Zoomerang96's Music Challenge: 30 Of Your Favorite Songs - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #61
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,700
Local Time: 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal


4. Lost Cause- Beck
I'm probably in the minority thinking Sea Change was his best album. Anyway this is my favorite song off that one, it's simple and melancholic and very relatable for whatever reason.

16. Oh, Atlanta- Alison Krauss
Anyone who thinks they hate country (me a few months ago) should listen to her. There's something about her voice and this song has some good instrumentation too.

Album-wise, I much prefer Beck's Lost Cause to his other stuff. There's always one or two really great singles on them, but as an album, it always ends up annoying me.

Alison Krauss has one of the most pure, lovely voices I've ever heard. Do you have her Daylight album? I love it.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict
 
sami0201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: among the fields of gold...
Posts: 23,193
Local Time: 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

6. Bruce Springsteen – Streets of Philadelphia

One of my favorite songs from the Boss. Subdued, quiet, and over before you know it, this song feels perfect for a rainy nighttime drive.

14. Elton John – Your Song

Is this cliche? Probably. But it's just too damn good. Bernie wrote some great lyrics hear, and the music suits them perfectly. It's probably really sappy, but this song always reminds me of someone special, as I'm sure it does for anyone else who listens to it.

25. Norah Jones – Turn Me On

I really adore Norah Jones, and this is one of my favorites she’s done. It’s a real lovers’ song, the sort of thing just made for a sensual slow dance. It’s one of those songs that can just make you smile no matter what mood you’re in.

__________________

__________________
sami0201 is offline  
Old 01-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict
 
the rockin edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tomorrow's just an excuse away
Posts: 26,816
Local Time: 12:15 AM
Ok, here's 30 of my favorites in no particular order:

1. Dave Matthews Band - Ants Marching

great all around song, I especially love the violin

2. Cream - White Room

classic song, my favorite Cream song. I'm a big fan of Clapton + the drums on this are amazing

3. Bruce Cockburn - Burden Of The Angel/Beast

here's my soapbox artist and this may be my favorite of his songs, amazing lyrics & I LOVE the guitar sound on this

4. Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up

inspirational to me

5. Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
specifically the 14 minute live version I have

6. Pink Floyd - High Hopes

this my favorite floyd song, I love how it builds throughout & the guitar solo at the end is brilliant!

7. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

it just rocks

8. The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

my favorite beatles song

9. REM - Bad Day

I like the lyrics on this one, sounds angry...plus it rocks

10. Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

I always start this off playing air drums, great energy throughout.

11. Bob Dylan - With God On Our Side

the lyrics.

12. Bob Dylan or Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

the Jimi version is fantastic, I like it more than the original but when I saw Dylan live he did a great version of this (2nd only to Jimi IMO ) but Bob had to write it for Jimi to play it

13. Prince - Purple Rain

I don't have anything to say about this one

14. Jeff Beck - Cause We've Ended As Lovers

it's great, I can't really describe this one. I just love it.

15. Crowded House - Fingers Of Love (live)

catchy tune and i like the guitar solo in middle

16. Derek and The Dominos - Layla

EC & Duane in the same band is amazing, this is favorite.

17. Coldplay - Amsterdam

a slow piano based song, i love the lyrics

18. Melissa Etheridge - Refugee (Tom Petty Cover)

this just plain rocks, far better than the original imo

19. Bell X1 - Eve, The Apple Of My Eye

slow, soothing track. calms me down.

20. Snow Patrol - Run

i'm currently addicted to this one, don't know why exactly great song!

21. The Killers - Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine

I love how this opens the Hot Fuss album, full of energy

22. Neil Young - Rockin in The Free World

when I get mad at someone/something i usually put this on

23. Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry

I got into this because I heard a local guitarist play a great acoustic version of it, then I really listened to the Marley version.

24. Bruce Cockburn - The Trouble With Normal

my soapbox artist again, again this track is lyrically great & i have live acoustic & electric versions that are so totally different yet both awesome.

25. Dave Matthews Band - Crush

catchy tune, great jam song

26. Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight

something i heard at a wedding and liked

27. Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing

pure genius

28. Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode

catchy tune, dunno what to say about it except I like it.

29. Oasis - Wonderwall

so catchy, i'm not sure why though

30. Jeff Beck & Rod Stewart - People Get Ready

I love the contrast between Rod singing during the verses and Jeff playing between them


if you want anything on here let me know and i'll upload
send a PM or email shortofcash@gmail.com
__________________
the rockin edge is offline  
Old 01-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #64
Refugee
 
cjboog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 1,325
Local Time: 10:15 PM
I can't possibly sit down and write about 30 songs so I will do 10...

1. Breathe, Melissa Etheridge

Awesome song, one of my all time favorites, excellent vocals, pounding guitars, taken from her 2004 album "Lucky", written by another band, but Melissa's version is unbelievable

2. The Rising, Burce Springsteen

Even though Bruce's vocals have gotten what most consider worse with age, I consider more mature. This is a stunning song about firefighters during 9/11 that is amazin evertime, awesome guitar

3. If I Ever Lose My Faith In You, Sting

This is Sting's best song, great "fluid" vocals, very simpe and catchy from album "Ten Summoner's Tales"


4. Dave Matthews Band, Stand Up

This isn't in my top ten, but I have listened to it a lot recently, great beat driven song, lots of fun, from DMB's best album, "Stand Up"

5. Testify, Phil Collins

Also not in my top ten but great nonetheless. This song starts out as a slow ballad and erupts into an all out rocker with full guitars and blaring vocals

6. Take It Back, Pink Floyd

I am not a Pink Floyd fan by any means, and this is the only one of their songs that I really like. It reminds me vageuly of streets and has a calm feel "She can taaaake it back, she can taaaa-aaa-aaake it back, she will taaa-aaa-aaake it back someday." Simply elegant.

7. Have A Nice Day, Bon Jovi

I have heard that the punishment for mentioning Bon Jovi on this site is death! There is nothing experimental here, just another solid rocker from a good RELIABLE (although uncreative) band.

8. Rough Justice, The Rolling Stones

This is from their 2005 release, A Bigger Bang, and is a very fun load song that I really enjoy.

9. Good is Good, Sheryl Crow

I used to cringe every time I heard Sheryl Crow, but her latest album "Wildflower" shows a lot of maturity as shown through this awesome track.

10. Dead in the Water, David Gray

Gray is not big in the US, but he has some very good songs, like this erie tune from his solid album, "A New Day At Midnight"

Phew, Im sweating and I only did 10
__________________
cjboog is offline  
Old 01-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by the rockin edge
[B]4. Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up

inspirational to me[QUOTE]

I almost included that one on my list.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 01-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 01:15 AM
30 of my favorites (and this is a small sampling, mind you ). You'll no doubt recognize most of these artists, but you might not necessarily know the songs.

Feel free to email me at go-figure@comcast.net if you want any of these.


David & David - Welcome To The Boomtown

A lost classic from the 80's. This entire album (their only one) is amazing.

Depeche Mode - Blue Dress

Hidden gem from the Violator album.

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

Absolutely beautiful.

Dirty Vegas - Simple Things Part 2

Atmospheric beats that end with a snippet from some band called Pink Floyd.

Electric Light Orchestra - Ordinary Dream

Don't be fooled by the name of the artist. ELO's return in 2001 with the album Zoom is basically a Jeff Lynne album that draws on the same musical style as the famous group from the late 80's he was a member of, the Traveling Wilburys.

Peter Gabriel - Blood Of Eden

An absolute stunner from the under appreciated album Us.

INXS - I Burn For You

Preferably the single mix.

Jem - 24

Haunting lyrics.

Elton John - Empty Garden

The best tribute to John Lennon.

Led Zeppelin - Bring It On Home

Starts out like any other slow blues number - then Jimmy Page throttles you and doesn't let go.

Sinead Lohan - No Mermaid

The title cut to a fantastic album from a few years ago.

Madonna - Drowned World/Substitute For Love

The opening track from Madonna's best album, Ray Of Light.

Paul McCartney/Wings - Mull Of Kintyre

John Lennon gets credit for the more interesting solo career, and rightfully so, but this is Paul McCartney at his best.

John Mellencamp - Minutes To Memories

A classic slice of Americana, set in the farmland of the Ohio valley.

Midnight Oil - Forgotten Years

My favorite song from Midnight Oil.

Moby - God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters

One of the best pieces of music ever.

Oasis - Whatever

Only released as a single, and still not available domestically in the U.S. One of the best Oasis songs.

Pearl Jam - Black

Ten is still the best Pearl Jam album, and this is my favorite song off of it.

Pet Shop Boys - Rent

Lovely mid-tempo song.

Pink Floyd - Fearless

From the brilliant Meddle album, a sign of things to come.

Postal Service - Such Great Heights

Atmospheric sound that just radiates all around.

Prince - The Cross

Take one listen to this, and tell me this guy can't rock. His vocal on this is incredible.

R.E.M. - Talk About The Passion

The greatest R.E.M. album is the first one, Murmur.

Royksopp - Remind Me (Someone Else's Mix)

I find this version to be much stronger than the original.

Semisonic - If I Run

Yep, another person for Semisonic. This one is from their first full album, The Great Divide, and it's awesome.

Bruce Springsteen - Missing

In 1994, following the massive success of Streets Of Philadelphia, Springsteen created an entire album's worth of similar music, with just electronic drum beats and low-key synthesizers. He never released it, but one song from those sessions turned up in the Sean Penn movie "The Crossing Guard", and was only available for a limited time as a single in Europe. Thankfully, Missing is on the bonus disc for the Essential Bruce Springsteen set, and it is a must have. If you like Streets Of Philadelphia, you'll love this.

Sting - They Dance Alone (Gueco Solo)

The companion piece to U2's Mothers Of The Disappeared. His best song ever.

Traveling Wilburys - Tweeter And The Monkey Man

Let's face it - Bob Dylan wasn't exactly churning out classics in the 80's. In the worst rut of his career, he teamed up with George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison to form the Traveling Wilburys. The resulting album produced the best Dylan song in years with Tweeter And The Monkey Man, which has so many references to Jersey that you'd think Springsteen was the writer. Excellent track.

Vangelis - Conquest Of Paradise

Yes, he's known mostly for Chariots Of Fire, but he's had so many magnificent pieces of music, that it was so hard to choose one. This is a classic from the film 1492.

Roger Waters - The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)

The members of Pink Floyd certainly aren't known for their fantastic solo work, but if there's one song that stands above the rest, this is it.

Yes - Soon

This is the last six minutes or so of The Gates Of Delirium, a 20 minute-plus epic from the Relayer disc. Soaring vocals from Jon Anderson and beautiful guitar work from Steve Howe make this a relatively unknown Yes classic.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict
 
the rockin edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tomorrow's just an excuse away
Posts: 26,816
Local Time: 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

Absolutely beautiful.
yes, i love this song especially live

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Peter Gabriel - Blood Of Eden

An absolute stunner from the under appreciated album Us.
yes, i love this track...one of my fave gabriel songs

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Oasis - Whatever

Only released as a single, and still not available domestically in the U.S. One of the best Oasis songs.
great song
__________________
the rockin edge is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 02:13 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict
 
meegannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Norwich, England
Posts: 15,798
Local Time: 06:15 AM
agirlinthisvicinity@yahoo.com

Fifty-one of my favourites, in random order:

1. Svenska Hjärtan -- Lasse Lindh

2. Photo Jenny -- Belle and Sebastian

3. Hi Lo and In Between (Live) -- Neil Halstead

4. Slow Dog -- Belly

5. Om Du Var Här -- Kent

6. Feel to Believe -- Beth Orton

7. Debaser -- The Pixies

8. I've Got a Theory -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Cast

9. Just When You're Thinking Things Over -- The Charlatans

10. Dial Revenge -- Mogwai Feat. Gruff Rhys

11. A Murder of One -- Counting Crows

12. Into My Arms -- Nick Cave

13. Ohio -- Damien Jurado

14. In Love With a View -- Mojave 3

15. Say It Ain't So -- Weezer

16. Feeling Oblivion -- Turin Brakes

17. The Man Who Told Everything -- Doves

18. She's Got Spies -- Supper Furry Animals

19. How I Broke My Foot and Met Jesus -- Pelle Carlberg

20. I've Become Misguided -- Ed Harcourt

21. Asleep in the Back -- Elbow

22. Puplic Service Announcer -- Mull Historical Society

23. Paint the Silence -- South

24. Fade Into You -- Mazzy Star

25. La Cienega Just Smiled -- Ryan Adams

26. Amazing It Seems -- Granada

27. It Ain't You -- Tom McRae

28. These Are Just Years -- Idlewild

29. Similar Assassins -- Seafood

30. Tie Up My Hands -- Starsailor

31. Eve, the Apple of My Eye -- Bell x1

32. It Takes a Fool to Remain Sane -- The Ark

33. Everything Counts (Live) -- Depeche Mode

34. Emerge -- Fischerspooner

35. Lay Me Down -- The Frames

36. To You -- I Am Kloot

37. Bleed Like Me -- Garbage

38. Heart of Gold -- Neil Young

39. Rain -- Patty Griffin

40. Karma Police -- Radiohead

41. Teardrop -- Massive Attack

42. Elevator Love Letter -- Stars

43. History -- Joseph Arthur

44. The Zookeeper's Boy -- Mew

45. Bread -- On!Air!Library!

46. Chemo Limo -- Regina Spektor

47. Fly From Heaven -- Toad the Wet Sprocket

48. The Promise -- Tracy Chapman

49. Common People -- Pulp

50. La Vie Est Belle -- MC Solaar

51. Total Eclipse of the Heart -- Bonnie Tyler (I only expect one person to get this one )
__________________
meegannie is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 02:38 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Posts: 3,854
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
AcrobatMan...I'd be happy to send you some Wilco (my list will have several songs). I always welcome the opportunity to turn people on to them.

send them to letdown_acrobat@yahoo.com
__________________
AcrobatMan is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #70
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norwich
Posts: 136
Local Time: 06:15 AM
samruddock@hotmail.com for any uploaded songs.

1. Granada - Amazing It Seems
This is the only song whose position I know. Hauntingly beautiful, it is as though the piano intro grabs you by the collar and leads you into a vacuum between this world and another and the only thing that can penetrate the nothingness is this voice calling from the distant recesses of time and space. It does my head in, it silences me, it makes me cry. Its as beautiful as a forest full of trees in winter, all bare and spindly and swallowed up by a great grey sky. Its nothingness into nothingness, and somehow that is the perfect combination for me.

The rest are in no particular order.

2. Oasis - Solve My Mystery
Just scraped out Solve My Mystery is a demo from the Sotsog sessions. Its a solo noel song which is almost the culmination of all the noel acoustic songs that dot the outtakes of all their albums. Its bright, challenging, much deeper than most people would give it credit for and has the immortal line - "They told me I lost my mind, but i believe that i rule the world".

3. Bob Dylan - Last Thoughts On Woody Guthrie
It was a straight run off between this, My Back Pages, Visions of Johanna and Sad Eyed Lady of the lowlands. This is a poem dylan wrote and recited loud at a concert. Its 7 minutes long, and until the last phrase he doesnt mention anything about woody Guthrie. The pace is quick, its full of comedy and imagery of the like found in 'Stuck Inside...', ' Desolation row' and the like. Its basically a paen to how one man can relieve the pressure of life. I defy someone not to find an intensly personal lyric somewhere in this wonderful rant.

4. Tom Mcrae - Human Remains
Again, which song to pick? This is my current favourite from an almost perfect album whose opening line is "welcome back" and the closing line of the final song (this one) is "tell em what's next". The symmetry here is amazing and this song speaks to me through the corridors of history like its a set of bones warning against the bitter onslaught of time and the vulnerability of human relationships. Its about a man and his father but could be about everything and nothing from the entire scope of human history. Genes and pasts that cannot be escaped. "This is not enough" repeated encapsulates the anger and dissapointment of the song.

5. Judy Garland - Somewhere Over the rainbow
Perhaps a strange song and I certainly dont hold that Eva Cassidy's version is better. This song just encapsulates my childhood, my imagination that there was a perfect place somewhere out there. I once wrote a really bad falsetto song when I was about 11 which was along these lines. This song is just so innocent and yet so bitter and full of resentment at the real world.

6. Tracy Chapman - The Promise
I never really noticed this song until i heard it live a couple of years ago and was blown away by the sheer vulnerable power of it. Its a song of doubt and weakness but with the strongest of messages at its heart. "I will wait for you, if you wait for me". Can be heard as the thoughts of a dying person, or a young person in love and not ready for the committment of marriage. Its just so simple and the way Tracy performs it alone on a big stage with absolutely no pretence is mesmeric. One of my wedding songs.

7. Radiohead - No Surprises
I wasn't sure between this and another but 'How to dissapeer completely' has been mentioned enough. This is the song I always wanted to write before I heard it. Its the prettiest little song full of charm and sweetness but with the most bitter message at its heart. Its like Saccarine laced with cyanide, if the beautiful little timpany riff doesnt kill you, the anger pulsing through the vocals certainly will.

8. Lemon Jelly - Rambling man
This is not the greatest of songs in the world. But i have always been fascinated by people who love travelling and have no need for any sense of home. Im completely the opposite and this song first brought home to me how someone like this could feel. Its full of the rosy-tinted view of remembered places and cunjures images of a crimson sunset over the bay of a horizon not yet glimpsed. Full of optimism, and a dream like reverence for the unknown. I was so intrigued by it, it has formed the central charachter of my first novel (which is sadly still in my head and not on paper).

9. Beatles - Here, there and everywhere
I will never forgive Pheobe Buffet for stealing this as her wedding song only 3 months before it was to be my wedding song. So simple, life with you is better than life without you.

10. Crowded House - Dont Dream Its Over
I remember this song from a Now Thats What I Call Music album and loved it then. Its moving, and it progresses at such a meandering pace. Almost perfect in its construction.

11. Don Mclean - American Pie
This song is like the phrase at its very heart; "The day the music died". Its a homage to music, to the way it can make you think and feel. Its powerful but nonsensical, full of imagery that seems inoccouous but comes together to paint a picture of something ephemeral, indiscribable. So bittersweet; thank you for the memorable times, i wish they could be future's too.

12. Elbow - Powder Blue
Again its such a simple little arpegio of notes ontop of which floats along a p=matress of powder-blue comfort and security. This is a song into which vulnerability and loneliness melts like cocoa in warm milk. And twice as soothing. Brings a tear to the eye its so beautiful.

13. Roxette - It Must Have Been Love
This song makes me cry. It is so heartfelt and I just cant help feeling the complete waste of it all. The sorrow at something passing and the confusion over it all. I have to admit to romanticising pain and suffering and as a result there is no more romantic song in the world.

14. Leonard Cohen - Bird On A Wire
On the liner notes it says that Kris Kristoffersson wants to put the first few lines on his tombstone. "Like a bird on a wire, like a drunkard at midnight choir, i have tried in my way to be free."
Ouch.

15. Ron Sexsmith - Gold In Them Hills (with Chris Martin)
This is all built around a very simple intro riff similar in many ways to No Surprises by Radiohead. Its such a positive song about seeing the blessings in disguise around you. And then Chris Martin comes in and his voice is the catalyst to take off and suddenly you are flying through space looking down over those golden hills and you are in no doubt as to the truth of the song.

16. Pulp - Something Changed
Common People is without a doubt the standout track on the album, probably the most barely supressed anger track ive heard but this song is, as the saying goes, a mystery wrapped in an enigma. It will screw up your mind if you think about it too much. But in that originality lies its brilliance. Does every action we take transform our lives in dramatically different ways? A really refreshing view of fate, luck and coincidence.

17. Suede - Beautiful Ones
A mid-90's challenge to the forgotten generation of youth. Speaks of such alienated suffering and deranged existance that you cant help but be shocked by it all. A call to arms, a fuck-you to all authoraty figures and a reminder of the seedier dirty side of britpop. And through it all its so sing alongable that you cant resist being uplifted by it.

18. Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
A welcome change from all the bitter and negative views of the world. A tremendously positive look at the spectrum of colour in the world around us. "I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do, they're really saying, I love you."

19. Neil Halstead - High, Low and In between
Like the tale at its centre, this is all about getting away from the earth and floating through the atmosphere above, free from earthly suffering. Like the story, the moment of freedom is only too short, and soon we too are rescued by an airline pilot, just before the lack of oxygen brought forth all the power of our imaginations.

20. Clearlake - I Want to Live in a Dream
I stupid little ditty about not wanting to grow up and live in the real world. Its a little much and its sometimes embarrassing to comprehend how much you agree with it all. Admirable sentiments m'boys!

21. Ed Harcourt - Loneliness.
Its quite sad that a song called loneliness reminds me of my honeymoon. But it really does, not because it reminds me of my emotions but it is so closely linked in my mind to the book i was reading at the time (The Ground Beneath Her Feet - Salman Rushdie). It speaks of the otherwordly devotoion to love with which Ormus Cama goes through life. Its mystical and untouchable.

22. Hope of the States - The Black Amnesias
Hope of the States are phenomenal. They are like Pink Floyd in that they can take a song and just let it rise and fall and swell without much on top of it. This is an instrumental opening to the debut album and it is so powerful, it grabs you by the neck and drags you straight down into the dark pit of forgetfulness with which the title speaks

23. Electric Soft Parade - Things Ive Done
FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN.

24. Gary Jules - Mad World
This song has overkill. But i will never forgeet that only 6 weeks before it hit Christmas Number 1 it was scheduled to be released and I went into HMV in Nottingham and looked for it and then went and asked as it wasnt there. The man knew nothing about it and spent 5 minutes looking on his computer to see whether he could find anything about it. Only a month later and it was absolutely everywhere, a real testamount to the power of blanket marketting and its success hints at how empty and bitter many people feel towards the Christmas season.
Oh and its just a phenomenal song.

25. Procol Harem - Whiter Shade of Pale
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS ALL ABOUT? Again the power is in the imagery, though i have no idea what the imagery is. I cant explain why i love it, but I do.

26. Black Eyed Peas - Where Is the Love
Such a great example of a song that i believe will be looked at as a 'classic' of modern protest music in the future. Like Dylan's 'With God On Our Side' this is a considered diatribe against the hypocracy and idiocy of the prevailing order.

27. Elton John - Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
I first heard this is the film 'Almost Famous' at the point where the tragically fucked-up Penny Lane has hit rock bottom and to me it charts the most powerful moment of intimacy in the film. Its a very angry song from Mr. John, all about the falsity of public life and the unreality of living the party life. Takes the listener on a trip through psychodelic cartoon landscapes until they emerge in the deserted streets of an empty city at night. Makes me feel powerful and significant like walking through those deserted streets at night.

28. Johnny Cash - Hurt
Wow, the best cover version of a song i have ever heard. There is nothing i can say about this one, anyone who hasnt heard it, go out and listen, anyone who has knows exactly what i mean.

29. Kid Galahad - I Go To Sleep
This is like 'I'm only sleeping' by the Beatles in that its about sleep. In every other sense its completely different. Nonetheless, I am absolutely fascinated and in love with sleep and cant understand why there aren't more songs about the simple everyday harmony of sleep.

30. James - She's A Star.
Like I said, romanticising the suffering. There is so much of that in here. And so sing-alongable as well.

31. The Streets - Empty Cans.
This is only a great song becausew of the 11 that preceede it. Mike Skinner takes us on a journey of ups and downs and when this final up comes along it is the most cathartic moment on any record ive heard. Pure waves of joy wash over me and the story is complete in a perfect way.

32. Kinks - Apeman
This song really hit home to me like no other how much real fear there was about nuclear war in the 1960's. In hindsight its easy to see that there was little chance of there ever being a nuclear war but this song transported me back into the contemporary mind like nothing else ever has and showed me how frightening the world around had become. Its title references King Kong and tarzan in my mind and is basically a commentary on the state of human society. An very underrated kinks song.

33. Doves - Lost Souls.
THE ENTIRE ALBUM cannot be listened to in particles, it is a whole song with 11 different movements which go together to create a mesmeric masterpiece. I could never single out one single song from an album like this so i wont even bother. As a complete piece of work this is simply untouchable.

34. John Lennon - God (anothology Version)
A Requiem for the 1960's dream. The anthology is less polished and doesnt have so many of the little piano flecks which i think get in the way of the album version. Its lennon putting to bed his Beatles past and the mythology that they and he had built up around them. Like the rest of Lennon's easrly solo music its intensly and sometimes uncomfortably personnal but no song can be bad after such a strong opening line; "God is a concept by which we meassure out pain".

35. Dire Straits - Brother In Arms
The perfect and understated end to a great album. Brothers in Arms is like Bridge over Troubled Water in its slow progression towards its immaterial end. Its not written by them but you would never believe it, sounds too perfectly placed and weighted to be a cover. And yet there it is.

36. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah.
It took me 5 years to finally get why Jeff Buckley is great. I had heard Leonard Cohen's original of this first and lyrically it was very different and stood out immediately. Indeed, it references itself and compares itself to the sacred song itself. Downbeat but confident. And Jeff Buckley takes all the genius of the song and somehow multiplies it exponentially to create a force of such simple beauty its hard to believe its not his own song.
__________________
The Absent One is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life
 
yertle-the-turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: York, UK and Singapore
Posts: 11,750
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Absent One
samruddock@hotmail.com for any uploaded songs.

1. Granada - Amazing It Seems
This is the only song whose position I know. Hauntingly beautiful, it is as though the piano intro grabs you by the collar and leads you into a vacuum between this world and another and the only thing that can penetrate the nothingness is this voice calling from the distant recesses of time and space. It does my head in, it silences me, it makes me cry. Its as beautiful as a forest full of trees in winter, all bare and spindly and swallowed up by a great grey sky. Its nothingness into nothingness, and somehow that is the perfect combination for me.

The rest are in no particular order.

2. Oasis - Solve My Mystery
Just scraped out Solve My Mystery is a demo from the Sotsog sessions. Its a solo noel song which is almost the culmination of all the noel acoustic songs that dot the outtakes of all their albums. Its bright, challenging, much deeper than most people would give it credit for and has the immortal line - "They told me I lost my mind, but i believe that i rule the world".

3. Bob Dylan - Last Thoughts On Woody Guthrie
It was a straight run off between this, My Back Pages, Visions of Johanna and Sad Eyed Lady of the lowlands. This is a poem dylan wrote and recited loud at a concert. Its 7 minutes long, and until the last phrase he doesnt mention anything about woody Guthrie. The pace is quick, its full of comedy and imagery of the like found in 'Stuck Inside...', ' Desolation row' and the like. Its basically a paen to how one man can relieve the pressure of life. I defy someone not to find an intensly personal lyric somewhere in this wonderful rant.

4. Tom Mcrae - Human Remains
Again, which song to pick? This is my current favourite from an almost perfect album whose opening line is "welcome back" and the closing line of the final song (this one) is "tell em what's next". The symmetry here is amazing and this song speaks to me through the corridors of history like its a set of bones warning against the bitter onslaught of time and the vulnerability of human relationships. Its about a man and his father but could be about everything and nothing from the entire scope of human history. Genes and pasts that cannot be escaped. "This is not enough" repeated encapsulates the anger and dissapointment of the song.

5. Judy Garland - Somewhere Over the rainbow
Perhaps a strange song and I certainly dont hold that Eva Cassidy's version is better. This song just encapsulates my childhood, my imagination that there was a perfect place somewhere out there. I once wrote a really bad falsetto song when I was about 11 which was along these lines. This song is just so innocent and yet so bitter and full of resentment at the real world.

6. Tracy Chapman - The Promise
I never really noticed this song until i heard it live a couple of years ago and was blown away by the sheer vulnerable power of it. Its a song of doubt and weakness but with the strongest of messages at its heart. "I will wait for you, if you wait for me". Can be heard as the thoughts of a dying person, or a young person in love and not ready for the committment of marriage. Its just so simple and the way Tracy performs it alone on a big stage with absolutely no pretence is mesmeric. One of my wedding songs.

7. Radiohead - No Surprises
I wasn't sure between this and another but 'How to dissapeer completely' has been mentioned enough. This is the song I always wanted to write before I heard it. Its the prettiest little song full of charm and sweetness but with the most bitter message at its heart. Its like Saccarine laced with cyanide, if the beautiful little timpany riff doesnt kill you, the anger pulsing through the vocals certainly will.

8. Lemon Jelly - Rambling man
This is not the greatest of songs in the world. But i have always been fascinated by people who love travelling and have no need for any sense of home. Im completely the opposite and this song first brought home to me how someone like this could feel. Its full of the rosy-tinted view of remembered places and cunjures images of a crimson sunset over the bay of a horizon not yet glimpsed. Full of optimism, and a dream like reverence for the unknown. I was so intrigued by it, it has formed the central charachter of my first novel (which is sadly still in my head and not on paper).

9. Beatles - Here, there and everywhere
I will never forgive Pheobe Buffet for stealing this as her wedding song only 3 months before it was to be my wedding song. So simple, life with you is better than life without you.

10. Crowded House - Dont Dream Its Over
I remember this song from a Now Thats What I Call Music album and loved it then. Its moving, and it progresses at such a meandering pace. Almost perfect in its construction.

11. Don Mclean - American Pie
This song is like the phrase at its very heart; "The day the music died". Its a homage to music, to the way it can make you think and feel. Its powerful but nonsensical, full of imagery that seems inoccouous but comes together to paint a picture of something ephemeral, indiscribable. So bittersweet; thank you for the memorable times, i wish they could be future's too.

12. Elbow - Powder Blue
Again its such a simple little arpegio of notes ontop of which floats along a p=matress of powder-blue comfort and security. This is a song into which vulnerability and loneliness melts like cocoa in warm milk. And twice as soothing. Brings a tear to the eye its so beautiful.

13. Roxette - It Must Have Been Love
This song makes me cry. It is so heartfelt and I just cant help feeling the complete waste of it all. The sorrow at something passing and the confusion over it all. I have to admit to romanticising pain and suffering and as a result there is no more romantic song in the world.

14. Leonard Cohen - Bird On A Wire
On the liner notes it says that Kris Kristoffersson wants to put the first few lines on his tombstone. "Like a bird on a wire, like a drunkard at midnight choir, i have tried in my way to be free."
Ouch.

15. Ron Sexsmith - Gold In Them Hills (with Chris Martin)
This is all built around a very simple intro riff similar in many ways to No Surprises by Radiohead. Its such a positive song about seeing the blessings in disguise around you. And then Chris Martin comes in and his voice is the catalyst to take off and suddenly you are flying through space looking down over those golden hills and you are in no doubt as to the truth of the song.

16. Pulp - Something Changed
Common People is without a doubt the standout track on the album, probably the most barely supressed anger track ive heard but this song is, as the saying goes, a mystery wrapped in an enigma. It will screw up your mind if you think about it too much. But in that originality lies its brilliance. Does every action we take transform our lives in dramatically different ways? A really refreshing view of fate, luck and coincidence.

17. Suede - Beautiful Ones
A mid-90's challenge to the forgotten generation of youth. Speaks of such alienated suffering and deranged existance that you cant help but be shocked by it all. A call to arms, a fuck-you to all authoraty figures and a reminder of the seedier dirty side of britpop. And through it all its so sing alongable that you cant resist being uplifted by it.

18. Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
A welcome change from all the bitter and negative views of the world. A tremendously positive look at the spectrum of colour in the world around us. "I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do, they're really saying, I love you."

19. Neil Halstead - High, Low and In between
Like the tale at its centre, this is all about getting away from the earth and floating through the atmosphere above, free from earthly suffering. Like the story, the moment of freedom is only too short, and soon we too are rescued by an airline pilot, just before the lack of oxygen brought forth all the power of our imaginations.

20. Clearlake - I Want to Live in a Dream
I stupid little ditty about not wanting to grow up and live in the real world. Its a little much and its sometimes embarrassing to comprehend how much you agree with it all. Admirable sentiments m'boys!

21. Ed Harcourt - Loneliness.
Its quite sad that a song called loneliness reminds me of my honeymoon. But it really does, not because it reminds me of my emotions but it is so closely linked in my mind to the book i was reading at the time (The Ground Beneath Her Feet - Salman Rushdie). It speaks of the otherwordly devotoion to love with which Ormus Cama goes through life. Its mystical and untouchable.

22. Hope of the States - The Black Amnesias
Hope of the States are phenomenal. They are like Pink Floyd in that they can take a song and just let it rise and fall and swell without much on top of it. This is an instrumental opening to the debut album and it is so powerful, it grabs you by the neck and drags you straight down into the dark pit of forgetfulness with which the title speaks

23. Electric Soft Parade - Things Ive Done
FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN.

24. Gary Jules - Mad World
This song has overkill. But i will never forgeet that only 6 weeks before it hit Christmas Number 1 it was scheduled to be released and I went into HMV in Nottingham and looked for it and then went and asked as it wasnt there. The man knew nothing about it and spent 5 minutes looking on his computer to see whether he could find anything about it. Only a month later and it was absolutely everywhere, a real testamount to the power of blanket marketting and its success hints at how empty and bitter many people feel towards the Christmas season.
Oh and its just a phenomenal song.

25. Procol Harem - Whiter Shade of Pale
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS ALL ABOUT? Again the power is in the imagery, though i have no idea what the imagery is. I cant explain why i love it, but I do.

26. Black Eyed Peas - Where Is the Love
Such a great example of a song that i believe will be looked at as a 'classic' of modern protest music in the future. Like Dylan's 'With God On Our Side' this is a considered diatribe against the hypocracy and idiocy of the prevailing order.

27. Elton John - Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
I first heard this is the film 'Almost Famous' at the point where the tragically fucked-up Penny Lane has hit rock bottom and to me it charts the most powerful moment of intimacy in the film. Its a very angry song from Mr. John, all about the falsity of public life and the unreality of living the party life. Takes the listener on a trip through psychodelic cartoon landscapes until they emerge in the deserted streets of an empty city at night. Makes me feel powerful and significant like walking through those deserted streets at night.

28. Johnny Cash - Hurt
Wow, the best cover version of a song i have ever heard. There is nothing i can say about this one, anyone who hasnt heard it, go out and listen, anyone who has knows exactly what i mean.

29. Kid Galahad - I Go To Sleep
This is like 'I'm only sleeping' by the Beatles in that its about sleep. In every other sense its completely different. Nonetheless, I am absolutely fascinated and in love with sleep and cant understand why there aren't more songs about the simple everyday harmony of sleep.

30. James - She's A Star.
Like I said, romanticising the suffering. There is so much of that in here. And so sing-alongable as well.

31. The Streets - Empty Cans.
This is only a great song becausew of the 11 that preceede it. Mike Skinner takes us on a journey of ups and downs and when this final up comes along it is the most cathartic moment on any record ive heard. Pure waves of joy wash over me and the story is complete in a perfect way.

32. Kinks - Apeman
This song really hit home to me like no other how much real fear there was about nuclear war in the 1960's. In hindsight its easy to see that there was little chance of there ever being a nuclear war but this song transported me back into the contemporary mind like nothing else ever has and showed me how frightening the world around had become. Its title references King Kong and tarzan in my mind and is basically a commentary on the state of human society. An very underrated kinks song.

33. Doves - Lost Souls.
THE ENTIRE ALBUM cannot be listened to in particles, it is a whole song with 11 different movements which go together to create a mesmeric masterpiece. I could never single out one single song from an album like this so i wont even bother. As a complete piece of work this is simply untouchable.

34. John Lennon - God (anothology Version)
A Requiem for the 1960's dream. The anthology is less polished and doesnt have so many of the little piano flecks which i think get in the way of the album version. Its lennon putting to bed his Beatles past and the mythology that they and he had built up around them. Like the rest of Lennon's easrly solo music its intensly and sometimes uncomfortably personnal but no song can be bad after such a strong opening line; "God is a concept by which we meassure out pain".

35. Dire Straits - Brother In Arms
The perfect and understated end to a great album. Brothers in Arms is like Bridge over Troubled Water in its slow progression towards its immaterial end. Its not written by them but you would never believe it, sounds too perfectly placed and weighted to be a cover. And yet there it is.

36. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah.
It took me 5 years to finally get why Jeff Buckley is great. I had heard Leonard Cohen's original of this first and lyrically it was very different and stood out immediately. Indeed, it references itself and compares itself to the sacred song itself. Downbeat but confident. And Jeff Buckley takes all the genius of the song and somehow multiplies it exponentially to create a force of such simple beauty its hard to believe its not his own song.
OMG Sam.

I don't like every single song you picked (of the ones I know) but your writing is magnificent!
__________________
yertle-the-turtle is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie


51. Total Eclipse of the Heart -- Bonnie Tyler (I only expect one person to get this one )
I'm going to have to send you Tori Amos' recent cover of this one.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #73
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan


send them to letdown_acrobat@yahoo.com
Okay. I'll work on it tonight.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #74
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norwich
Posts: 136
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Hey thanks Yertle I hope to see you back near the top of te Interference Fantasy Football League. Ipswich need more representation!

I doff my hat to your choice of Beth orton songs.
__________________
The Absent One is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,255
Local Time: 12:15 AM
Ooooh, this looks like fun. I'll have to go think a bit about this, but I'll try and see if I can manage to make a list to share on here. Mine may be pretty mainstream, too, but meh...*Shrugs*. Will still try it when I can.

I've loved the lists I've looked through so far-some absolutely fantastic songs mentioned in here. You guys have some excellent taste .

Angela
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com