Album Thoughts, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NebraskaU2

The Fly
Just wondering what peoples thoughs on the new album are now thatthey have had a few days to let it sink in.

I think that HTDAAB is U2's best work since Achtung Baby and possibly since The Joshua Tree. Bono's vocal performance seems more soulful than on the past few album. This is a fine group of songs, it is hard to pick out any standouts as they are all great!

Do you guys think it will live up to the hype? I certainly do I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a U2 release and I have been a fan for a lot of years.

Robert

I can't keep these songs outta my head. I mean, its not one or two songs, its all of them. I don't know if that means it has lived up to the hype, but it has meant a lot to me. It is really hard nowadays in the music industry to let records ride the wave of their greatness. It too too commercial, next please! I hope everyone can look back on this album in 5 years and say truly that ir is some of the best U2 has ever done. But I also hope U2 aren't done trying to create their best ever. :hmm:

I sit down and say to myself, ahhhhh I will just listen to a couple of songs off the album then go do something else, before you know it I've nearly listened to the whole bloody thing again.

I'm trying hard not to wear it out. I listened to the news on the car ride home from work today, just so I could hear the songs in my mind while I listened to something else.

I am really enjoying the album and have been listening to it every chance I get. I realized one thing since I heard this album, I really didn't love ATYCLB. This one blows it away so far for me however, that wasn't my initial impression.

ATYCLB wasn't so great and the few songs that were good got so commercialized I can't listen to them any more, namely the first three tracks. I am hoping that this doesn't happen with this album but I suspect it will.

I like the album and I find myself singing lines from various songs at various points of the day. It also took me only a couple of listens to like the album as opposed to having to listen over and over to get use to the songs.

Are U2 brain-washing us!!!! :ohmy:

Seems like we are all recalling parts of every one of these tunes throughout the day. If they are brain-washing, then I am totally for it!!

whitehead said:
Are U2 brain-washing us!!!! :ohmy:

I think so. I had SYCMIOYO and AMAAW stuck in my head during exams today. Not that I objected, though!

I was singing "A Man and a Woman" all day at work today. I was listening to the album all day while I was typing a paper for school, then as soon as I got in my car to drive to work, "vertigo" was playing. AFter the song, the DJ talked about the new album and that everyone should check out the video for Vertigo because it was awesome, really cool effects. World domination is about to begin again.

Yep, it's getting ridiculous. I find myself singing bits and pieces of various songs at work (not just a song in particular, that's the interesting thing). And I realized that sometimes I'm singing a bit louder than I should. :huh: I honestly can't remember the last time this happened to me with any album from any band.

Well, I have a mixed feelings about this new album, to be honest :sad: :ohmy:.

City Of Blinding Lights is by far their best song since the extraordinary Please :yes:, and other songs are great as well, like Miracle Drug and Crums For Your Table. But on the other hand I found some filler stuff that really upset me, like One Step Closer, A Man And A Woman, Love And Peace Or Else, etc :rant:

So really I have a mixed feelings about this new album, could have been 10 times better if Bono wouldn´t have talked too much about their "best album ever" and all that shit, and he really were 100% looking for the best compositions and lyrics in his mind all these years. But he wasted a lot of time in all this propaganda. Every band who releases a new album say the same :( words, you know "Our finest record, masterpiece", etc

Totally love it. I've listened to it many times and it keeps growing in beauty and stature.

I'm repeating City of Blinding Lights for the fourth time in a row right now because it's such an astonishing song.

Yeah, I think this album lives up to the hype. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that the tour is going to be phenomenal.

there is no filler on this album....One Step Closer is most definitly not filler. It is one of the best songs.

these songs are going to take on a whole new life in a live setting.

All U2 albums always have taken me a long time to get into except for The Joshua Tree. Oddly enough, it's one of my least played U2 albums, but I still love the songs.

Many U2 songs still have the same intimate feelings they had when I first heard them. Especially songs that are not Top 40 'hits', i.e. Numb (esp. on Melon -- Soul Assassins remix) it was very House of Pain-like, a lot of stuff on Melon was great, especially Stay and Salome, unfortunately Pop was too deadline limited -- it could have been better, there are so many amazing songs in there.

The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack was also pretty amazing. "Like a Song", "Acrobat", "Stay" and "Lemon" are a few of my favorite tunes overall.

The PopMart Tour was also amazing, it looked much better in person than off video. Not only had they fine-tuned the songs, but that screen was amazing, the video didn't capture it. I liked the larger than life concept of it. To me U2 are larger than life, but they're also just ordinary people in some ways (but with large bank accounts).

ATYCLB threw me for a loop because I expected something more. I thought U2 had really mellowed out. The new album is a good compromise between the two ideals of tech and raw.

I hope they continue on the path they're on, they could be better than the Rolling Stones (although I hope I don't have to pay as much to see U2.)

'I'm not sure if money buys happiness, but I'd like to know for sure.' -- Me.

Nate

I like the songs. The lyrics vary between pretty good and unbelievably awful. Perhaps because of this I don't think it hangs together as an album very well. There's no narrative.

I love Love and Peace, however it's one time where the Edge holding back is actually detrimental to the song. There's a distorted overdub before the 'solo' which kicks in, then the solo doesn't go anywhere, just the same repeating lick over with a few variations. Last Night on Earth did the same thing, built up and went nowhere.

Original of the Species seems rushed. There's too many words and not enough space in songs. Verse, Bridge and chorus all jumble right on top of each other. the rip from hey jude at the end is cringeworthy.

Yahweh is a good song, but the lyrics not so much. Too in your face, faith is best behind a reflected mirror not shoved down your throat. Nice musically though.

City of blinding lights is class. All because of you is great (although not liking the double vocal too much, it distracts from the melody too much same on crumbs)

Miracle Drug is good, but again the lyrics are awful. The "God I need your help tonight" part and the guitar is great.

Sometimes...is a phenominal song. As is one step. Fast Cars is great as well (though a little murky)

Personally, I think and hope they've got another gear in them. It sounds like the lyrics were written in 5 minutes, for a man rueing all the horrible rhyming couplets of the eighties, the b-mans tried very so hard to recapture them here.

Last edited:
popshopper said:

I love Love and Peace, however it's one time where the Edge holding back is actually detrimental to the song. There's a distorted overdub before the 'solo' which kicks in, then the solo doesn't go anywhere, just the same repeating lick over with a few variations. Last Night on Earth did the same thing, built up and went nowhere.

Excuse me, but WHAT THE FUCK are you talking about? Love and Peace solo doesn't go anywhere? Obviously you and I listened to a different song. The solo varies quite a bit at the ending, when Larry starts that intense drum part.

Ok after my first listen, stand-outs are SYCMIOYO, which potentially could end up being a classic, ABOY, LAPOE and One Step Closer (what are the bashers on about??) also, Yahweh is far better than I anticipated given the amount of bashing I've seen.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Try posting with a little more variety..:)

Try playing it better and i'll give you variety, kid. But as long as you are boring i'll only have one comment.

So...again: you are boring.

Everytime I listen to it again I find another song that I start to love.
It's always exciting hearing u2 albums no matter how much you have listened to the songs before imo. Last week I re-discovered how great AB is. No other band does that for me. :drool:

U2_Guy said:

Try playing it better and i'll give you variety, kid. But as long as you are boring i'll only have one comment.

So...again: you are boring.

Can anyone join this arguement?

Back
Top Bottom