Album 13: Shit Gets Real

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you wish it would be those damn headphones now, right?

U2 is doing an ad where all the money goes to an incredible cause. They are getting no money themselves, only some free publicity.

The only difference between this ad and the Vertigo ad is that it's cool to like Apple and not cool to like a bank.

Reality is Apple has some very shady business dealings and human rights issues themselves, as many large companies do. And this ad is actually more socially responsible by a country mile than the vertigo ad, which resulted only in profits for Apple and U2 (via iPod sales and iTunes downloads).

2004 ad = strictly for profit, yet done with giant corporation that people think is cool, so okay

2014 ad = 24 million dollar donation (and growing) to worthy cause, giving away 2 million downloads without seeing a dime, but with a giant corporation that people don't think is cool, so its baaaaad. Very bad.

At halftime of the Super Bowl, the score is Perception 7, Reality 0.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Apparently Bono confirmed on Irish radio this morning that Invisible is on the new album, according to atU2's twitter feed

This can't be true. The Slow Loris said that they're going to wait to see how it does before deciding if it goes on the album!

Also, folks, even though the song is being given away for free, it can still chart because it's being downloaded. Therefore, it's a single. Since it's on the album, it's a LEAD single. Apparently some of you still think that lead time is 4 months.

You wouldn't make good band managers.

:lol: So because of some bullshit rumours that have been debunked years ago,

Ok well just to clarify they did indeed move their a significant portion of their business to a different tax base, and the move was to be more tax efficient. They have outright stated that. A more unsophisticated adjective might be 'dodge', true, but the main purpose of the move, at it's core, was to pay less tax.

I don't necessarily agree with the rest of the perception idea that was being expanded on, but that point bears mentioning. They did it, and took some amount of a pr hit in the public for it.

Mark Romanek's video resume is impressive. Criminal, Hurt, and 99 Problems are classics.

"99 Problems" (director's cut) by Jay-Z
"Faint" by Linkin Park
"Can't Stop" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Hurt" by Johnny Cash
"Cochise" (director's cut) by Audioslave
"Hella Good" (director's cut) by No Doubt
"God Gave Me Everything" by Mick Jagger
"Got 'Til It's Gone" by Janet Jackson
"Criminal" by Fiona Apple
"The Perfect Drug" by Nine Inch Nails
"Devils Haircut" by Beck
"El Scorcho" (director's cut) by Weezer
"Novocaine for the Soul" by Eels
"Little Trouble Girl" by Sonic Youth
"Scream" (director's cut) by Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson
"Bedtime Story" by Madonna
"Strange Currencies" by R.E.M.
"Cold Beverage" by G. Love & Special Sauce
"Closer" (director's cut) by Nine Inch Nails
"Jump They Say" by David Bowie
"Rain" by Madonna
"Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz
"Wicked as It Seems" (director's cut) by Keith Richards
"Free Your Mind" by En Vogue
"Constant Craving" by k.d. lang

Epic Fail - You forgot to List Coldplay - Speed of Sound

:|:wink:

Ok well just to clarify they did indeed move their a significant portion of their business to a different tax base, and the move was to be more tax efficient. They have outright stated that. A more unsophisticated adjective might be 'dodge', true, but the main purpose of the move, at it's core, was to pay less tax.

I don't necessarily agree with the rest of the perception idea that was being expanded on, but that point bears mentioning. They did it, and took some amount of a pr hit in the public for it.

I know, I can show you where it's located as it's in Amsterdam. :wink:

But the point is, the whole rumour was about they were tax dodgers and refused to pay tax back at home. Which simply isn't true, they pay plenty of tax in Ireland still. Yet that rumour is still there, people still bitch about them tax dodgers... I really don't think U2 should give a shit about the stupid rumour and let it influence their business decisions.

Also, folks, even though the song is being given away for free, it can still chart because it's being downloaded. Therefore, it's a single. Since it's on the album, it's a LEAD single. Apparently some of you still think that lead time is 4 months.

Ordinary Love was available to buy as an individual track on itunes - does that make it a (non-album) single as well, by the same logic?

i quite like the idea of people making a song a single just thru liking it and choosing to buy/download it, whether it was intended as one or not

For them to do all of this for one song and the journalist saying Bono was blasting "invisible", singing, and playing air guitar I think it's safe to say the band are more than confident in the material. I just want to hear something from Danger Mouse.

Mark Romanek's video resume is impressive. Criminal, Hurt, and 99 Problems are classics.

"99 Problems" (director's cut) by Jay-Z
"Faint" by Linkin Park
"Can't Stop" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Hurt" by Johnny Cash
"Cochise" (director's cut) by Audioslave
"Hella Good" (director's cut) by No Doubt
"God Gave Me Everything" by Mick Jagger
"Got 'Til It's Gone" by Janet Jackson
"Criminal" by Fiona Apple
"The Perfect Drug" by Nine Inch Nails
"Devils Haircut" by Beck
"El Scorcho" (director's cut) by Weezer
"Novocaine for the Soul" by Eels
"Little Trouble Girl" by Sonic Youth
"Scream" (director's cut) by Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson
"Bedtime Story" by Madonna
"Strange Currencies" by R.E.M.
"Cold Beverage" by G. Love & Special Sauce
"Closer" (director's cut) by Nine Inch Nails
"Jump They Say" by David Bowie
"Rain" by Madonna
"Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz
"Wicked as It Seems" (director's cut) by Keith Richards
"Free Your Mind" by En Vogue
"Constant Craving" by k.d. lang

:up: cool! looking forward to seeing it!

I understand the concern but don't quite get the furor over U2 working with BofA. Bono has long said he'll work with anyone regardless of politics if they help the cause. Despite BofA's sullied history, their contribution to this is a good thing.

Some of you may think that this charitable act is just a PR smokescreen for BofA, and hey, you may be right, but this PR smokescreen is going to measurably and tangibly improve the lives of millions in need.

Apparently Bono confirmed on Irish radio this morning that Invisible is on the new album, according to atU2's twitter feed

You would actually quote and believe Bono when a good percentage of this board is telling you this single has nothing to do with this album and of course it won't be out until...... June ........Falll.....2015, very very disappointed with you Mister. Your clouding this board with logic and clarity.

Now get the fuck out.

anyone else surprised that Declan Gaffney isn't mixing Invisible?

A taste of Tom Elmhirst.. who also did Ordinary Love.. and presumably the whole record. Can you say, "in demand"?

Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Adele - 21
HAIM - Days are Gone
Florence and the Machine - Ceremonials
Black Keys - Camino
The Kills - Midnight Boom - Mixes
Adele - 19
Róisín Murphy - Overpowered
Lily Allen - Alright, Still
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Mark Ronson - Version
Paolo Nutini - These Streets
Hot Chip - The Warning
Erasure - Nightbird
Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood

I understand the concern but don't quite get the furor over U2 working with BofA. Bono has long said he'll work with anyone regardless of politics if they help the cause. Despite BofA's sullied history, their contribution to this is a good thing.

Some of you may think that this charitable act is just a PR smokescreen for BofA, and hey, you may be right, but this PR smokescreen is going to measurably and tangibly improve the lives of millions in need.

One of the great and maybe even unique things about Bono in comparison to other publicly vocal artist-activists is that he has figured out a way to sit down at a boardroom table and see the people across the way from him, not the evil corporation per se.

These execs that made the decision to be on board with this..they are people also. Probably from both sides of the political spectrum so to speak. Yes, they would almost assuredly be counting on the side benefit of the promotion, if they are good at their jobs they would...and hence why they wouldn't entertain this idea from just any band using just any song. But at it's core, I think they're also very likely people with a decent spot in their hearts who believe like Bono, that something should be done and this is how we can help. They probably even genuinely like the song, which I'm sure they've heard, and/or U2's music in general.

It's a good thing.

anyone else surprised that Declan Gaffney isn't mixing Invisible?

A taste of Tom Elmhirst.. who also did Ordinary Love.. and presumably the whole record. Can you say, "in demand"?

Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Adele - 21
HAIM - Days are Gone
Florence and the Machine - Ceremonials
Black Keys - Camino
The Kills - Midnight Boom - Mixes
Adele - 19
Róisín Murphy - Overpowered
Lily Allen - Alright, Still
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Mark Ronson - Version
Paolo Nutini - These Streets
Hot Chip - The Warning
Erasure - Nightbird
Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood
can I use this for another forum

Nothing to add to the conversation except this:

On Super Bowl Sunday, our motherfuckin' boys are gonna be back! That is when shit will get real! Until then, it's all horse hockey.

2-2-14 Invisible :happydance:

Nothing to add to the conversation except this:

On Super Bowl Sunday, our motherfuckin' boys are gonna be back! That is when shit will get real! Until then, it's all horse hockey.

2-2-14 Invisible :happydance:

tell me more about this.. Horse Hockey

I'm not sure that the free downloads will be counted towards the charts.

When Jay-Z did that promotional deal with Samsung, Billboard refused to allow the free album downloads to count. Minimum price for an album to be included on the chart is $3.49, so I assume there must be some minimum for singles as well.

The editor of Billboard even published an editorial about it.

Exactly what I said the second this was announced, it's about getting the music heard.

Also, Declan Gaffney is clearly still in the fold, he's on the liner notes on the OL record for additional production, and additional synths.

This can't be true. The Slow Loris said that they're going to wait to see how it does before deciding if it goes on the album!

You wouldn't make good band managers.
Wow, not just hypocritical but slanderous, too. I never stated that as a fact as you portray. I said it was my theory, and a guess. You accuse others of having no information to base their opinions on, yet as far as I can tell you have the exact same lack of info as the rest of us. Or is it that you want a prize for guessing correctly that 'Invisible' is on the album? Or are you suggesting you are in the inner circle of the band? Lol. My goodness, this is a message board for opinion and respectful discourse and debate...or are we not allowed to have opinions anymore unless they are in concordance with yours?

My initial bad reaction to this isn't so much the partnership, it's the video on the website where Bono does some rather naked PR for BoA, talking about their "heart" and such. He's clearly hitting agreed upon talking points in that video, and, to me, that comes across as distasteful, and a step too far. I understand this is BoA trying to atone for nearly destroying the global economy, but the commercial and partnership should be able to do that, we dont need Bono telling us in his Serious Voice how wonderful they are.

That's my issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom