400 plus tracks!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Stars for your self-quote:wink: (just teasing ;) ) but I think most of us now are "worried" that the bulk of the 175 unaccounted tunes will be remixes and live tracks not readily available on CD's any more, but songs that most of us own as we are collectors/die-hard fans.

In other words, from what I'm reading above, people are wondering if it's worth spending $350 for a special U2-themed iPod (that only has 20 GB of disk space, yet costs more than the regular iPod) and then spending another $100 (after $50 coupon) for this "box set" that we may already own in CD format. If one owns an iPod already, is it worthwhile to shell out $350 just for a U2-themed one? And if one has all the U2 CDs (including CD singles) and videos, is it worth $100-150 for this "box set"?

If Apple could provide a more detailed list of the songs available in this box set or increase the U2-themed iPod to 40 GB, then I'll be interested. :yes:

Last edited:
I've been waiting on about this as I've been pricing mp3 players etc. As a collector I have most of this stuff, but if they produce more than a handful of 1st time digital releases, I would be interested. Some of the remixes are only available on vinyl, and thus can be flawed during the conversion. Can't wait to see the song list....

Yeah, I think we should revisit this thread when we have a track list. Otherwise it's wild speculation. I personally doubt most of us die hards will have a reason to get the full catalog, unless they just floor us with never heard stuff and lots of it.

I'm not trying to ruin this for anyone...but I think the huge fuss people are trying to make out of this is pointless...

I will probably end up eating my hat for this, but I would bet my bottom dollar the 175 'unaccounted' tracks are dozens of remixes we've all heard before with maybe a few rarities...I'd be very surprised if they went and released a TON of 'rarities' that 'hardcore fans' could only have wet dreams about...anything's possible, though...

This isn't going to make me get an Ipod though...

Just my two cents...

The "By Song" list on http://www.u2wanderer.org lists every song in which a member of U2 has taken part (either on recording or co-writing). It adds up to a grand total of 671 songs, not including "Vertigo", its remixes and the rest of the new album, which would add up to 685 songs... so it's possible to to "fill up" the 400 songs.

However, there is a lot of filler in this list, like tracks not performed by U2 ("Goldeneye", from the Bond movie soundtrack, is an example) and tracks that feature only one member of U2 (Like Edge's "Captive" soundtrack)... so I'm guessing around 300-325 tracks from previously released material.

The rest, I think, could be one (or several) of the following:

- Unreleased Live Tracks - U2 recorded several concerts for possible release, so I think this is the more likely option... The Sarajevo PopMart concert, for example, would be a nice addition to the collection;
- Demos and Alternate Takes from released songs - Someone already mentioned Bono's version of "The Wanderer"... some albums had a lot of stuff that never saw the light of day, especially Boy, AB, and Zooropa... but I guess they would just save those for future releases.
- New Remixes - Simple and effective. Simply handing famous songs to famous DJ could generate a lot of tracks for this collection... and I wouldn't be disappointed.

My guess is live tracks - but I hope I'm wrong :)

Regards,

Krist

"I mean you don't have to listen to the Discotheque-Temple Bar Jack Knife Lee Melon Kiwi Banana Midnight on the street corner of a seedy red light district in Turkey-mix do ya?"

:lol: :lol: :applaud:

Power Surge..thats friggin hilarious!!!

U2Fanatic4ever said:
"I mean you don't have to listen to the Discotheque-Temple Bar Jack Knife Lee Melon Kiwi Banana Midnight on the street corner of a seedy red light district in Turkey-mix do ya?"

:lol: :lol: :applaud:

Power Surge..thats friggin hilarious!!!

Oh you don't have this song?:eyebrow:

Instead of having to buy the whole 400-track set for $149 (which is a DEAL for people who don't own a lot of U2), you'll still most likely be able to purchase individual tracks for 99 cents. I mean, hell, who doesn't already have at least 250-300 U2 tracks on their iPod? :wink:

I'm doubtful that the extra 175/220 tracks are going to be anything we haven't heard...I can't even think of how they can have that many "extra" songs; the fact that they specifically mentioned only 25 tracks being unreleased/rarities does not bode well either. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 400 is an inflated number cooked up...and I'd be willing to put my reputation on the li.....eh....wrong forum.

Songs can add up pretty quickly when you've got five versions of Mysterious Ways, four versions of Holy Joe, etc.

I watched the Apple presentation and Jobs said that there will be only 25 rare and unreleased tracks. That means, of those 175 "unaccounted" for songs, 150 will be remixes and live tracks. Not that this is a bad thing, but it does limit the "rare" material.

Still, maybe 25 rare/unreleased tracks are worthwhile.

I hope Apple does release a track-list. We need one!

what unreleased tracks are going to be on there? Demos, studio sessions, or more B-side stuff. Doesn't it make you wonder how many songs the band must just have laying around their studio like people have crap in their attics and garages?

This is what is says on U2.com

....and over 25 rare and unreleased tracks, including material from Hasta La Vista and Melon -- the two CDs previously only ever made available to subscribers to the official U2 magazine Propaganda

so I figure since there are 23 total songs on these two, that leaves 2 songs unaccounted for. Just my two cents....

charleswise said:
This is what is says on U2.com

....and over 25 rare and unreleased tracks, including material from Hasta La Vista and Melon -- the two CDs previously only ever made available to subscribers to the official U2 magazine Propaganda

so I figure since there are 23 total songs on these two, that leaves 2 songs unaccounted for. Just my two cents....

possibly "Mercy" theres one...that leaves one more.

Back
Top Bottom