Best of 90-2000 RS Review: 4 Stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Since RS starting rating compilations, I checked to see if there was one for BO902000. Whaddaya know? They like it. Four stars, here's the review from rollingstone.com

Two new songs, classic cuts, plus a remixed look at the band's third decade once you absorb the idea that the sixteen tracks on The Best of 1990-2000 aren't the best songs U2 recorded during that decade, you can really start enjoying it. Aware that even the band's most casual fans probably own Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind, U2 ransack Zooropa and Pop for their strongest material, remix four songs and come up with two new ones (notably "Electrical Storm," a dizzying collaboration with William Orbit). The result feels surprisingly coherent, both familiar and fresh. Triumphs such as "One" and "Beautiful Day" retain their seductive power, while the reworked versions of "Gone" and "Discotheque" reveal what Pop might have been.
B-Sides, predictably, is less consistently satisfying. Ten of its fourteen tracks are remixes, all edges in search of a center. It also cheats a bit, offering an old remix of "Numb," for example, which is newly remixed on the Best of disc. That said, the "extended dance mix" of "Lady With the Spinning Head" is propulsive and fun, and "Summer Rain" will prove a find for anyone who didn't hear it on the "Beautiful Day" single.

The two discs, then, neatly sum up U2's extraordinary journey in the Nineties, when the band sometimes went too far if only to ensure that it always went far enough.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Aware that even the band's most casual fans probably own Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind, U2 ransack Zooropa and Pop for their strongest material.

I never thought of it that way before. :hmm:

Anyway, 4 stars is pretty good!

i dont give a darn!

i thought we werent caring what major publications thought this week?

Re: i dont give a darn!

kobayashi said:
i thought we werent caring what major publications thought this week?

When it's good, we can care. :p :D

Well, seriously, I guess it really doesn't matter what they say...but it is always nice to see good reviews! :)

UnforgettableLemon said:
...once you absorb the idea that the sixteen tracks on The Best of 1990-2000 aren't the best songs U2 recorded during that decade, you can really start enjoying it.

So true!

The two discs, then, neatly sum up U2's extraordinary journey in the Nineties, when the band sometimes went too far if only to ensure that it always went far enough.

Good analogy.

Nice review...not bad at all...:yes:

:D

i have a question: i've never read maxim, and it's been so long since i've read RS: what's 4 stars? dumb question, i know. i'll elaborate: what's the max: 4 stars or 5? i know some say 4 stars is excellent, and some say 5 is.

oh yeah, and spin can suck my right buttcheek. not for the 8/10 rating, but because they've been sucking lately. after subscribing to their magazine since like 1995, i didn't renew this year. :grumpy:

i was starting to expect bsb to be on the cover of spin.

Re: Re: i dont give a darn!

Bonochick said:

When it's good, we can care. :p :D

Well, seriously, I guess it really doesn't matter what they say...but it is always nice to see good reviews! :)

got it:up:

KhanadaRhodes said:
i have a question: i've never read maxim, and it's been so long since i've read RS: what's 4 stars? dumb question, i know. i'll elaborate: what's the max: 4 stars or 5? i know some say 4 stars is excellent, and some say 5 is.

oh yeah, and spin can suck my right buttcheek. not for the 8/10 rating, but because they've been sucking lately. after subscribing to their magazine since like 1995, i didn't renew this year. :grumpy:

i was starting to expect bsb to be on the cover of spin.

4 is Excellent, and 5 (the max) is Classic.

I hate Spin. :|

I'd say 4 stars is a great ranking for a compilation album. I think RS is right on the money, at least in this case. Of course I still think the magazine is a pile of :censored: most of the time these days.

Q MAGAZINE..... gave 'em 4 stars (Excellent) but did say the 17 track CD was "....dreadfully sequenced" but funny enough they only put them at No. 9 out of the Top 10 releases of the month.........behind the likes of Nirvana, Elvis Costello, The Stone Roses............and some I never heard of.
Go Figure!!!!:scratch: :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom