Best Song Survivor: 1990s/2000s Semifinal, Round Seven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's your thoughtful answer, you little prick?

Here's an idea. Why don't you stop following me around here, injecting yourself into things you're not involved with, and continued references to me in other threads when I'm not directing anything your way. It's starting to creep me out a little bit and feel like stalking.

Please, don't bother to reply.

Here's an idea. Why don't you stop following me around here, injecting yourself into things you're not involved with, and continued references to me in other threads when I'm not directing anything your way. It's starting to creep me out a little bit and feel like stalking.

Here is an even better idea for you: why don't you vanish from this place? Are you sadist-masochist? Why do you even come here when you know people despise you? You get the necessary energy to live your miserable life from picking online fights?

Stop with the pose, guy. People KNOW you here. Don't pretend ppl are stupid around here.

I'm done with you. There must be better things to do than exchanging messages with someone like you.

I'm done with you. There must be better things to do than exchanging messages with someone like you.

If only you were serious every time you said you were "done with" me, I would have been able to stop enduring these comments from you a year ago.

I truly hope your promise is genuine this time. Somehow I doubt it. Let's see.

Are you black? I hope so, because there's nothing quite so sad as a white kid running around saying "nigga" and using the fact that some hip-hop or rap star uses it as his get out of jail free card. It makes it look like your really want to use that word, and are just using music as your excuse.

Here's some advice: Don't do that. It's not fun, it's tasteless. There's a lot of songs you could quote, but a quick search show that for some reason you like to quote songs with "nigga" in them quite a bit. I actually don't think you're a bigot COBL, I really don't. And despite our disagreements on here I respect your musical knowledge. You're obnoxious, yes, but not a bigot. So don't do things that might make you look like one. And don't get to the point where you're comfortable with verbiage like that.

But maybe I'm wrong. Any Hive members feel like coming in an backing up the Cobbler on this one?

I'd like to engage you on this one actually. I am white. I don't use the word in casual conversation or whatever but I am a massive hip-hop fan as you know and often sing/rap hip-hop tracks, just like I would any other song that pops into my head. I don't see what the big deal is? I quote those songs because I love them. I quote Samuel L Jackson's lines from Django Unchained because they were funny.

Kanye West gets crowds of tens of thousands to scream the line "MJ gone / our nigga dead" at every show he does.

I've always found it extremely odd that if someone sings a line containing the word that all of a sudden they're ignorant, or bigoted, or whatever, when they're just singing a song they like :shrug:

I'd like to engage you on this one actually. I am white. I don't use the word in casual conversation or whatever but I am a massive hip-hop fan as you know and often sing/rap hip-hop tracks, just like I would any other song that pops into my head. I don't see what the big deal is? I quote those songs because I love them. I quote Samuel L Jackson's lines from Django Unchained because they were funny.

Kanye West gets crowds of tens of thousands to scream the line "MJ gone / our nigga dead" at every show he does.

I've always found it extremely odd that if someone sings a line containing the word that all of a sudden they're ignorant, or bigoted, or whatever, when they're just singing a song they like :shrug:

Hmmm. Well, perhaps you're right. While I definitely appreciate and respect good hip-hop music, I can't pretend to be as familiar with the culture as you are (though yeah, I know how prevalent that word is). I guess I'd ask if your black friends are comfortable with you using it? I really don't know. I can't think of a single Africa-American colleague or friend of mine who would appreciate me using it any context.

I guess I have mixed feelings about it, because I'm a bit of free speech absolutist, and am uncomfortable with there being certain words people cant say, especially in context. I actually think people can be way too sensitive about a lot of topics. But on the other hand, that word has such power in our society that the baggage that goes with it often can overwhelm context. I just think that in this case it's better to avoid using it altogether. Perhaps there's a double standard, but I know that in the African-American community use and "ownership" of the term is a kind of empowerment. But otherwise...hmmmm. I don't know. As a personal decision, I wouldn't use the word in any context, except perhaps an academic one. I do think there's a difference between people singing along at a Kayne West concert and using it in a venue like this or casual conversation.

Would you use "faggot", for any reason, because it's a common word in certain types of music? I'm not equating the terms, just kind of thinking about it out loud.

In any event, as I said at the beginning, I don't think you're a bigot, which is why I responded to you the way I did (rather than something stronger). I'm just saying you might want to think about it before you say it, and consider that the internet is forever, and you might regret it one day. Most people don't want to hear about context when it comes to that word, and aren't interested in why you said it, they're just going to make instant assumptions about you. You might not care, but perhaps someday you will. Just a thought.

Anyway, this discussion perhaps belongs in Free Your Mind. Thanks for the civiil exchange and perhaps we both have something to think about. :up:

We can go back to arguing about U2 now.

Does Cobbler have black friends? It's a question that has kept me up many a night. Admittedly, I could have just asked him.

I'm no moderator, but I'd really appreciate it if things would calm down a bit here. Also, I would appreciate it if ethnic slurs could be avoided in any form here. But I'm not a moderator; those are just my requests.

I'm not really sure why they were brought up in the first place. If you have a problem, address it in the thread where the problem is, but don't carry it over to a discussion about U2 songs where it holds no context. :huh:

Out of line or not, it was fun to read someone calling Nick a little prick.

Could he change his handle to Prick66?

When I think frothy, there's only one thing I think of:

pitbull-bud-light-o.gif

Fwiw the vast majority of black people with a shred of dignity and self respect don't run around calling each other the n word and for the life of me I can't imagine why a white person would ever use it in any context period. When it comes up in what my son tries to pass off as music I shut that shit down pretty quick. And yes, I like Kanye and other artists that even use it. I hate that they do though, it's senseless and the whole empowerment thing is a giant crock of shit according to same large majority of self respecting black people who disapprove.

Sorry cobbler, but if your two black friends don't call you out for using it, they are morons.

And frankly I don't understand why it stands on this board, for the record.

Does Cobbler have black friends? It's a question that has kept me up many a night. Admittedly, I could have just asked him.

Kind of. They performed a Jackson 5 song for Harry Connick Jr once on a popular Australian variety show

Know what I like to do, you guys? whenever 'nigga' comes up in a rap song I'm singing, I substitute 'honky' and hilarity ensues

I find the worst thing you can do when talking about people of another race is to make any sweeping generalizations about them. You know something like, "All black people with self-respect hate the word 'nigga.'" But maybe that's just my crazy, young, liberal self saying crazy shit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom