Who is more overated???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Oasis, (What's the Story) Morning Glory? is one of my all-time favourite albums

So I guess I have to say Nirvana

Oasis! They may be more listenable, but Nirvana had a much wider impact on music.

Neither! They both deserve the acclaim the get in my opinion.. but if I had to pick one then Oasis, purely for the fact that Nirvana did alot for its kind of music.

I like Nirvana better, but in the US they're definitely more overrated. I do think they deserve more credit than they get around here, for example, but they're not the saviours of rock music as we know it. They weren't particularly revolutionary; they were simply a good rock band that was at the right place at the right time. Because of Cobain's death they are legends. They deserve a place in music history regardless, but his death did admittingly do more for their status than anything else, really. I think it's the "what if" factor, as if Nirvana could have come out with a line of brilliant albums had Cobain lived. but the truth is the band was about to break up, so not likely... :shrug:

I can't believe all you nincompoops...,
Nirvana changed the face of music with "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
all Oasis ever did was feed they're horribly large ego's with lies about being the next Beatles. Pathetic losers.

AtomicBono said:
I think it's the "what if" factor, as if Nirvana could have come out with a line of brilliant albums had Cobain lived. but the truth is the band was about to break up, so not likely... :shrug:

Nirvana had some great songs, but I think they would've faded out after maybe one more album. Krist Novocelic has dropped off the radar more or less, and I think the Foo Fighters are also grossly overrated and will be forgotten in the grand scheme of music history. They changed the face of music in the early 90s, but they were by no means mythic, which is the way they're portrayed now.

I stopped really listening to Oasis after their second album. I do think they're overhyped, too, though. They've got some great songs, but I think they're forgettable in the grand scheme, too. That said, I feel like there's still a lot more buzz about Nirvana than there is about Oasis now, so I'm going to have to go with Nirvana.

Nirvana is the second most overrated band ever (Radiohead being number one). There were so many bands that came out of the "grunge" scene like Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and so on that don't get the praise they deserve because of Nirvana. The reason is that Nirvana was a creation of a media that couldn't recognize the talent in the other artists of the time. On the flipside, Oasis is a fad that people never got over.

Screwtape2 said:
Nirvana is the second most overrated band ever (Radiohead being number one). There were so many bands that came out of the "grunge" scene like Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and so on that don't get the praise they deserve because of Nirvana. The reason is that Nirvana was a creation of a media that couldn't recognize the talent in the other artists of the time. On the flipside, Oasis is a fad that people never got over.

I would have put Radiohead but I think people in this forum would have killed me.:(

This must be a European thing. Is Oasis even rated? Good band, had an impact, but if there's more I missed it.

Nirvana's time was brief, but what they left us was one of the truly great albums of all time. Is Nevermind ever not among the top 10 in best of all time lists? Seldom. I certainly think it deserves the ranking. Yeah, they ripped off the Pixies, but what band doesn't owe part of their sound to someone who came before.

Also Nirvana led a movement in music. Their influence on rock in the 90s was HUGE. Oasis scores some points on that too, but they didn't lead a movement, they followed one. One started by bands like Stone Roses...a better band in my opinion.

"So did Oasis. "British Invasion", have you heard about it? Oasis and Spice Girls were leaders in that concept... "

Ahhhhh... didn't the Beatles coin that phrase?

Harry Vest said:
all Oasis ever did was feed they're horribly large ego's with lies about being the next Beatles. Pathetic losers.

Exactly!

Harry Vest said:

You do know that there was, once upon a time, this band called The Pixies, right? :sexywink:

Wow, good question. They're both bands that I never really found to be distinctive from their contemporaries, yet got much more credit.

My pick would have to be Nirvana though, of the Seattle Four, Soundgarden was more breakthrough, Pearl Jam was/is more creative and exciting, and Alice in Chains, just plain cooler.

Back
Top Bottom