Best Bono Speech/Rant during song?l,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry bout first post! Pressed enter key bit too soon...

What is peoples fav. rant/speech from bono from any live show? I am guessing Sunday Bloody Sunday speech is up there, but for me, Bono's rant during BTBS from Elevation 2001 Boston show is amazing!

Interested to know what other people think!

Mine would be from the Elevation concert in Boston for BTBS.

Pull the trigger on a rock and roll ******
Who's bigger then Jesus on a bumper sticker.

Thats like my favorite line.

My favourite has got to be from "Out of Control" in Elevation - Slane Castle Special! not because of the actual words (since i can think of so many better Bono-rants) but the sentimental value was pretty high.... you know, how he thanked his father and every one else's family, couple of days after his death...... I don't know maybe I'm just a sucker for the sentimental stuff!:D

Defintly The Two Sunday Bloody Sundays

the first from Rattle & Hum Movie, and the other from
Slane Castle 1-9-01, the uncut version (audience recording)

I would have to agree SBS from R&H as well, i was watching it last night in fact.

Just the way when he screams 'NO MORE!!!' and almost loses his voice doing so...you can sense the anger and frustration and desperation in his voice...sends shivers down your spine.

:)

I enjoy it in the Save the Yuppie concert where Bono goes off on some guy for holding a sign that says "SF" on it because he thinks it's for Sinn Fein. He goes off on the guy.

I think Bono forgot they were playing in San Francisco.....

one thing that always flips me out is when bono, in rattle and hum says, "ok edge, play the blues..." and as he walks away throws the mic down behind him.

i mean, it really, really flips me out...in a good way. a really good way.

SBS (R&H)
Silver and Gold (R&H)
BTBS (Boston DVD)

SBS (Turino 2001.07.21)
BTBS (Turino 2001.07.21)
Silver and Gold (1987.11.07)

bonosgirl84 said:
one thing that always flips me out is when bono, in rattle and hum says, "ok edge, play the blues..." and as he walks away throws the mic down behind him.

i mean, it really, really flips me out...in a good way. a really good way.

:yes:...I think that's rather funny.

Originally posted by u2popmofo
I enjoy it in the Save the Yuppie concert where Bono goes off on some guy for holding a sign that says "SF" on it because he thinks it's for Sinn Fein. He goes off on the guy.

Who's Sinn Fein?

Angela

Desert_Sky said:
I would have to agree SBS from R&H as well, i was watching it last night in fact.

Just the way when he screams 'NO MORE!!!' and almost loses his voice doing so...you can sense the anger and frustration and desperation in his voice...sends shivers down your spine.

:)

Indeed. This gets my vote. Some of my students wanted to know why I loved U2 so much, so we watched SBS from R&H and they were like :ohmy: . And I was like :ohmy: . And to think, they weren't sure whether or not to include that song in the film.

HeartlandGirl said:

Indeed. This gets my vote. Some of my students wanted to know why I loved U2 so much, so we watched SBS from R&H and they were like :ohmy: . And I was like :ohmy: . And to think, they weren't sure whether or not to include that song in the film.

I'm like that everytime i see it...last time i watched it my eyes welled up - i'm not really sure why, i guess its because i could sense Bono felt hurt and helpless.....
i sound silly i know.

Desert_Sky said:
I'm like that everytime i see it...last time i watched it my eyes welled up - i'm not really sure why, i guess its because i could sense Bono felt hurt and helpless.....
i sound silly i know.

Not silly at all...I've felt a slight lump in my throat when I've heard that speech before. I wouldn't be surprised if Bono's eyes were teary when he gave that speech and sang that song that night.

Originally posted by Desert_Sky
The equivilant of the IRA's political party.

Oh.

Angela

My fave is London ZooTV, August 12, 1992 ( I think that's the right date) during BTBS:

"Outside it's Americaaaaa!
AMERICAAAAA, Where the fuck are you?
United Kingdom...Fuck you!
Fuck you Germany!
Fuck you France!
Zoonited Nations!
Zoonited Nations!
Zoonited Nations!!!

And we run...into the arms...of America..."

This was right after one of the Sarajevo uplinks where there were 2 girls, and they blasted the West over their lack of involvement in Bosnia. You could tell Bono was upset afterwards, and the sang Bad/The First Time, and then during BTBS, I guess it sorta boiled over.

Desert_Sky said:

i sound silly i know.

I get like that too, and probably lots of other people too. Not silly a'tall! Just another example of Bono's ability to reach people.

fuck the revolution...

deffinetly... because the emotion is so real, and it was quite the risk to say it.

the thing on john lennon/mark david chapman that he put in durring BTBS that he put in on the last few shows of the first elevation leg... i consider it more poetry than a rant :shrug:

another one of my favorites is "well the God I believe in isn't short of cash mister"

I'm surprised no one has mentioned all the great Bono-ranting in "People get Ready." I used to use "If you can't live together in here, you cannot live together out there" in my signature.

Back
Top Bottom