Zep, Floyd: Teens Save Classic Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hawkfire said:
Just to clear up a couple things before they erroneously become fact - The Division Bell was probably the most cohesive-group effort by Pink Floyd since Animals (1977), mabye even Wish You Were Here (1975).

Which is probably why it's one of my favorite Floyd albums. What a difference it makes when they work together as a group.

That said, I agree with others about AMLOR - aside from a couple of songs, that is one of their weakest albums ever.

GibsonGirl said:

:yes:

The lyrics are just awful on AMLOR (Gilmour did most of the writing there).

Uh, SORROW?

Name me one song with better lyrics than Sorrow. Go on. Try. You can't do it.

Axver said:

Uh, SORROW?

You're joking, right?

No, you're not joking. I forgot who this was for a moment. The person who thinks his opinion is the only one that matters. :lol:

Listen to the entire Wish You Were Here album and get back to me.

And if you have, and you still think Sorrow is superior, well then, I don't know what to say.

Axver said:

Uh, SORROW?

The Final Cut.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear-stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time
And far from flying high in clear blue skies
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide

If you negotiate the minefield in the drive
And beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes
And if you make it past the shotguns in the hall
Dial the combination, open the priest hole
And if I'm in I'll tell you ...

There's a kid who had a big hallucination
Making love to girls in magazines
He wonders if you're sleeping with your new found faith
Could anybody love him
Or is it just a crazy dream?

And if I show you my dark side
Will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you
Show you my weak side
What would you do?

Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?
Would you take the children away and leave me alone?
And smile in reassurance as you whisper down the phone?
Would you send me packing
Or would you take me home?

Thought I ought to bare my naked feelings
Thought I ought to tear the curtain down
I held the blade in trembling hands
Prepared to make it, but...just then the phone rang,
I never had the nerve to make the final cut.

I think that's a thousand times more heartfelt than Sorrow could ever be. And to agree with phanan, 90% of WYWH could easily qualify as well.

GibsonGirl said:

The Final Cut.

I think that's a thousand times more heartfelt than Sorrow could ever be. And to agree with phanan, 90% of WYWH could easily qualify as well.

:up: :up: :up: I

Waters is a fucking genius when it comes to writing songs. Oh and pink floyd without waters is :( :( :sad:

phanan said:
And I'd go with The Fletcher Memorial Home off The Final Cut as well.

:up:

Another great one. :up: People can say what they will about that album, but Waters' songwriting was near the top of its game.

On a related note, I think I have a dud copy of The Final Cut (bought in 1994/1995 - does anyone know if there were any problems with that set of pressings?) In all the lyrics sites I've seen, the title song starts out as I've written above. Perhaps the American/European version is different to the one we bought in SA? Or maybe it's just a mistake on the behalf of the websites. Anyway, on the CD I have, the title song begins with the end of the lyrics from Southampton Dock:

"And still the dark stain spreads between
Their shoulder blades
A mute reminder of the poppy fields and graves
And when the fight was over
We spent what they had made
But in the bottom of our hearts we felt the final cut"

Rather than "through the fish-eyed lens ... etc." It's strange. I've always wondered why that was.

GibsonGirl said:

on the CD I have, the title song begins with the end of the lyrics from Southampton Dock:

Their shoulder blades

Rather than "through the fish-eyed lens ... etc." It's strange. I've always wondered why that was.

Wow! :lol:

I was wondering the same thing! My copy has it too obviously cos you were the one who sent it to me!

I had the song Final Cut on my computer from before and it starts with "thru the fisheyed lens". So I was confused too.

Does that mean we have a rare copy? :drool:

When the Tigers Broke Free makes me a bit teary-eyed when I listen to it...:|

Zootlesque said:

Does that mean we have a rare copy? :drool:

This thing could be worth a few! :lol: :drool: Maybe it's similar to the issue that certain early CDs of The Joshua Tree have, with regards to Exit starting off with the end of One Tree Hill.

When The Tigers Broke Free is on the recent reissue of The Final Cut. I can't remember when they put that one out. 2003? 2004? :shrug:

GibsonGirl said:

This thing could be worth a few! :lol: :drool: Maybe it's similar to the issue that certain early CDs of The Joshua Tree have, with regards to Exit starting off with the end of One Tree Hill.

When The Tigers Broke Free is on the recent reissue of The Final Cut. I can't remember when they put that one out. 2003? 2004? :shrug:

according to wikipedia.org - 2004

How would people here define the catagory: "Classic Rock" ?

If Zep and Floyd are classic Rock, are the Ramones and the Clash also classic rock?

STING2 said:

If Zep and Floyd are classic Rock, are the Ramones and the Clash also classic rock?

aren't they just considered Punk?

then again, Green Day is considered Punk :|

IMO, Punk evolved into New Wave, and that spawned Alternative and Goth Rock

then there was Grunge and still Alternative

then there was the Poser Punk we have now

love_u2_adam said:

oh ya what you said about me hurt:madwife:

We've gotten past that now. Don't fuel it.

As for STING2's question, I'd definitely consider The Ramones and The Clash to be punk. Today's "punk" bands are not punk bands, no matter how much they want to be considerd as such. There'd be no need to call the 70s punk "classic" anything.

LemonMacPhisto said:
aren't they just considered Punk?

then again, Green Day is considered Punk :|
i think you could maybe consider green day pop punk? or punk pop? i dunno, whatever rolls off the tongue easiest. even they admit they're not a punk band anymore :wink:

KhanadaRhodes said:

i think you could maybe consider green day pop punk? or punk pop? i dunno, whatever rolls off the tongue easiest. even they admit they're not a punk band anymore :wink:

I don't like them much so I haven't really taken the time to classify them :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
The Final Cut short film: http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk/theFinalCut/index.html

it includes The Gunner's Dream, The Final Cut, Not Now John, and The Fletcher Memorial Home

:up: These are amazing. I just watched The Wall for the first time the other day...pretty freaky!

Pink Floyd are great at breathing life into poltical/social commentary. That's what I love about The Wall, and especially The Final Cut.

I still haven't seen The Wall

Is there anything graphic or blatantly R-rated in there? Because if there is my parents would be like "OMFG NOEZZZ"

GibsonGirl said:

:up:

And best of all, they're always capable of having a few laughs. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71s_uQSLRl0&search=pink floyd

(Watch for Nick Mason's dance solo!)

Haha! Air drums! :love: I flipped through Nick Mason’s book recently at a bookstore. Aside from the music, they’re a pretty intriguing bunch. I’d also like to learn more about Syd Barrett and his story. The other thing I find interesting is how progressive they were with imagery and visuals. Some of the early group photos in the book look just like something Radiohead would do today—photos that were taken around 1968, if I recall. Maybe the band are really from the future. :hmm:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I still haven't seen The Wall

Is there anything graphic or blatantly R-rated in there? Because if there is my parents would be like "OMFG NOEZZZ"

Some of it is a little adult, but nothing more disturbing than most of the movies and television out there at the moment. And the big difference: The Wall isn't crap, and it will make you think.

STING2 said:

Since the Ramones and the Clash, as well as the Sex Pistols and the other '70s punk bands, were a reaction against all the hard rock bands that were their contemporaries - the same bands that dominate classic rock radio today - I would say they are definitely NOT classic rock.

GibsonGirl said:

Another great one. :up: People can say what they will about that album, but Waters' songwriting was near the top of its game.

On a related note, I think I have a dud copy of The Final Cut (bought in 1994/1995 - does anyone know if there were any problems with that set of pressings?) In all the lyrics sites I've seen, the title song starts out as I've written above. Perhaps the American/European version is different to the one we bought in SA? Or maybe it's just a mistake on the behalf of the websites. Anyway, on the CD I have, the title song begins with the end of the lyrics from Southampton Dock:

Their shoulder blades

that is really a segue with no name, IMO, it could be considered part of either song or neither, IMO. On my version the edit is so shitty, "The Final Cut" starts with the word "cut" into the piano.

gareth brown said:

A musical shit hole. They've been gone nearly two years and we've already got overhyped garbage like Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs clogging up the shelves...roll on Summer is all I can say!

:lmao:

and i didn't think radiohead could get anymore overrated than they already are, then you come out with a comment like that. Get a grip.

does anyone else hear the laughing on "Brain Damage" (track 08) on Dark Side of the Moon? at around 1:54 into the song? it's wiieerrddd! =)

Back
Top Bottom