Vrbno pod Pradědem Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:

at first i was wondering wtf you were doing up so early, then i remembered high school. oh how i loathed that. i did live close enoguth to school that i could wake up at 6:50 or 7 though.

I loved that I lived close enough to my primary schools in both New Zealand and Australia that I could wake at 8:40am and not be late.

For high school, I got up around 7:30am initially, then I became an early bird and got up at 5:50am because I liked to.

How times change.

Axver said:
We could play duelling solos! By which I mean you'll be coming in on a five second delay behind a wall of static while I try to remember which end to strum at.

Let's make it easy on ourselves and play LAPOE so we can just play dueling scales.

phillyfan26 said:

Bad reference to Bowie's Space Oddity:

This is ground control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know who's shirt you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

*smacks head* I thought it was a song!

Damn, I haven't listened to that one in a while though. But I was considering it for my Desert Island mix!

major_panic said:

*smacks head* I thought it was a song!

Damn, I haven't listened to that one in a while though. But I was considering it for my Desert Island mix!

I recall YLB using it in his Symphonic Album mix.

major_panic said:

Exactly! Which is why going to places like Springvale always annoys the hell out of me.

I'm all for ethnic diversity, but we have to remember that we're not the original "people of the land" as it were; we chose to be where we were and so we should at least learn how to speak with others and ourselves in the local language.

Though this does raise the question: why don't we learn Aboriginal languages?

Oh, that's right, because nobody fucking cares about the Aborigines. I sincerely hate to think what other countries in the world are like when Australia, with the third highest living standards in the world (beaten only by Norway and Iceland), treats its indigenous population like absolute SHIT, condemning them to social marginalisation and economic conditions worse than some third world countries.

/tangentrant

phillyfan26 said:

Let's make it easy on ourselves and play LAPOE so we can just play dueling scales.

:lol:

How about we do 4th Of July so that we're really just making it up as we go?

Axver said:

Oh, that's right, because nobody fucking cares about the Aborigines. I sincerely hate to think what other countries in the world are like when Australia, with the third highest living standards in the world (beaten only by Norway and Iceland), treats its indigenous population like absolute SHIT, condemning them to social marginalisation and economic conditions worse than some third world countries.

/tangentrant

I was gonna add on something about them, but I'd've gone off on a huge rant, so I didn't.

At least we've apologised, for what good that's done.

Axver said:

/tangentrant

aboriginal studies are part of all primary school and high school curriculums now.

I'll be back in about 20-25 minutes, folks. :wave:

Ali, just sent you an e-mail. :)

Oh, and Maj., before I go, one question: how are you going healthwise? Do you think you'll be well enough to make the lecture tomorrow?

Wow, this thread grew up a few pages while I was doing some other stuff.

/tangentrant

I hear you, I seriously want to do some work with Aboriginal communities when I'm a bit older. I always wanted to do the same with native Americans too. I just have a complete utmost respect for remaining indigenous people in such massively colonized lands.

-=THIS DIDN'T TURN INTO A RANT.=-

mysterious_jen said:
aboriginal studies are part of all primary school and high school curriculums now.

When did this happen? Must be pretty damn recent, as we did sweet fuck-all. I think the only time the Aborigines were mentioned in all of my time at high school was during grade ten Modern History (an elective), and only in passing in a unit about the European colonisation of Australia.

But hey, I lived in Queensland, quite possibly the worst place for Aboriginal marginalisation and discrimination in the whole bloody country outside of Wilson Tuckey's electorate.

mysterious_jen said:

first single relase DIES :faint:

no line on the horizon anyone ???

The whole U2:3D thing has put you on a U2 High too eh?

I'm watching the Milan DVD at the moment, It has been collecting dust since about December 2006.

bono_man2002 said:

:hyper:

Who Knows where we will all be in a year. I just really want the album to hurry up, or at least a single ....or a 3 second clip of the first single :drool:

The only problem I'd have with a 3 second clip of the first single coming out would be the inevitable backlash that'd flow through EYKIW.

It'd just go nuts; one bloke'd point out how similar Bono's voice is to various half-a-second clips from obscure bootlegs, another'd go on and on asking for more information, another'd just spam things like "ZOMG TEH NEW ALBUM SOUNDS ROXXORZ!", another'd be complaining about the guitar and the quality of the clip and a couple would be talking up Bono's sneeze on TV to mean the new direction that U2 are taking.

Then someone'd compare it to Pop, and then about a billion threads about how the clip compares to every single song in the history of U2 would pop up.

major_panic said:

I was gonna add on something about them, but I'd've gone off on a huge rant, so I didn't.

At least we've apologised, for what good that's done.

It shits me so much. I remember doing Maori culture and language in New Zealand and I loved it. I've some quite fond memories of those lessons.

I can't believe it took us so fucking long just to get to an apology. Hey, Howard? GFY, bitch.

Axver said:
Oh, and Maj., before I go, one question: how are you going healthwise? Do you think you'll be well enough to make the lecture tomorrow?

I am, but I'm not gonna come in. I honestly don't want to risk it. I mean, I can walk, but by my normal standards I'm still pretty damned sick (can't run, jump, walk distances past about 1km, etc) and so I'm not sure I'd survive the hour-and-a-bit journey in to uni.

major_panic said:

The only problem I'd have with a 3 second clip of the first single coming out would be the inevitable backlash that'd flow through EYKIW.

It'd just go nuts; one bloke'd point out how similar Bono's voice is to various half-a-second clips from obscure bootlegs, another'd go on and on asking for more information, another'd just spam things like "ZOMG TEH NEW ALBUM SOUNDS ROXXORZ!", another'd be complaining about the guitar and the quality of the clip and a couple would be talking up Bono's sneeze on TV to mean the new direction that U2 are taking.

Then someone'd compare it to Pop, and then about a billion threads about how the clip compares to every single song in the history of U2 would pop up.

:laugh:

I think that's what happend with Vertigo, and then after not even a year of Everyone flogging HTDAAB we hated it.

Axver said:

It shits me so much. I remember doing Maori culture and language in New Zealand and I loved it. I've some quite fond memories of those lessons.

I can't believe it took us so fucking long just to get to an apology. Hey, Howard? GFY, bitch.

And he STILL thinks he was doing the right thing. Someone should go Chuck Norris on his arse.

I find Aboriginal culture and beliefs fascinating, especially the Dreamtime stuff. Pity I never really LEARNED ANYTHING ABOUT IT THANKS HOWARD.

bono_man2002 said:

:laugh:

I think that's what happend with Vertigo, and then after not even a year of Everyone flogging HTDAAB we hated it.

Awesome. I'll just wait for the first few threads titled "Bono said that the new single" and "Bono's voice now" and "Teh new album" to run then.

:wink:

Do you guys remember the day Vertigo got airplay on the radio for the first time?

and Nova and MMM were playing it at least once an hour!

it was the day before the 2004 AFL Grand Final, thats All I remember.......Good fucking times!

Axver said:
We could play duelling solos! By which I mean you'll be coming in on a five second delay behind a wall of static while I try to remember which end to strum at.
:scratch:

... the thick end. :yes:

Didn't find drill-guitar guy, but I did spot some early Tripod :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2wJDnyd-ow

Watch me take on the Gloria solo... right before I get rushed to hospital with a critical finger/bass string tangling injury.... :yikes:

major_panic said:

I am, but I'm not gonna come in. I honestly don't want to risk it. I mean, I can walk, but by my normal standards I'm still pretty damned sick (can't run, jump, walk distances past about 1km, etc) and so I'm not sure I'd survive the hour-and-a-bit journey in to uni.

Yeah, don't push yourself. That probably wouldn't be smart. I'll see you next week then, I hope! Don't go having a kidney removed or anything! :lol:

And now I really am out. See you folk in 20-25 minutes!

See ya in a while Ax!

@Ali: I don't think I'll be making it to the midnight screening, so you can probably free up the ticket :( Thanks for holding it for me though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom