A Question for Fans of U2's B-Sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
discothequeLP said:
BTW whats the difference between "Party Girl" and "Trash Can, Trampoline and the Party Girl"?

Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl is the official name of the B-side as it appeared on the A Celebration single. Party Girl is just the shortened name of it (and it's the name they used on the Under A Blood Red Sky live album). For the rest there is no difference. Why? Just like Where The Streets Have No Name is Streets and Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of is Stuck; the shorter name is a bit catchier.

I didn't include the song on my list as I think the B-side is a pretty mediocre recording. The live version is a tremendous improvement though. :)

For today, here are my top 5 B-side remixes (again in no particular order):

1. Discoth?que (Howie B, Hairy B Mix)
2. God Part II (Hard Metal Dance Mix)
3. Numb (Soul Assassins Mix)
4. Elevation (Influx Mix)
5. Mofo (Romin Remix)

C ya!

Marty (who needs to find room to include Beautiful Day (Quincey & Sonance Mix))

Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
Slow Dancing.
Spanish Eyes.
Holy Joe (Garage Mix).
Bottoms (Watashitachi No Ookina Yume) Zoo Station Remix.

Right, before you read. I'd like to apologise for really going on. But I'd really like to explain why I love these tracks!

I still haven't finished. I'm being hounded to bed. I'll finish it tommorow!
GOOD NIGHT.

(Can't put into an Order, sorry :()

Salome- Coolest Bass Line ever played to open a song. Simple as that. I'm really disappointed that U2 decided to drop this track (especially after all the work they put into it- [Evident on the Salom? Sessions Outtake CD. One early rehearsal of the track runs to 13 minutes!] and relegated it to a humble B-side as it's apparantley distant 'relative' [from what I can hear] track Zoo Station opened Achtung Baby.

Your Blue Room- Simply Beautiful. Simply yet highly emotional and the lyrics are literally 'Music to my ears!' :) I love the falsetto vocals Bono does at the end of each verse. As I have said previously, I always have a mental image of the ghost of Mr Macphisto just wailing out through the track during those parts.

Three Sunrises-

Lady with the Spinning Head-

Boomerang I-

(Ones that didn't make it- but are definetley worth my mentioning matter the final five aren't in order anyway)

Boomerang II- I love this track, but not as much as it's instrumental 'sibling' track as Boomerang I had these quirky little sounds playing the vocal parts instead of lyrics which sound brilliant.
Endless Deep- A really hypnotic piece of music. I don't know why I love it so much. It's just got a real depth to it in my opinion. This haunting vocals and clangy guitars opening the song.
Spanish Eyes- Can still remember first time I listened to this. A fantastic tune. Bono's lyrics totally drenched with the crying energy he often puts into some of his vocals. And of course, superb guitar parts.
Race against Time (A very wierd memory associated with that song, a memory which for some reason never even existed! Sounds silly, but not to me.)
Bass Trap- Must dig out that Cover version of 'Trap' I recorded on my computer...(four guitar parts using Multi-tracking software for the PC. Sounded quite nice)

....will finish

Does Love is Blindnees (live) from Stay single count like a b-side?

if is like that, this is my favorite b-side

Has no one put up "Electrical Storm"? That would top my list, which would also include "Lady With the Spinning Head," "Spanish Eyes," "North and South" and "Summer Rain."

I also have a live recording of the band doing their tune "Mystery Girl" which they wrote for Roy Orbison. Don't know if it was ever a B-Side, but it is among my favorite U2 tracks...:wink:

Why was Electrical Storm put on the B-sides 90-00 disc. It wasn't a B-side and was 2002. Also, putting ATYCLB tracks on the A-Sides disc was a mistake for the latter reason as well, but that's not relevant.

Summer Rain
Always
Spanish Eyes :drool: (All the gals here have seen that video clip, haven't ya?)
Slow Dancing
and hmmm....Big Girls are the Best, I think (wasn't that a B-side?)

So who's gonna talley these up and burn the Feedback Top Ten? :wink:

:wave:

SD

Popmartijn said:
Sorry to correct you here, but both Love Comes Tumbling as The Three Sunrises are Unforgettable Fire era B-sides. Both songs first appeared on the single The Unforgettable Fire. You can also find them on the Wide Awake In America EP.

My bad, I only had copies on an old cassette which were mixed in with Joshua Tree stuff... (that is, before Best of 1980-1990 came out - THANK YOU U2!!) Should've read the liner notes! Guess I just forgot... }:(~

I'd hit my head against the wall, but last time I did that my horns got stuck....

Originally posted by
Race against Time (A very wierd memory associated with that song, a memory which for some reason never even existed! Sounds silly, but not to me.)

Doesn't sound silly to me either:

Like a memory
Of something
Never experienced
That you cannot forget
Nor ever remember

goat

}:)~

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard enough B-sides to really answer this properly ... I need some singles.

Axver said:
I haven't heard enough B-sides to really answer this properly ... I need some singles.

Hi Axver- if you have msn, add me to your list @ lck_tweek@hotmail.com & I'd be happy to send you some mp3's of b-sides when we're both online. Files are too large for me to send via hotmail.

rivergoat said:
I'd hit my head against the wall, but last time I did that my horns got stuck....

:lol: :lmao: :D

Today's list is of 5 live B-sides:

1. Love Is Blindness (New York, 30-08-1992)
2. Bullet The Blue Sky (Dublin, 25-08-1993)
3. Gone (Boston, 6-6-2001)
4. Last Night On Earth (Mexico City, 3-12-1997)
5. Where The Streets Have No Name (Rotterdam, 18-7-1997)

C ya!

Marty (who couldn't find space for A Day Without Me or Out Of Control, sorry...)

Walk to the Water
Spanish Eyes
Lady (Extended)
North and South of the River
Stay (live acoustic from Toronto Elevation Tour) - B-side for the Cdn. Stuck Single.

1.luminous times
2. your blue room
3. three sunrises
4. endless deep
5. spanish eyes
6. tresure(whatever happened to pete the chop)

hi LCK,
first time seeing u over here :D

I'm not sure i have five - what i can come up with is...

deep in the heart
luminous Times
[if] 3 sunrises is considered a B side
silver & gold

OOooo what was the A side of 'dancing barefoot' -maybe i can go hunting for it at some eosteric music shop

i was at Hurrah's [nyc fabulous dance/new music performing club] when Lenny Kaye visited the DJ booth to premier the first 3 cuts of "Wave' - dancing barefoot.... was one of the songs :happy:
L

Sweetest Thing(original version)
Luminous Times(yet another great Ali inspired song)
Night & Day(he has never sounded sexier than he does here)
Dancing Barefoot
Bass Trap

Hmmm, this going to be a difficult one.

In no particular order:

Your Blue Room
Luminous Times
Happiness is Warm Gun
Summer Rain
Lady With the Spinning Head

Back
Top Bottom