Best Song Survivor: Atomic Bomb, Round Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Love and peace...
or else!! :angry:
I'm gonna cut you!

One of these days I'm gonna cut you into leedle pieces!

Love and Peace or else I'm gonna turn Violent!

Love And Peace Or Else stands out as the worst in this list of weak weak songs.

The inevitable likely means that Vertigo and COBL will be the survivors, and while the remaining songs are not necessarily equal in their respective degrees of mediocrity, a five-way tie is probably the most merciful result at this point.

Merciful, because as much as I agree with much of the criticism of this record (and have engaged in it myself), it feels a bit strange to see so much hate poured onto a U2 record on a U2 "fan" site. It's starting to feel like pile-on to me, so much so that I almost feel compelled to defend a record I really don't like.

Where is the spirited and articulate case for Bomb by someone who loves it? Surely there are some, it was after all an incredibly successful record and is responsible for creating more U2 fans than either ATYCLB or NLOTH as far as I know.

One of these days I'm gonna cut you into leedle pieces!

Floyd :up:

The inevitable likely means that Vertigo and COBL will be the survivors, and while the remaining songs are not necessarily equal in their respective degrees of mediocrity, a five-way tie is probably the most merciful result at this point.

Merciful, because as much as I agree with much of the criticism of this record (and have engaged in it myself), it feels a bit strange to see so much hate poured onto a U2 record on a U2 "fan" site. It's starting to feel like pile-on to me, so much so that I almost feel compelled to defend a record I really don't like.

Where is the spirited and articulate case for Bomb by someone who loves it? Surely there are some, it was after all an incredibly successful record and is responsible for creating more U2 fans than either ATYCLB or NLOTH as far as I know.

From the bloke who holds the record for highest number of negative posts about Pop...

From the bloke who holds the record for highest number of negative posts about Pop...

I said "pile-on". As in most everyone on here piling on one record. If I recall correctly, Pop had a number of defenders while I was criticising it, which is how it should be. I don't really see many people defending Bomb. Had everyone been piling on Pop as they are Bomb, I'd have made the same observation.

Perhaps in the future you could read what I actually wrote before responding. Better yet, comprehend it. I know you're a smart bloke.

Here's a question I hope someone can answer: I am looking at the running order for HTDAAB on my CD and noticed that Fast Cars was missing from Song Survivor Round one. I am curious as to why it was left off. Did I miss something?

I had this CD in my collection for several years before I gave it a good listen a few months back. Lyrically, I find it to be very introspective, reflective and probably very personal. I think I remember Bono saying that he thought he was going to write a war or anti war like record and it ended up being personal. I love the tracks Vertigo (it's just a fun song), OOTS and OSC (for which I have already commented on). I love the whole Spanish guitar flavor of Fast Cars. I also love Fast Cars working track of Xanax and Wine. AMAAW is a great song about the struggles of intra/interpersonal relationships. So when I listen to this collection of songs it's a good record--I do listen to it often.

But then I have to ask what is missing in this record? Even though this record may have been their most successful work of the 00's as Nick66 pointed out, for me, it's missing the spark of TUF, JT and AB. (I'll also throw Boy and War in that list as well). Is it the over production? Few risks? Maybe it's just too polished. I do like this record. It is a good record but if the records that I mentioned are held as a benchmark does it measure up? Is there a lot of criticism because many of those on this fan site are die hard U2 fans and it doesn't measure up to our expectation since we are looking at it through the vast spectrum of their body of work? I don't know...just asking.

Anyway, back to my orginal question: What happened to Fast Cars?

I think Fast Cars was only on the release in certain countries. It was not on the US release, and that's what Digitize is using, I believe.

Fast Cars was on the deluxe book-cd-dvd edition. And probably on the UK edition (like Ground Beneath was on the british ATYCLB) and for sure on the japanese regular edition.

When in doubt, check u2wanderer.

I said "pile-on". As in most everyone on here piling on one record. If I recall correctly, Pop had a number of defenders while I was criticising it, which is how it should be. I don't really see many people defending Bomb. Had everyone been piling on Pop as they are Bomb, I'd have made the same observation.

Perhaps in the future you could read what I actually wrote before responding. Better yet, comprehend it. I know you're a smart bloke.

And Nick, like we discussed in the past, what really really hurts HTDAAB is not even the mediocrity of the songs themselves, but the production, mixing and mastering.

That thing is barely listenable on CD. Loads of distortion, loudness, compression etc. It has no dynamics. It's flat. It's loud in excess.

You don't feel an urge to listen to it. It grates on one's nerves.

I have the vinyl and sometimes i do listen to it. But never on CD.

Yea, I was too lazy. I know it's not on my vinyl. Wish it was, one of the better songs from that era.

Not on vinyl. It really is considered a bonus track.

Btw, vinyl is the way to listen to bomb as i said on the previous post.

Fast Cars was the bonus track. It'll go (along with TGBHF) in the non-album round.

And Nick, like we discussed in the past, what really really hurts HTDAAB is not even the mediocrity of the songs themselves, but the production, mixing and mastering.

That thing is barely listenable on CD. Loads of distortion, loudness, compression etc. It has no dynamics. It's flat. It's loud in excess.

You don't feel an urge to listen to it. It grates on one's nerves.

I have the vinyl and sometimes i do listen to it. But never on CD.

Oh, I agree that Bomb sounds like crap, and has mastering issues, no doubt about it. And the production does grate on ones nerves. But that's just part of the problem. I've heard it on vinyl and while the sound is better, the songs aren't, at least to my ears.

It really doesn't matter to me which order these forgettable songs are voted off, I'd just really love to hear a full tilt defence of this record from someone who really loves it and is a fan, because I know they must be out there. Not because I want to challenge what they think of it, that's all opinion, but it seems like every U2 record has its champions on here except Bomb, and I'd like to hear another POV and not more pile on regarding how bad it is. A conversation where one person says "Bomb sucks" and everyone else chimes in with words in increasing degrees about how much, yes, Bomb sucks, holds no interest for me, I'd rather have my assumptions challenged. Even though I don't like Pop, it was interesting to hear why people loved it so much. I'd like to hear the same about this record.

It really doesn't matter to me which order these forgettable songs are voted off, I'd just really love to hear a full tilt defence of this record from someone who really loves it and is a fan, because I know they must be out there.

not quite a fan defense, but this review from The Onion -- hardly a U2 blowjob factory like Rolling Stone or Spin -- gets it just about right in my opinion:

In the period following U2's discovery of clatter and clang with Achtung Baby, a vocal minority of fans yearned for the clean, classic sound of the band's early days. As exciting as U2's years drawing from the information overload of irony-drenched end-of-the-century pop culture could be, the traditionalists seem to have won out in the end. The 1997 album Pop didn't pop, but 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind, with its earnest lyrics and sweeping guitar heroics, connected with a fresh take on the group's old style. Sometimes innovation gets overrated, and it's not like the band is all that safe even when playing it safe. Few acts could work on the large scale that U2 favors and not look silly: Nudged a little, The Edge could sound self-indulgent, and it's almost scary how little it would take for larger-than-life, heart-on-his-sleeve frontman Bono to resemble that guy from Live.

Yet in spite of the odds, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb finds U2 sounding just as passionate as it did on 1980's Boy, and just as committed to converting that passion into sprawling pop songs about God, love, and the world's injustices. Given the times and Bono's ascension to the status of a pop diplomat more likely to be seen with the Pope than Paris Hilton, it would be fair to expect an album loaded with political statements. Instead, they get folded into even bigger themes. Rather than a prophet on a hill, Bono just sounds like some friendly, well-meaning fellow when on "Love And Peace Or Else" he mixes vague talk of Middle East peace into a hope that everyone listening leave the earth with a "wrinkled face and a brand-new heart." "Crumbs From Your Table" begins as a plea to a neglectful lover, then quietly brings the same drama into the geopolitical arena.

The emphasis, however, remains on the human experience, and U2 always has the sound to match. The first single, "Vertigo," summons the nervous feeling of being somewhere late at night where there's too much going on—some of it tempting, some of it frightening, some of it unhealthy, and most of it somewhere in between. An exercise in quietude reminiscent of the Joshua Tree days, "One Step Closer" recalls the death of Bono's father to the accompaniment of what sounds like the first great rock hymn of the 21st century. When "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" builds on a slow Adam Clayton bassline, a between-the-notes Larry Mullen drum tap, and a Bono vocal that builds in drama until it explodes with the line "You're the reason why the opera is in me," as The Edge unfurls a muscular, angelic guitar line that only he could play, U2 secures its status as the Biggest Band On Earth, assuming the planet is still big enough to hold it.

U2: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb | Music | MusicalWork Review | The A.V. Club

I've been spending some time at The AV Club lately (I love their TV reviews), and had totally forgotten they're part of The Onion. Ha!

Back
Top Bottom