Would this bother you ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristenF

The Fly
My husband & I recently moved from Houston back to my hometown in Connecticut. We've been househunting and found this great old Victorian house that's beautiful and affordable. It's affordable because it is right next to a cemetery. Now, this really does'nt bother me-I figure at least the neighbors will be quiet, but my hubby is totally opposed to it. So, I'm curious-how many of you would be bothered by it & who would not ?

I don't think it would bother me because I don't believe in ghosts and whatnot, but i can understand why it would bother a lot of people.

Not at all. The house I grew up in was down the street from one.
I like cemetaries...they're peaceful, usually pretty, and always interesting. But that's just me...anyway, I would go for it. Sounds like a lovely home!

My brother lives in a house that is on the next street over from a cemetary. My grandparents and some other relatives are buried there, he thinks its cool though, like he is neighbors with Grandma again :wink: I don't think it would bother me either...
Good luck!

I think it would be awesome! I wouldn't be bothered at all--especially since I hate living neighbors. :wink:

My aunt and uncle live behind one and they get some cool wildlife too.

I'd be all for it. :up:

I'd think it would be pretty cool...

...except for when I'd have my first horror movie marathon in the new house and suddenly become super paranoid. :laugh:

It might take some getting used to. It would be quiet, and I imagine that it's an old cemetery since the house is old, and old cemeteries can be lovely and peaceful. But if your husband doesn't like it, he would be uncomfortable in the house the whole time he lived there.

During the day, I would probably be okay with it but after dark, especially if I was home alone, I would be a little freaked out.

Cemetaries are very peaceful and I can sit for quite a long time while I 'visit' special relatives but I am always just a little tiny bit spooked.

depends on whether you get bad vibes or not from the neighborhood in general, i guess. but other than that it wouldnt bother me. good luck:)

the new house I live in is built over a cemetary. Supposedly this is just "extra" land that the owners of the cemetary sold and there was never anyone buried here but you never know. :shrug: It doesn't bother me at all.

I wouldn't have a problem with it; consider the fact that this country was first occupied by who knows what to the Indians to us; I'm sure we're walking, driving or running over the dead all the time! I would go for it! :up: :yes: I would !!

it will be freakin great , at least you can play all your cd's on full volume , it will inspire you to do things , like Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails
i used to live in uk , near london , and they have those creepy forests with ghosts , old , old cemeteries and chapels , it was bloody fantastic , no wonder why all supreme bands are from uk

:wave: :laugh: :wave:

I mean, if ghosts and other spirits were going to get you they could find you no matter where you live so maybe you could live next door and make nice with them.........sorry:reject:

Well I appreciate the input from all you guys. We'll just have to see what happens I guess. Personally, I'm fascinated in the paranormal & do believe in ghosts-so living near a graveyard would be fine with me.
Of course the first time I ran into an univited guest in my house-I might feel different !:eek:

My first reaction was no way, graveyards give me the creeps- even the ones my kinfold are buried in. I'm terrified of ghosts and I do believe in them!

Then I got to thinking, as much as I hate most of my neighbors, I'd rather live next to dead people. They won't be calling the cops on my stereo, bitching about my animals, hurting my animals, cutting branches off my trees, or backing into my car. I live near people who are so nosey I am afraid to go outside. I can't even go watch my kids play on their own swingset because we can't set foot outside without being shamelessly stared at. I love old Victorians too. If I had a chance for that place instead of the crap place I live with the assholes I live near, I'd grab it. The thing that would bug me is that if it's still an active graveyard, people will constantly be coming in and out bringing flowers and stuff, and I hope they wouldn't be nosey. Even if there are ghosts, they don't hurt you as much as real asshole live humans do!

I used to live across the street from a cemetery. I lived there for about 12 years. It wasn't horrible ... I was never really bothered by it.

Oddly enough, it was kind of pretty ... lovely flowers and greenery in the spring and summer; and in the winter it was always very peaceful looking when it snowed.

What a nice Halloween party`s you could have,..

It would not bother me but a partner who don`t feel okay about it,..that would bother me.

I like cemetaries. I like strolling through them and sending out good vibes to any lost souls roaming around ("go to the light!"). I often stop if I see a cemetery and take a few minutes to visit. I was recently in West Texas and there were some really cool cemetaries in deserted towns (often called "ghost towns" in travel books) with mementos dating back to the 1800s. Very cool.

:yes: Yes, I would say go for it, If u-2 were in agreement. it would not bother me either-I love Victorian anyways. True, as some said, would be peaceful, noone over there bothering anyone! And some of them are really nice, pleasant gardens, etc. but those funeral processions can wrong a bit long! lol:laugh:

I suppose I can speak from your husband's point of view. I don't know if you can ever overcome that sense of being off balance around something that makes you uneasy. So, if it's possible maybe don't rush the decision, another home with another less disturbing reason to be affordable may come along.
To me, it sounds delightful you are moving to your home town.Use all the old contacts you can to find out what may be coming up for sale.
Speaking of cemeteries and real estate. There is a funeral in my hometown today. My beloved old Sunday School/ Scripture teacher died on Friday. What an incredible woman she was. I can't go today:( although my o my , I feel like jumping in the car right now and zooming up there.) There is much speculation, which I find very distasteful, about what will become of her house and land. Real estate prices went crazy in the town that I grew up in, absolute and utter madness it seems to me. I will never be able to afford to live there again:(So I understand why you are considering this place.
But I think even though you may feel at ease, ultimately your husband has to be able to feel at ease too.
I have friends who live, as it turns out, in a cemetery and they are happy and at ease there.
Good luck.

It'd creep the hell out of me, too. Cemetaries at night are one of three things that would freak me out...like stated, having a horror movie marathon for the first time and getting paranoid...I personally would feel uneasy living near a cemetary.

Although U2Kitten did make a good argument for it...:). Certainly makes sense.

Angela

You have to consider the resale value of course, if you decide to leave because of ghosts or any reason. Things like that are usually a hard sell.

Speaking of which, on this subject, what would bother you more, living near a cemetary or living in a house you know someone was murdered in? Or even died in? My aunt was going to buy this gorgeous horse farm until she heard that an old man died in the basement. He wasn't murdered, but he was put down there by his family and suffered to death of sickness with no arms and legs to get away. My aunt said the thoughts of that torso man dying down there would always bug her.

Back
Top Bottom