to contest a final that will determine the very favourite. The top three songs from this album will proceed to the 2000s semi-final. Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Due to dominating past tournaments and the inevitable likelihood that they will do the same this time, Where The Streets Have No Name and One are not in the tournament and can be assumed default equal #1 over and above the ultimate winner.

In NLOTH's first round, Stand Up Comedy got laughed out of the tournament. Thank you, I'll be here all week.

ORDER OF ELIMINATION
11. Stand Up Comedy

GRAND FINALISTS
1. New Year's Day
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Bad
5. With Or Without You
6. One Tree Hill
7. All I Want Is You
8. Until The End Of The World
9. The Fly
10. Zooropa
11. Stay
12. Gone

2000S SEMI-FINALISTS
1. Beautiful Day
2. Walk On
3. Kite
4. Vertigo
5. City Of Blinding Lights

LAST ROUND'S RESULTS
37 votes: Stand Up Comedy
24: Get On Your Boots
18: Cedars Of Lebanon
14: Crazy Tonight
12: White As Snow
7: Unknown Caller
5: Fez-Being Born
1: Magnificent, Moment Of Surrender
0: No Line On The Horizon, Breathe
(Total votes: 119)

Boots again.

Genuinely stunned by how strongly Cedars polled in the first round. It's one of the best songs on the album.

Unknown Caller until it's deader than the steak I just had for dinner.

Well I like my steak's medium-rare, boy (said in a Clint Eastwood style, gruff, low, threatening voice)

UC is the best song ever. So many layered meanings, perfect as the epilogue to MOS, and the chorus is entrancing. The lyrics work. They might seem clunky superficially, but so does, well, anything the Beatles put out post drug-haze.

I voted for GOYB. Once again, I love the song. The rhythm section is amazing, makes it 2100million times better than Vertigo, and the lyrics mean something. Also, the chorus takes it somewhere else.

Before you all say it, yes I realise it's 2.1 billion.

Only if you're using the small billion (i.e. a thousand million) rather than the large billion (i.e. a million million).

Only if you're using the small billion (i.e. a thousand million) rather than the large billion (i.e. a million million).

no.

That is wrong.

A billion is 1,000,000,000

A million million is a trillion (IE 1,000,000,000,000)

There is no such thing as a small and large billion anymore common usage makes long scale obsolete

^ I stand corrected after looking at wikipedia. SOME countries still use long scale.

Given that all English speaking nations use short scale as standard, and this is a primarily english speaking forum, I am comfortable with my assumption that 2100million is 2.1 billion

Stephen Hawking refers to a billion as a thousand million in A Brief History of Time. It bugs me a bit.

Our Gov still does a bit too. It's something people do to create the illusion of superiority or seem smarter because both forms exist. Like I said, few countries recognise long form, so it seems wanky to call anything a thousand million

^ I stand corrected after looking at wikipedia. SOME countries still use long scale.

Given that all English speaking nations use short scale as standard, and this is a primarily english speaking forum, I am comfortable with my assumption that 2100million is 2.1 billion

I don't speak English. I speak American. Texan, to be exact.

Our Gov still does a bit too. It's something people do to create the illusion of superiority or seem smarter because both forms exist. Like I said, few countries recognise long form, so it seems wanky to call anything a thousand million

Personally, I've always thought the reverse, that it sounds more impressive and superior to call something a "billion" rather than a "thousand million" or somebody a "billionaire" rather than just an exceptionally wealthy "millionaire", hence the rise of the short scale in common usage.

Personally, I've always thought the reverse, that it sounds more impressive and superior to call something a "billion" rather than a "thousand million" or somebody a "billionaire" rather than just an exceptionally wealthy "millionaire", hence the rise of the short scale in common usage.

Ah yes, but how can something be superior if it conforms to common usage. Superiority implies that once is a member of a minority that rises above common or average. Therefore if it is used for the mere purpose that it is the least used, then that implies it is used to promote superiority.

Either way, GOYB should go next

You're looking for a fight aren't you?
Absolutely. I have Chuck Norris on my side.
Ah yes, but how can something be superior if it conforms to common usage. Superiority implies that once is a member of a minority that rises above common or average. Therefore if it is used for the mere purpose that it is the least used, then that implies it is used to promote superiority.

Either way, GOYB should go next
Just because I enjoy eating something uncommon (say, lightbulbs) doesn't mean that my strange habit of eating lightbulbs makes me superior to non-lightbulb eaters.

Absolutely. I have Chuck Norris on my side.

Just because I enjoy eating something uncommon (say, lightbulbs) doesn't mean that my strange habit of eating lightbulbs makes me superior to non-lightbulb eaters.

No, but you are adding variables to my point. Ax thought one was superior, I thought the other was. Therefore, if either could be, logic says the least commonly used one will be the one that will be percieved to be superior to the norm.

If it's something rediculous, uncommon, or poorly regarded, of course it won't be superior.

Well I like my steak's medium-rare, boy (said in a Clint Eastwood style, gruff, low, threatening voice)

UC is the best song ever. So many layered meanings, perfect as the epilogue to MOS, and the chorus is entrancing. The lyrics work. They might seem clunky superficially, but so does, well, anything the Beatles put out post drug-haze.

I voted for GOYB. Once again, I love the song. The rhythm section is amazing, makes it 2100million times better than Vertigo, and the lyrics mean something. Also, the chorus takes it somewhere else.
:up:

Back
Top Bottom