Album 13 Talk: Let's keep it civil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any Canadians that actually say "sorry" rather than "sorrey"?

Or how would you spell that - "soary"?

I've only been to Canada once, and that was to BC, but I heard a lot of "soary" while I was there.

CK - linking to a Justin Guarini song when I am clearly referencing Elton John?

That's a paddlin' bannin'.

jasper.jpg

The more West you go in Canada, the more you hear the 'aboot' accent, and even that is a gross exaggeration of how it sounds.

We grow up here learning to speak and even write in ways that are holdovers from our British heritage as a country. We write words like 'behavior' as 'behaviour', and similarly, we actually pronounce the 'ou' sounds like they actually have an 'o' and a 'u' in them. This is dissimilar to a lot of our southern neighbours who tend to pronounce the 'ou' sounds like there's an 'a' in there somewhere, especially in New England and Chicago. So while we say 'harbour' up here, a Bostonian sounds like he's saying 'hahbah' to our ears. It's no wonder actually pronouncing o's and u's like o's and u's sounds so distinct to the 'ah' crowd.

Watching a MuchMusic interview with No Doubt back in the day, I remembered Gwen Stefani complaining to the interviewer that we Canadians kept saying 'No Doot', but it was really 'No Daht! No DAHHHT!'. I realized then and there that it wasn't really pronounced either way, but if you were to err on the side of the actually spelling, I'd still go with 'oo' over 'ah'. That's just me, but it come from Scottish stock.

3 pages in and I'll add the first thing about U2 to the thread.

My brother worked security at the Miley Cyrus concert in Boston last night and ran into an old co worker of ours (I used to do concert security all around New England).

This particular coworker now works for U2 tour security (has since the Vertigo tour) and he told my brother that they "wouldn't be doing anything in the US until 2015." So pretty much fits in with what we've been figuring here.

My brother only talked briefly to him, and they'll see each other again and talk more in about a week.

Of course, anything else of note that comes up, I will post here.

3 pages in and I'll add the first thing about U2 to the thread.

My brother worked security at the Miley Cyrus concert in Boston last night and ran into an old co worker of ours (I used to do concert security all around New England).

This particular coworker now works for U2 tour security (has since the Vertigo tour) and he told my brother that they "wouldn't be doing anything in the US until 2015." So pretty much fits in with what we've been figuring here.

My brother only talked briefly to him, and they'll see each other again and talk more in about a week.

Of course, anything else of note that comes up, I will post here.

The amount of disappoint is large.

I was spoiled by the 360 tour during those summers. Every summer since has felt lacking

We all were. It's only been three years since they toured, but it seems longer than that. The next time they come around we'll have to just take an extra moment and soak it all in.

So while we say 'harbour' up here, a Bostonian sounds like he's saying 'hahbah' to our ears. It's no wonder actually pronouncing o's and u's like o's and u's sounds so distinct to the 'ah' crowd.

That's because Bostonians really are saying 'hahbah'. That's just before they go on ovuh to a Hahvid bah to pick up some Hahvid honeys.

I'm scared that a Justin Guarini song popped into your head.

I mean, I watched From Justin to Kelly, but I could not name a song of his if my life depended on it.

That's the only one I know. I was in college when he & Kelly were on Idol and my younger sister played that song CONSTANTLY. :doh:

That said, I never watched From Justin To Kelly. :lol:

That's the only one I know. I was in college when he & Kelly were on Idol and my younger sister played that song CONSTANTLY. :doh:

That said, I never watched From Justin To Kelly. :lol:

Ok, I'll admit I've seen this movie. And I did so just to see how awful it truly was. Kelly was actually pretty good. The rest, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom