Am I The Only One Who Loves THBAO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoisonStream

Babyface
Yeah, it's kind of cheesy in an 80s sort of way, and yes, it's a transparent pop song on an album usually described as being a hard-hiting political statement (a label that kind of falls apart after Track 4, but whatever...:huh:). But for some reason, this is the one song on War that I find myself enjoying the most on repeated listens, and the one I often listen to again after the album is over. It seems to reflect the seemingly boundless energy and enthusiasm of the group in their youth, and all four are really on fire throughout the entire song. Listening to Edge on this track, you'd think his hands, guitar, and mind had fused together into a single instrument. Adam delivers a memorable bassline, and Larry's drumming is well...decent enough. :wink:

Okay, so the chorus is a little cliche, and I think Bono's pipes are on the verge of giving out near the end, but this song, for me at least, stands out like an oasis on War's wildly inconsistent second half, squashed as it is between "Refugee" and "Red Light." I was kind of surprised to hear that it isn't well loved by most fans. Victim of the "less-than-serious song on a serious album" syndrome, perhaps? :scratch:

I like that song, its not sooooooo bad. But everytime I hear it I picture poor Peter Rowan looking extermely confused in that music video...but like all U2 music videos, its was unintentionally hilarious (expect SYCMIOYO, that wasn't very funny)

It's a fantastic tune, another song U2 have never come close to matching, and should be a respected part of the canon. Incredible vocal....would be a welcome return to a live set.

When I saw the title I thought you were talking about The Hands That Built America... damn acronyms! Yeah I do like Two Hearts but not nearly as much as most songs on that album.

That and 11 'O Clock Tick-Tock from the Red Rocks Video. Actually that whole concert. Can't get ANY better than that. So much energy, like I've never heard.

I read in a music magazine recently (can't remember which one now, but at the time I quoted it) I think it was a list of greatest vocalists ever or something... anyways.... they gave this song as one of the best examples ever of Bono's amazing vocals.

Anyways I love the song.

I personally love this song. Live performances showed the full energy and enthusiasm of U2.

THBAO is the sound of a young hungry band burning thru a rushing punk-influenced R&B number...it's awesome. You are not the only one.

very good song, not my fave from the era, but good nonetheless. Great passionate vocal and one of their better videos.

i guess i win a medal for figuring out immediately what the acronym stood for :tongue:

this is probably one of my least favourite songs off war. but it's not THAT bad. war's just a great album.

Whew. Glad to see I'm not crazy. Of the four U2 albums I currently own, I always end up liking Track 7 the most - THBAO, Bad, In God's Country, and The Fly, each on their respective albums. Personally, I think War would have been a better album if, through an act of time travel, they'd replaced Red Light with Wire. Perhaps some enterprising soul could remove the guitar delay from that track - it's basically the only thing that separates it from being a genuine War-era song. The Refugee is dumb fun, but Red Light? That's just audaciously bad! :shame:

Havent listened to it in a long time now. Never been a huge fan of it but I don't dislike it either. Like A Song is the standout track on the album for me.

Love it. Funny, I've actually felt a need to go back to War again. Two Hearts is great and needs to be brought back live. :yes:

Am I the only one looking at the thread title and going Tuh-baa-o!!? What an absolutely awful acronym! :happy: :wink:

It's a travesty that it hasn't been played in almost 20 years (December 29, 1989, was its last performance, I believe). It's one of my favorites from that era, and I'm hopeful it might make a comeback on the next tour.

Back
Top Bottom